Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Is the Emergency Care Benefit available to a young person who was not in the labour force prior to the outbreak of COVID (due to a disability)?
    CRA hasn't posted much about this yet. Keep tuned to their website for updates and details.

The one thing the public needs to know/understand is that when Trudeau announced the ECB - that's when it was announced to the public service as well. We had no warning emails any changes or additions etc. were coming when he made that speech. EI rules change daily right now adjusting to the ongoing situation.

With the Emergency Care Benefit - they have to write the legislation to create it before the website can be updated with a lot of detail. it is going to be a lot of learning on the fly for CRA on this one.

Here's your best spot to start:
    https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...dividuals.html.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Can anyone make any sense out of the 75% wage subsidy being based off of the impact on sales?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Can anyone make any sense out of the 75% wage subsidy being based off of the impact on sales?
    All the details are coming out later. I listened to the press conference and this is my best guess:

1. Employer must show they have had a REVENUE drop of 30% or more "due to Covid-19". I assume if you can show a revenue drop you can establish it's due to Covid-19.
    No details on how this is compared. Is it month-over-month or year-over-year. For some businesses showing month-over-month makes sense. For some annually cyclical businesses year-over-year makes sense.

2. Once the drop is established the Federal Government will pay up to 75% of the wages of every employee, up to $58,700 a year. Or a cheque for $847/week/employee.

My other thoughts regarding what Trudeau said:
    1. I don't think there is going to be a "per employer cap" or it will be very large. Companies with thousands of employees are getting the subsidy I think.
    2. Trudeau encouraged employers to pay the "other 25% if they can" so employer may not be mandated to pay anything. These workers are likely not working then...

I see the outcome being a lot of employees end up on effective lay-off, where they do not go to work but get 75% of their salary. The upside is all those employees stay on the payroll and are ready to go back to work immediately once they can.
    Those who are working get their 100% (75% from government).

It's a good idea overall, I think.
    Problems will stem from the definition of 30% revenue drop and employers being able to prove or not prove same.
    Also, some employers will want to take 75% and "lay-off" over 100% and working.

Lots of details need to be released still and now that their is an eligibility requirement for employers an application of some sort needs to be processed.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Monster

Hey Rylant. I am on Employment Insurance from a claim that started back in November. My recent work project for 2 months was cancelled because of the COVID-19 crisis. I have about 11 weeks remaining on my current claim. Do you think there is any way it gets extended or if I would qualify for any other type of insurance money? 2019 I worked about 1100 hours total.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Hey Rylant. I am on Employment Insurance from a claim that started back in November. My recent work project for 2 months was cancelled because of the COVID-19 crisis. I have about 11 weeks remaining on my current claim. Do you think there is any way it gets extended or if I would qualify for any other type of insurance money? 2019 I worked about 1100 hours total.
    Wouldn't you get your 4 months of CERB ($2000/month) after your EI is done?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Wouldn't you get your 4 months of CERB ($2000/month) after your EI is done?
    I hope so. I start work again in July once my benefits are over. Id phone EI right now but hearing from others that may be a hard task at the moment. I am just worried the Covid crisis keeps going on and that project gets cancelled. The last work project I start is start of August which would give me enough EI hours for a new claim to start in the fall though. Just hope this doesn't drag on too long or it could mean a lot of uncertainty!

Dobber Sports Star

Hey sorry I must have missed this.

Right now things are changing daily. They say, that any claim which uses the CERB won't have it affect your current claim. So as ED has suggested, if you exhaust your regular EI claim, you may very well be qualified to receive the CERB after.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Hey sorry I must have missed this.

Right now things are changing daily. They say, that any claim which uses the CERB won't have it affect your current claim. So as ED has suggested, if you exhaust your regular EI claim, you may very well be qualified to receive the CERB after.

Rylant
    No worries Rylant I just posted it today. Thank you for your response. I am in no means in dire need for money but Just having this as security is helpful. My work is seasonal so We basically work 6 months of the year and 6 months I am on employment insurance. Just hope I can work the following projects so I can secure enough employment insurance throughout the winter. Brutal times for sure. Hope you are all doing well.

Administrator

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Awesome, good stuff! Looks like I would be eligible.

Dobber Sports Star

Yep. Many are. That website posted by ED is the place to keep looking for daily updates for CERB.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Jedi

Yup... you'll finish off your existing EI claim first... if I'm understanding things correctly

Dobber Sports Master

so I visited the ontario health self assessment quiz and it concluded that I should self isolate because I'm diabetic (this is news to me) I'm otherwise fine with no symptoms aside from what feels like mild cold symptoms that havent escalated into anything more serious for around 1 month now. I dont have the bad headache , sore throat associated with covid - havent been in contact with someone thats traveled .

I called ontario telehealth to chat with rep and they said an RN will call me between 7/10 pm tonight . Should I ask for some type of reference # that I can use to apply for UI ? Health canada website doesnt say anything about diabetics being required to self isolate so I'm a little confused .

heres the health ontario self assessment tool
    https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/#q0

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    so I visited the ontario health self assessment quiz and it concluded that I should self isolate because I'm diabetic (this is news to me) I'm otherwise fine with no symptoms aside from what feels like mild cold symptoms that havent escalated into anything more serious for around 1 month now. I dont have the bad headache , sore throat associated with covid - havent been in contact with someone thats traveled .

I called ontario telehealth to chat with rep and they said an RN will call me between 7/10 pm tonight . Should I ask for some type of reference # that I can use to apply for UI ? Health canada website doesnt say anything about diabetics being required to self isolate so I'm a little confused .

heres the health ontario self assessment tool
    https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/#q0
    Nope. No reference # required. Every application coming right now is being completed as a CERB claim - you'll get $500/wk - no waiting period.

I would self-isolate until you have the RN call you back on the safe side. I would imagine where you've had the same symptoms for a month - it's just a lingering cold and they won't require self-isolation...

that said.. better safe than sorry.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Nope. No reference # required. Every application coming right now is being completed as a CERB claim - you'll get $500/wk - no waiting period.

I would self-isolate until you have the RN call you back on the safe side. I would imagine where you've had the same symptoms for a month - it's just a lingering cold and they won't require self-isolation...

that said.. better safe than sorry.
    yes , lingering cold for sure but it still kinda makes me wonder since some cases only display cold symptoms . I'm not blowing my nose several times through day and when I do the color of the fun stuff is clear , not green so to me thats not a flu .

thanks for heads up . my wife also reminded me that I have ulcerative colitis but its been in remission thanks to expensive meds(called salofalk) for at least 5 years but if getting covid 19 takes me out of remission thats going to be nasty to deal with on top of .....

I'll update tommorrow after hopefully getting a call from rn tonight .