Thread: Quick story from today involving my brother

Administrator

Default Quick story from today involving my brother

I'm definitely a believer that out current shitty situation can be a blessing in disguise for those that choose to use the downtime to their advantage instead of being bored and getting bogged down in stuff just to pass the time. We can create new (better) habits, develop new skills and try new things. The key to the story below is how a small shift can shape your future. This could turn out to be his main source of revenue in the future. We will get through this and we will be better, if we focus our attention in the right places!

Turning a negative into a positive...

My brother is a guitar teacher who mostly teaches young kids in schools. Obviously his income is close to zero right now. Together we got him going on Skype today. I helped him with a few things and we did a few test calls to check for sound quality. Now he's fully equipped to teach remotely.

Short-term benefit: He can contact all of his students and give them the option to do lessons through Skype while society is shut down.

Long-term benefit: He can now teach people located anywhere. This can be a whole new revenue stream for him.

One step back, two steps forward!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Quick story from today involving my brother

Awesome! All I hear from people (friends, family, radio, etc) is "I need more shows to watch", "Netflix blah blah blah". Man, how many people have said they would do XYZ if they only had more free time?? This is such a golden opportunity to learn new skills, try new things, complete old projects, etc, but the vast majority will just waste it away on the couch watching bullshit tv. Good on you and your brother for using the time wisely!

Dobber Sports Star

That is awesome. Sadly, the economy being what it is is good for my career. I work with EI. My job is as secure as ever right now...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Great story Eric. As one of my friends said, people are either going to come out of this alcoholics, or chefs. Not much in between. Same kind of gist as what is said above - use the new-found time to do something useful.
    I'm still finding myself kept busy anyway, but I'm catching up on a few books and also starting to try to learn a little more Bulgarian (my wife's mother tongue).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nice. Adaptability is a good thing!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thats good to hear. Problem solving!

This bonus time people have should not go to waste. Something as simple as doing 30 minutes of calisthenics exercise in your living room can build a good habit for the future and keep a person in decent shape while we wait this out. Then watch some tv feeling better about yourself.

Dobber Sports Titan

My sisters a naturopath and she had to switch to Skype appointments with her current clients. But she's now "seeing" clients family members around the world for little advice she can give through not seeing someone. It's mostly how to live a healthy-ish life in a quarantined world and what vitamins/food people should try and focus on with their already diagnosed health problems.

But ya, hit a road block, process, adjust, go.

The pictures of DT Toronto during rush hour makes me think how many companies will turn to a tela-commute business for their employees. Like if you can go into the office 1/5 days a week, you can have 5 businesses in 1 office each operating 1 day a week. People will then move further away from Toronto because they'll be more willing to drive farther 1 day a week. Curious how this goes about.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's great to hear.

Our businesses are mobilizing to support new online training, sales and other operational procedures. They are finding ways to reach employees and clients that they've never resorted to before. Many of these process improvements and technological upgrades will persist long after this pandemic settles. At least that's one good thing to come out of this.

Another development I see is a push toward domestic manufacturing and skill development in mission critical areas like healthcare as countries prepare to become more self reliant before the next big global shock. In other words globalization takes a step back.

Administrator

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Success stories are the way to go. Maybe these new ideas end up greatly altering how we do business moving forward or maybe they're simply another tool to help us be more versatile. Either way we win on that front.

On the globalization topic, I think there's good compromises to be had there. We can still be globalized and not have entire industries produced from a single source. Some diversification can help us adapt better when the shit hits the fan in the future. This could end up being a step forward for globalization, with factors beyond just dollars being taken into account.

Dobber Sports Ninja

We're seeing some countries with strong manufacturing for things like masks and ventilators shutting off exports and hoarding for themselves now. Don't think the rest of the world will forget that. But we're also other countries sending aid to places like Italy and China. Putin of all people sent aid to Italy over the weekend (with ulterior motives I'm sure). Jack Ma just sent a massive shipment of masks and supplies to Africa. Large global companies like Amazon and Walmart have a crucial role to play here and it will be interesting to see how they play their cards and what motives they pursue.

Most frustrating is the blame game between Trump and China right now - totally disruptive and unproductive when the world needs the two biggest superpowers to be on the same page. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold... this thing could ultimately unite us or tear us further apart.

Administrator

It'll do both. Politically it'll bring some governments closer and others further apart. As people I think most of us will come out thinking of each other in higher regard (ie we all survived that horrible thing). But there are also lots of people not as well equipped to handle this (financially, or having lost loved ones) who will be bitter towards their governments and/or other people who fared better. The world will definitely be different on the other side. It's up to us as individuals to decide if we're going to thrive or not.