Thread: NHL Draft Lottery Status

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default NHL Draft Lottery Status

If there is no more hockey this season, is there any chance that the League decides to scratch the Draft Lottery and just go based on who finished last, second last, third last etc??

Or is this wishful thinking?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: NHL Draft Lottery Status

I doubt that happens, although it wouldn't be the worst idea. I can see them doing something along the lines of the Crosby draft coming out of the lockout, but who knows how this will play out.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I doubt that happens, although it wouldn't be the worst idea. I can see them doing something along the lines of the Crosby draft coming out of the lockout, but who knows how this will play out.
    One can only hope.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This make sense. Seems highly unlikely that the NHL gives the worst team first overall pick. The draft lottery was designed to give all non-playoff teams a shot at the top 3 picks. If anything I would see the league going the otherway and expanding the teams in the lottery from 16 to 20, to account for the fact that certain bubble teams may have missed the playoffs.

If the playoffs are played as regular, 16 teams in, then the 15 on the outside will probably use the standard lottery results. In some ways that lets all teams get something: a playoff berth or a lottery berth. If the season is cancelled and no playoffs are played I suspect the league will want to do a lottery to get some hype going leading into the next season.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

They'll find a way to work in a lottery system of some kind, and the lottery draft show might be a collection of Skype calls. If nothing else it'll draw some eyeballs.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    This make sense. Seems highly unlikely that the NHL gives the worst team first overall pick. The draft lottery was designed to give all non-playoff teams a shot at the top 3 picks. If anything I would see the league going the otherway and expanding the teams in the lottery from 16 to 20, to account for the fact that certain bubble teams may have missed the playoffs.

If the playoffs are played as regular, 16 teams in, then the 15 on the outside will probably use the standard lottery results. In some ways that lets all teams get something: a playoff berth or a lottery berth. If the season is cancelled and no playoffs are played I suspect the league will want to do a lottery to get some hype going leading into the next season.
    I could see them expanding the lottery due to the uncertainty with the bubble teams. They’d also likely rank each team by points per game, it would be the fairest way IMO.

No chance they go with the Crosby lottery plan. That season had no results to go off of while this one has a significant portion wrapped up. Also can’t see them going strictly with the reverse rankings, the NHL loves the suspense of the lottery.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Jedi

I haven't looked but if the NHL ends the reg season and goes by a point percentage are the Leafs out or in?

it's an Interesting note as the 2020 - 1st to Carolina is top 10 protected.
    Similar as with Vancouver's 1st which now belongs to NJ. it is lotto protected.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

The news today about a potential tournament for the top pick is absolutely terrifying for me.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    The news today about a potential tournament for the top pick is absolutely terrifying for me.
    Corona virus makes everyone go crazy. Billionaires and lawyers are no different.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I’d bet my house that doesn’t happen, it’s a dumb idea in my opinion.

They should just keep it simple. Adjust the standings by winning percentage and use the same lottery odds as usual. The bubble teams that don’t qualify, well it’s just bad luck for them. The flaw in this system, if the season is ultimately canceled, is that we’d be using the current (adjusted) standings for non-playoff teams but how do you rank or determine the draft order for the playoff teams? I’d say simply have an unweighted lottery for all 16 teams.

Administrator

There's nothing else going on right now so fringe ideas will be covered as major stories. It's going to happen a lot.

Dobber Sports Jedi

It would be a way to drum up a lot of extra $$ in lieu of a reg. season - that would be the goal of that I would imagine
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4