Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    so I visited the ontario health self assessment quiz and it concluded that I should self isolate because I'm diabetic (this is news to me) I'm otherwise fine with no symptoms aside from what feels like mild cold symptoms that havent escalated into anything more serious for around 1 month now. I dont have the bad headache , sore throat associated with covid - havent been in contact with someone thats traveled .

I called ontario telehealth to chat with rep and they said an RN will call me between 7/10 pm tonight . Should I ask for some type of reference # that I can use to apply for UI ? Health canada website doesnt say anything about diabetics being required to self isolate so I'm a little confused .

heres the health ontario self assessment tool
    https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/#q0
    As Lucafen4 said, it’s correct, there is no reference number. Here at EI we are talking people at their self-attestation that they were instructed to isolate by a health practitioner, and that is enough for eligibility. Of course, if you were found to be lying about it, you could find yourself in trouble later. That is the kind of thing that is very difficult to prove, however. Also, since I assume you are being honest here, I would say you don’t have to worry about that in the slightest.

Also know, that while self-isolation may seem extreme considering your situation, I believe the health practitioners giving advice are also very much erring in the side of caution. If there is any risk at all, to be safe and protect the masses, self-isolation is going to be recommended.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    As Lucafen4 said, it’s correct, there is no reference number. Here at EI we are talking people at their self-attestation that they were instructed to isolate by a health practitioner, and that is enough for eligibility. Of course, if you were found to be lying about it, you could find yourself in trouble later. That is the kind of thing that is very difficult to prove, however. Also, since I assume you are being honest here, I would say you don’t have to worry about that in the slightest.

Also know, that while self-isolation may seem extreme considering your situation, I believe the health practitioners giving advice are also very much erring in the side of caution. If there is any risk at all, to be safe and protect the masses, self-isolation is going to be recommended.

Rylant
    7% higher risk for diabetics to become a death stat compared to joe average . obviously someone like myself who has his diabetes and ulcerative colitis under control will fare better than someone out of remission in their UC state and has whacky blood sugar levels due to poor effort in controling diabetes .

thanks for heads up

Dobber Sports Master

update , ohip telehealth nurse was quite friendly and frank . she thinks I should self isolate for 14 days to see if I can shake off the mild cold symptoms also factoring in my underlying diabetes etc.

she had no case number to give me to submit to the Feds for Justins CERD program but my employer said its supposed to be very seamless process .

Dobber Sports Ace

My wife was laid off due to COVID-19 and has filed for EI but hasn't been able to get a ROE from her employer yet. Will her claim be backdated to last day of work, or to the date of the claim, once it has been processed?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    My wife was laid off due to COVID-19 and has filed for EI but hasn't been able to get a ROE from her employer yet. Will her claim be backdated to last day of work, or to the date of the claim, once it has been processed?
    When was she laid off?

If she was entitled to regular EI benefits BEFORE March 15th, her claim will process as a normal EI claim and it will be backdated to when she stopped working, provided she applies with 4 weeks of her last day of work. She will also need to secure the ROE from her employer so we can process and calculate her claim.

However, if she did not get laid off before March 15th, her claim will process as a CERB claim. She will qualify for the $500 per week and it will not be necessary to supply the ROE to qualify for the CERB.

Hope this helps.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Everyone should keep in mind, the reason that they are processing any sickness or regular claims as CERB claims with a start date of 15/03/2020 or later, is simply because of the sheer number of applications we have had in the last 3 weeks. Most people are aware that we have had millions apply lately; more in the last 2 weeks than applied last year. I have heard over 3 million applications in the last 3 weeks and that number is going up rapidly. Approximately 40 percent of applications normally, can be processed automatically with no human interaction whatsover; the computer processes those claims. Keep in mind, that in order for that to happen, there has to be nothing contentious on the claim, all relevant ROEs need to be on file and the applicant needs to have filled out the application properly. The other 60 percent of claims need human interaction, which means a calculating agent or a adjudicator needs to review the claim in order to finalize it. ROEs might be missing or filled out incorrectly, employers may need to be contacted to determine if there was any form of misconduct with regards to a Reason for Separation, or the client may need to be contacted to verify incorrect information on the application. These things take time and resources. The timeframe to finalize an initial claim is suggested to be 28 calendar days from the date of application, but even this 28 day timeframe is not a promise or guarantee. With the insane number of applications, that 28 day timeframe would skyrocket for many claims.

So, they have changed the rules. All regular or sickness claims which would be eligible with a date of 15/03/2020 or later (EI uses a Sunday to Saturday work week) and the Reason for Separation (RFS) is Covid-19 related, will finalize as CERB claims. It is incredibly easy to qualify for CERB claims as the eligibility is quite light. This is VERY intentional so that the computer can finalize these claims with little or no human interaction. Your potentially contentious RFS is not going to be reviewed, the ROE does not need to be on file. The computer has already processed hundreds of thousands of claims and I expect that number to be over a million claims shortly, if it isn't already, and put people into pay with CERB claims. After the CERB claims run out, if you still need EI they will review at that time. Your CERB weeks of entitlement do not affect your EI weeks of entitlement. The rules are changing daily.

I hope that this clears some things up.

Rylant

Administrator

The CERB application website has some contradicting info so I'm not even sure where to apply. My last day of work was March 27. My workplace is on temporary shutdown due to the covid.

The other thing, I just started a Patreon for Frozen Tools. That means my "other" income is not zero (though I only collect the money May 1st so I can still cancel everything if need be). Under CERB I would not be eligible yet under EI I would be eligible but would lose half of my other income.

Hoping to get this sorted out by tomorrow night. I'll report back as I find out more. I can't be the only one in this situation.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The CERB application website has some contradicting info so I'm not even sure where to apply. My last day of work was March 27. My workplace is on temporary shutdown due to the covid.

The other thing, I just started a Patreon for Frozen Tools. That means my "other" income is not zero (though I only collect the money May 1st so I can still cancel everything if need be). Under CERB I would not be eligible yet under EI I would be eligible but would lose half of my other income.

Hoping to get this sorted out by tomorrow night. I'll report back as I find out more. I can't be the only one in this situation.
    Apply for EI
    March 27th you had your interruption of earnings. So you are eligible for EI.
    It will allow you to claim your 'other' income as you submit your reports.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

At the bottom of this page:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...plication.html

There is a very quick, 1-2 question, questionnaire.

It tells you after answering if you should apply for the CERB through

a. Service Canada - Employment Insurance
    b. Canada Revenue Agency

They've made this more confusing than necessary by using CERB for Serv. Can AND CRA.

Hopefully people read it. It will be unfortunate for those that apply for CRA when they should have applied through EI. I can see delays occurring in Canadians receiving payment as a result

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    If she applied within 28 days of her last day of work - yes it'll start the Sunday before or after her last day.
    She won't be punished for SC delays (if any) in processing the claim - if she applied on time

Employers issuing ROE's can be difficult right now. Especially if it's a small employer that doesn't lay off staff often. Some don't have ROE's on hand and have to order them.
    She will want to keep inquiring with her employer.
    If it persists - Service Canada can create an ROE based on financial information she provides. That would be used to calculate the claim and pay her until the real ROE arrives & then the claim recalculated.

Rylant is right on the affect March 15th has on benefit rates. As of March 15 and after - everyone is at $500.
    Prior to March 15 it's based on 55% of gross weekly earnings to a max rate of $573 per week.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Apply for EI
    March 27th you had your interruption of earnings. So you are eligible for EI.
    It will allow you to claim your 'other' income as you submit your reports.
    Does getting EI instead of CERB hurt me in any way short and long term? (money per month would be "roughly" the same either way)

My Patreon income is low right now because it just launched a few days ago. So if it hurts me in any way I can just cancel it before Patreon pays me on May 1st.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Does getting EI instead of CERB hurt me in any way short and long term? (money per month would be "roughly" the same either way)

My Patreon income is low right now because it just launched a few days ago. So if it hurts me in any way I can just cancel it before Patreon pays me on May 1st.
    The only difference you will see is deducting your weekly earnings - deductions will be 50% of your earnings. If you know what Patreon will pay you - you'll want/need to allocate that based on avg. weekly earnings. I have a feeling you won't know exactly how much each week your earnings were. If you do - then that's what you need to report.

Administrator

Patreon will be paying me monthly. So I guess it would be one week of income followed by three weeks of nothing.

They pay me on the 1st of each month. There's a very specific reason I waited till April 2nd to launch the service.

Dobber Sports Star

One thing to take into consideration, is that the earnings you are receiving on the patreon channel is not considered normal earnings like a part time job would be considered, and as Lucafen4 said, would be deducted at an approximate rate of 50 percent of your rate earned. Patreon earnings would be considered self-employment earnings. On a regular EI claim, all potential self-Employment situations have to be reviewed for eligibility by a specialized agent. Not saying that you would not be entitled to benefits, but the review process takes time and could very well delay the start of your claim. At this particular time, that delay could be prolonged.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    One thing to take into consideration, is that the earnings you are receiving on the patreon channel is not considered normal earnings like a part time job would be considered, and as Lucafen4 said, would be deducted at an approximate rate of 50 percent of your rate earned. Patreon earnings would be considered self-employment earnings. On a regular EI claim, all potential self-Employment situations have to be reviewed for eligibility by a specialized agent. Not saying that you would not be entitled to benefits, but the review process takes time and could very well delay the start of your claim. At this particular time, that delay could be prolonged.

Rylant
    All issues are being deferred. Everything is just being finalized