View Poll Results: Who will bounce back to reach their 2019-20 projected pace in a future season?

Voters
71. This poll is closed
  • Victor Arvidsson (Projected: 74; Actual: 40)

13 18.31%
  • Cam Atkinson (Projected: 67; Actual: 48)

18 25.35%
  • Drew Doughty (Projected: 53; Actual: 43)

14 19.72%
  • Matt Duchene (Projected: 66; Actual: 52)

6 8.45%
  • Johnny Gaudreau (Projected: 94; Actual: 68)

41 57.75%
  • Ryan Getzlaf (Projected: 62; Actual: 49)

10 14.08%
  • Claude Giroux (Projected: 89; Actual: 63)

10 14.08%
  • Shayne Gostisbehere (Projected: 58; Actual: 23)

10 14.08%
  • Mikael Granlund (Projected: 63; Actual: 39)

13 18.31%
  • Erik Karlsson (Projected: 77; Actual: 59)

11 15.49%
  • John Klingberg (Projected: 63; Actual: 45)

18 25.35%
  • Jonathan Marchessault (Projected: 72; Actual: 58)

14 19.72%
  • Nino Nierderreiter (Projected: 59; Actual: 35)

1 1.41%
  • Morgan Rielly (Projected: 70; Actual: 47)

39 54.93%
  • Tyler Seguin (Projected: 80; Actual: 59)

36 50.70%
  • Jeff Skinner (Projected: 61; Actual: 32)

7 9.86%
  • John Tavares (Projected: 91; Actual: 78)

20 28.17%
  • Jacob Trouba (Projected: 55; Actual: 32)

3 4.23%
  • Blake Wheeler (Projected: 88; Actual: 75)

17 23.94%
  • Mats Zuccarello (Projected: 63; Actual: 47)

4 5.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Which underperformers will bounce back?

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Which underperformers will bounce back?

We're all missing not only fantasy hockey, but also fun. So let's scratch both itches with a Roos Lets Loose Poll!

This month the focus is on players who performed poorly versus their 2019-20 expectations, but who might have a chance to bounce back in a future season. And boy oh boy, was this a time I could've used more than 20 poll spots, because there was no shortage of fantasy underperformers. In fact, here are ten who I decided not to put on the list because I didn't think there was a realistic chance they could bounce back in a future season to meet or exceed their 2019-20 predicted scoring total: Jamie Benn, Sean Couturier, Alex Galchenyuk, Yanni Gourde, Ryan Johansen, Phil Kessel, David Krejci, Alexander Radulov, P.K. Subban, and James van Riemsdyk.

Who else won't you see among the choices is (1) anyone 25 or under or who has played three or fewer full NHL seasons, (2) anyone 35 or older, (3) anyone who changed teams during the course of the season, and (4) goalies. The reasoning was that younger players might just be experiencing growing pains, whereas older players are more likely than not starting to trend downward. Players who changed teams were put into different circumstances than were envisioned, and goalies don't allow for "apple to apples" comparisons.

In the poll, you will see each player with two point totals listed in parentheses. The first was his 2019-20 predicted 82 game scoring rate according to the DobberHockey Fantasy Guide, and the second is what his 82 game scoring rate is as of now. What you need to do is vote for any players whom you believe will reach their 2019-20 predicted scoring rate in any future season, whether 2020-21 or another season. They just would have to reach that number at least one more time. And note that you can vote for as many or as few players as you want. I toyed with the idea of including a "none of the above" choice, but as you saw there were so many deserving of inclusion that I wanted to use all 20 slots.

After you cast your vote(s), post in the thread explaining who you voted for and why, as that way we can gain insight into the voting.

Enjoy, and be well.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Which underperformers will bounce back?

Here's who I voted for and why:

Doughty - Yes, he's logged a lot of miles and the Kings are back to being a team that struggles to score, but I see him getting 53 again since it's not too high of a target
    Rielly - Yes, Keefe was favoring Barrie even before Rielly got hurt, but Barrie will be gone next season and Rielly will be "the guy" again, and on that team it should be enough to net him 70
    Seguin - Yes, I worry about his supporting cast, but he's not that old and still shoots a ton, so I could see him putting the offense on his back and reaching 80+ at least once more
    Wheeler - This one is pretty simple, as if you take out his poor start he's since scored at an 88 point pace
    Zuccarello - Point per game since Zucker was traded means he should have a very solid 2020-21
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Ace

Rielly - Barrie departure and he's so young so to say he won't ever get to a 70 point season is hard for me to agree with even if they Leafs do manage to keep Barrie somehow.
    Gaudreau - Again, too young and on a good team. This year was what I think will prove anomalous - by a wide margin.
    Skinner - Young team on the rise, and 61 points isn't lofty enough for me to say he will never get there again. He's so darn streaky, he has proven to rattle off 30 in 30 pretty easily (that might be goals only, lol)
    Seguin - In hindsight, I may have not selected him given the team's defensive approach (great for the Stars in real NHL, but not so much for fantasy). I also didn't realize that Seguin has only hit the 80 mark twice ever. I still think he has another 80 pointer in him... just might not be with the Stars - or the Stars' current management.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Rielly - Barrie departure and he's so young so to say he won't ever get to a 70 point season is hard for me to agree with even if they Leafs do manage to keep Barrie somehow.
    Gaudreau - Again, too young and on a good team. This year was what I think will prove anomalous - by a wide margin.
    Skinner - Young team on the rise, and 61 points isn't lofty enough for me to say he will never get there again. He's so darn streaky, he has proven to rattle off 30 in 30 pretty easily (that might be goals only, lol)
    Seguin - In hindsight, I may have not selected him given the team's defensive approach (great for the Stars in real NHL, but not so much for fantasy). I also didn't realize that Seguin has only hit the 80 mark twice ever. I still think he has another 80 pointer in him... just might not be with the Stars - or the Stars' current management.
    In terms of Seguin, remember this is about 82 game pace, so he's hit the 80+ mark four times as a Star.

Dobber Sports Stud

I stayed rather conservative on this one - Doughty, Getzlaf, Marchessault, and Cam Atkinson. Struggled to WANT to put in Duchene, but... some of the others I just felt that those projections were way too high.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Is there an actual poll to vote?

Reilly-as long as Barrie is gone and he regains top PP and ice time he had prior to Barries arrival.

Marchessault-need a top PP instead of two split units. Also, Stone has to stay healthy so at ES opposing teams have to defend two really good lines assuming March and Stone are on different lines.

Getzlaf-mostly due to a 62 pt pace being fairly attainable. Hopefully Anaheim’s young guys maturing offset Getz growing another year older?

Wheeler - the young cast in Winnipeg will offset him getting older.

Gaudreau- he’s not going to get 94 but I think a point per game should be his new norm. It isn’t considered a bounce back as per the standards you stated but he’s the only young elite guy in the list so I thought it was worth mentioning.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by razarr View Post
    Is there an actual poll to vote?

Reilly-as long as Barrie is gone and he regains top PP and ice time he had prior to Barries arrival.

Marchessault-need a top PP instead of two split units. Also, Stone has to stay healthy so at ES opposing teams have to defend two really good lines assuming March and Stone are on different lines.

Getzlaf-mostly due to a 62 pt pace being fairly attainable. Hopefully Anaheim’s young guys maturing offset Getz growing another year older?

Wheeler - the young cast in Winnipeg will offset him getting older.

Gaudreau- he’s not going to get 94 but I think a point per game should be his new norm. It isn’t considered a bounce back as per the standards you stated but he’s the only young elite guy in the list so I thought it was worth mentioning.
    The poll is part of the thread - you should see it above the first posting. If not, then I'm not sure what's wrong.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    The poll is part of the thread - you should see it above the first posting. If not, then I'm not sure what's wrong.
    I can see it on my computer, not on my phone. All good!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Rielly
    Gaudreau
    Arvidsson
    Tavares
    and a ** to Ghost - he gets back to 50 but only if he is traded and gets #1PP time where he lands
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have a lot of those players having a rebound next year but not one of them reaching the projected total listed. For example, I can see Morgan Reilly back to 55-60 but I think 70+ is an outlier for him.

Many of those players have lost a step and are finding themselves losing time and PP time to younger, faster, cheaper teammates.