Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

Administrator

Default Re: Any Employment Insurance questions out there?

I looked around my account area and there's no due date posted anywhere so I'm assuming we're not there yet.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I looked around my account area and there's no due date posted anywhere so I'm assuming we're not there yet.
    You can always attempt to complete a report. If it's early it'll tell you.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Thanks. I tried and the system is forcing me to do a report for the period before April 11. I already got paid by EI/CERB for that period. I'll call Monday and figure it out over the phone.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Do we apply for the CERB each month?
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Do we apply for the CERB each month?
    Yes.

Rylant

Administrator

When you go in just make sure you select the correct period to apply.

Dobber Sports Ace

Perhaps one of you kind individuals can point me in the right direction to apply for the student benefit? There is nothing in my CRA account page, and if I google it I get a bunch of pages that talk about the benefit, but no links to an application portal. I'm probably missing something, haha.

Administrator

My understanding is the application will be done the same way as CERB, so if it's not there it's probably not available yet.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Perhaps one of you kind individuals can point me in the right direction to apply for the student benefit? There is nothing in my CRA account page, and if I google it I get a bunch of pages that talk about the benefit, but no links to an application portal. I'm probably missing something, haha.
    My documentation at work still only talks about proposed measures for the Canada Emergency Student Benefit. Also, at canada.ca, this is the only information I can see so far, "We are proposing the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) that would provide support to students and new graduates who are not eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or Employment Insurance or unable to work due to COVID-19.
    This benefit would provide $1,250 per month for eligible students or $2,000 per month for eligible students with dependents or disabilities.
    This benefit would be available from May to August 2020.
    More details will be made available soon."

I imagine we will see more on this shortly.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Does my daughter apply for CERB or for the CESB? She has just finished and graduated university.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Does my daughter apply for CERB or for the CESB? She has just finished and graduated university.
    If she would qualify for CERB, she should apply for it. This is the qualifying criteria:

The Benefit is available to workers:

Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
    Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits or Employment Insurance fishing benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;
    Who had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and,
    Who have not quit their job voluntarily.
    When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.

When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim.
    She could apply by going https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...plication.html or by calling 1‑800‑959‑2019 or 1‑800‑959‑2041.

If she does not qualify for CERB, she should look to apply for CESB. It is not available yet, but will be soon. This is what we know so far:
    We are proposing the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) that would provide support to students and new graduates who are not eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or Employment Insurance or unable to work due to COVID-19.

This benefit would provide $1,250 per month for eligible students or $2,000 per month for eligible students with dependents or disabilities.

This benefit would be available from May to August 2020.

More details will be made available soon.
    You will be able to see updates on the canada.ca website.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Question around the continuity of CERB if for one of the periods in the middle I make over $1000. I think I've read that the periods do not need to be consecutive, but would appreciate any confirmations.

Example:
    Say I've collected CERB twice now (March 15 - April 11, April 12 to May 9),
    And then for the period May 10 to June 6 I make over $1000 and I do not apply for this time period,
    If for the following period starting June 7 I make under $1000 again, can I apply again for this period now, even though I skipped the previous period?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    Question around the continuity of CERB if for one of the periods in the middle I make over $1000. I think I've read that the periods do not need to be consecutive, but would appreciate any confirmations.

Example:
    Say I've collected CERB twice now (March 15 - April 11, April 12 to May 9),
    And then for the period May 10 to June 6 I make over $1000 and I do not apply for this time period,
    If for the following period starting June 7 I make under $1000 again, can I apply again for this period now, even though I skipped the previous period?
    Sorry Striderz, I must have missed this question. Right now, this type of thing is a little up in the air. If you applied for the CERB claim through EI and you continue to do reports, the only thing that will prevent payment with regards to this kind of thing is if you report working 35 Hours or more in one week. The criteria says that you are not entitled to payments is you earn more than 1000 in a month for that month, however there is nothing in the system which will actually prevent payment if you do earn that much money. As long as you are working less than 35 hours in the week, you could report earnings of 500 dollars each week and still receive payment. Right now, the computer isn’t keeping a tally of your earnings for the month. It is presumed that at some point in the future, claims will start to be reviewed for this kind of thing and overpayments will be generated for people who received payments in this kind of situation.

Did you apply through EI? If you did, I suggest report your hours and earnings accurately, receive the payment even though you may not be entitled to it, and expect to have to pay it back later.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm self employed so I've applied directly through CRA My Account for two time periods. This last period I won't qualify for since I've made well I've made over the $1k. Hard to say yet where I'll sit for the next period

Dobber Sports Icon

Does my wife qualify for EI now that the government has changed the qualification rules?

She stopped going to her casual position in March due to Covid. We had a baby in April so she has not worked since. She did not have enough hours worked to qualify for EI at that time. She does have more than 120 hours worked over the past year and is currently staying home to care for our baby.