Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Just for your comfort sake:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/eligibility.html

The following information is a guideline. We encourage you to apply for benefits so our processing agents can determine if you are eligible.
    You may be entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits if you:

• were employed in insurable employment;
    • lost your job through no fault of your own;
    • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
    • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
    • are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
    • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).

So you can look back through the previous months as well. Did you shut down for 7+ days at Christmas?
    Two weeks off for vacation does not count.
    This is first time I have needed to apply for EI. Been pretty much working all my life or in self employment. I guess now is a good time to read up on all the rules. Thanks for the additional info.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by sLeePickeR View Post
    This is first time I have needed to apply for EI. Been pretty much working all my life or in self employment. I guess now is a good time to read up on all the rules. Thanks for the additional info.
    it's worth the 10min or so. Hopefully you never need it again.. Unless it's parental benefits

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My brother is in a similar situation as a self-employed guitar teacher. He lost all his income due to working in schools. We set him up so he can do lessons over Skype. But now according to the rules if he makes any money he is ineligible for CERB. It's weird because doing nothing makes him lose his connections and discourages him from trying something new that could pay off later. People should be encouraged to try something new and make a bit of money or work a couple days per week if possible. There's a way to work that in and also avoid the potential for abusing the system.

The traditional EI rules make sense. You get your benefit and lose 50% of your other income.
    Sounds like you might want to share the info I just gave Sleeperpick with your brother.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

CERB is paying out in 2-4 days after application. Both EI and CPP

Dobber Sports Master

looks like they need a doctors note . All I have a ohip telehealth nurse advising me I should self isolate x 14 days and an understanding boss . Now that I've rested up and havent left house since friday the 10th of april I'm doing a bit better in the nagging cold symptom dept . My fam doc is only doing telephone appointment and I have that booked for the 17th which would be 3 days before returning to work - he has no idea I'm self isolating

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    looks like they need a doctors note . All I have a ohip telehealth nurse advising me I should self isolate x 14 days and an understanding boss . Now that I've rested up and havent left house since friday the 10th of april I'm doing a bit better in the nagging cold symptom dept . My fam doc is only doing telephone appointment and I have that booked for the 17th which would be 3 days before returning to work - he has no idea I'm self isolating
    Who needs a Dr. note? EI? Nope.. we don't - tell the person to read their COVID updates.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Who needs a Dr. note? EI? Nope.. we don't - tell the person to read their COVID updates.
    Have to add... If it's requested again - the medical note - ask the person 'How do I go to a doctor and get a medical note when I'm in quarantine and am not allowed to leave my house to see a doctor? Will you pay my $1000 fine for breaking quarantine?'

Dobber Sports Star

They have lightened the requirement for doctor's notes in light of Covid-19. Keep in mind, they reserve the right to ask you for one at a later time. And there are still rare cases even today, where we do require a doctor's note. In your circumstance, Butch, they shouldn't require one at this time.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Would appreciate some perspective on my situation. I'm self employed, but essentially been on contract with one client for the past few years. My hours are now uncertain. Let's say it could be 1 or 2 hours a week, or down to zero, which is far less than just collecting CERB.

If it also factors in, I have two children which I'm now helping take care of with my wife since we have a newborn and a 2yr old without her daycare now.

So regarding CERB, do I just apply and then
    A) help my client but not invoice my client and take CERB
    B) invoice my client for the couple hours, but also collect CERB, since for any given week or month I could end up working 0 hours for all I know? Does this screw me over? Or am I being honest since there is no certainty of any hours coming to me?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    Would appreciate some perspective on my situation. I'm self employed, but essentially been on contract with one client for the past few years. My hours are now uncertain. Let's say it could be 1 or 2 hours a week, or down to zero, which is far less than just collecting CERB.

If it also factors in, I have two children which I'm now helping take care of with my wife since we have a newborn and a 2yr old without her daycare now.

So regarding CERB, do I just apply and then
    A) help my client but not invoice my client and take CERB
    B) invoice my client for the couple hours, but also collect CERB, since for any given week or month I could end up working 0 hours for all I know? Does this screw me over? Or am I being honest since there is no certainty of any hours coming to me?
    A - Ethically.. you can't expect an answer to that
    B - if you look up CERB you require $0 income to apply.
    C - you're the Canadian example Trudeau is talking about right now in saying he's working on something for you because right now, CERB leaves you on the outside.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thank you for the very fast reply, I appreciate this help.

Does CERB count as income that I'd pay income tax on at the end of the year?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    Thank you for the very fast reply, I appreciate this help.

Does CERB count as income that I'd pay income tax on at the end of the year?
    Yes.. you will pay income tax when you file in 2021.

It's tax free now because you need the $$ now.

Dobber Sports Master

so whats considered a chronic health condition requiring someone to self isolate in the eyes of EI ?

so heres one of the questions using the ontario health self assessment tool
    Do any of the following apply to you?
    I am over 70 years of age
    I have a condition that affects my immune system (for example, HIV/AIDS)
    I have a chronic health condition (for example, diabetes, heart condition)
    I am getting treatment that affects my immune system (for example, chemotherapy)

so I bolded diabetes there because thats me . so when I complete the quiz I get the following advice

You are in an at-risk group because you said one of the following applies to you:
    are over 70 years of age
    have a condition that affects your immune system (for example, HIV/AIDS)
    have a chronic health condition (for example, diabetes, heart condition)
    are getting treatment that affects your immune system (for example, chemotherapy)
    You must self-isolate, which means:
    only leave your home or see other people for critical reasons (like a medical emergency)
    seek services over the phone or online or ask for help from friends, family or neighbours
    do not go into a hospital or clinic to get a COVID-19 test unless you are asked to by a health care provider

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    so whats considered a chronic health condition requiring someone to self isolate in the eyes of EI ?

so heres one of the questions using the ontario health self assessment tool
    Do any of the following apply to you?
    I am over 70 years of age
    I have a condition that affects my immune system (for example, HIV/AIDS)
    I have a chronic health condition (for example, diabetes, heart condition)
    I am getting treatment that affects my immune system (for example, chemotherapy)

so I bolded diabetes there because thats me . so when I complete the quiz I get the following advice

You are in an at-risk group because you said one of the following applies to you:
    are over 70 years of age
    have a condition that affects your immune system (for example, HIV/AIDS)
    have a chronic health condition (for example, diabetes, heart condition)
    are getting treatment that affects your immune system (for example, chemotherapy)
    You must self-isolate, which means:
    only leave your home or see other people for critical reasons (like a medical emergency)
    seek services over the phone or online or ask for help from friends, family or neighbours
    do not go into a hospital or clinic to get a COVID-19 test unless you are asked to by a health care provider
    This isn't an EI thing - you apply via EI - but the advice to self-isolate comes from Health Canada - not Service Canada or Canada Revenue Agency.

The information is posted on SC & CRA sites because that's where the applications are and applicants need the information.

If you are self-quarantining because you have been directed to do so - apply.

Your application will be automated. No medical is required.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Rylant

Again, thank-you. I have submitted the application and now we wait...
    Hello again everyone. I thought that I would drop an update on here in hopes this info can help someone out in any way.

I had applied for EI on March 24th (thanks Rylant) and applied for CERB on Monday April 6. This morning there was a $2000 deposit in my account. I assume that this $2000 is going to replace the EI but I can't be sure.

Stay safe everyone.

Moses
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Hello again everyone. I thought that I would drop an update on here in hopes this info can help someone out in any way.

I had applied for EI on March 24th (thanks Rylant) and applied for CERB on Monday April 6. This morning there was a $2000 deposit in my account. I assume that this $2000 is going to replace the EI but I can't be sure.

Stay safe everyone.

Moses
    It's suppose to, but it won't automatically. some Canadians have been paid both. If you've received your CERB payment - there's no reason to continue doing your EI reports.
    If you receive a payment from EI for this same period - you will have an overpayment and have to pay the extra back
    At a later date.

My advice if that happens. Contact Service Canada or CRA - notify them of the duplicate -

buy a 3mth GIC - makes some safe interest - and wait for a notice of debt in the mail.

The notice of debt will take months. Take safe advantage of it.