Thread: 7th Overall??

The Great One

Default 7th Overall??

20 Team Dynasty/Cap League- who do we think is there at 7? All the standard cats with hits and blocks too. Im not taking a Dman and I may take Vasilevkiy but outside of that i think Im taking a big money- stat stuffing forward. I know taking a C hurts but Im having a hard time passing on the goal scoring and sogs of an Eichel or a Matthews and as a leafs homer I think Id be ok with a Matthews.

McD and Mackinnon have to go 1st and 2nd. Im guessing Drai and Pasta go top 5 based on recency and Kucherov has a place there too.

Matthews or Eichel a solid play?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 7th Overall??

I dont think I'd take Vasilevskiy and that monster contract at 7. To me, he's still the best goalie in the league, but in a cap league, Im not sure I'd be buying that high.

When you say "all the standard cats", does that include FOW?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

You're starting fresh in a multi-cat cap league and you want Matthews? He's one of the most overpaid guys you could get in the first few rounds.

MacKinnon, Barkov, Marchand, Draisaitl, Hart, Pettersson, Makar, Svechnikov, Dahlin, Pastrnak, Huberdeau, Zibs, Crosby, the Tkachuks, Kuch, Point, Lindholm, Landeskog, and Hughes would be my top 20 (not necessarily in that order). Matthews would be around pick 50 at best. Eichel I would consider at 20, but probably not earlier.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You're starting fresh in a multi-cat cap league and you want Matthews? He's one of the most overpaid guys you could get in the first few rounds.

MacKinnon, Barkov, Marchand, Draisaitl, Hart, Pettersson, Makar, Svechnikov, Dahlin, Pastrnak, Huberdeau, Zibs, Crosby, the Tkachuks, Kuch, Point, Lindholm, Landeskog, and Hughes would be my top 20 (not necessarily in that order). Matthews would be around pick 50 at best. Eichel I would consider at 20, but probably not earlier.
    Plus McDavid and a bunch of others that I probably forgot.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Ok I just thought those sogs and goals will be "build aroundable" for a long time. Is Eichel worth it?

- - - Updated - - -

Ive ruled out Panarin as he doesnt shoot nearly enogh for that contract...

The Great One

Also- thats why Im asking EB- lol!

I inherited a cap dynasty and have done very well with it- but that was a lot of luck and learning on the fly. I always thought in a draft you pay for your top guys and build around that. This will be a bit different too because I play in a 14 team league with a 30 million dollar cap cushion wheras this will be 20 teams with a 20 million dlooar cushion- so talent will be harder to nail down...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think I'd take Vasilevskiy and that monster contract at 7. To me, he's still the best goalie in the league, but in a cap league, Im not sure I'd be buying that high.

When you say "all the standard cats", does that include FOW?
    Im not sure. If tyhere is Im guessing Wingers with FOW take a tremendous setp forward?

The Great One

Yes- not quite so standard:

G A P STP sogs Hits Blocks FOW pim(negative)
    Saces Sv% Wins GAA (No SO)

Didnt realize special teams was combined, pim was a neagtive- and also a little shocked by the proportion of scoring cats to utility ones. Also saves and sv% was an eye opener (although in a good way)

Dobber Sports Titan

Looks like a solid category setup. The Tkachuks get knocked down a touch on my list.

Th biggest thing you want at any point in a draft is value. Usually that just means the best player, and maybe it gets modified by positional scarcity but cap leagues take that kind of value hunting to another level.

The other thing is that guys will draft closer to a normal draft than they should. Lick your chops when guys like Matthews and Panarin go early, as that means less cap for your opponents, and that the bargain players are slipping.

With FOWs it means Cs don't get devalued, and it means guys like Lindholm or RNH go up in value. It's an easy category to stack.

Eichel would be my second or third round pick, but not my first. If someone else reaches it means you take Point instead in round 2/3.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The way I see this is that yes, FOW from the wing are extra valuable, but a couple key things are to avoid albatross contracts.

Matthews is so expensive that he's a problem in normal cap formats. He's on my cap roster, as I inherited him, and we have a non-standard format, where minors players don't count, and I can have 5-6 spots that are for players $3M or less that I can shuttle in & out. I also plan to try and keep trimming bad contracts every offseason.

Look for players with decent contracts, that are locked in for a while. Be willing to grab a couple older guys who get pushed down the draft, but you feel are good value. You will likely end up riding them out of the NHL.

20 teams with a 20 million cap cushion means you'll need to find value, and there are a lot of albatross contracts you don't want - the Esa Lindell players. I think you'll be able to find your run-of-the-mill defensmen easier than you'd think, as there are decent cheapish ones, and a fair number on ELC or that level contract.

You will want to find a cheap tandem in net, and try and supplement that with a couple other cheap guys.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Looks like a solid category setup. The Tkachuks get knocked down a touch on my list.

Th biggest thing you want at any point in a draft is value. Usually that just means the best player, and maybe it gets modified by positional scarcity but cap leagues take that kind of value hunting to another level.

The other thing is that guys will draft closer to a normal draft than they should. Lick your chops when guys like Matthews and Panarin go early, as that means less cap for your opponents, and that the bargain players are slipping.

With FOWs it means Cs don't get devalued, and it means guys like Lindholm or RNH go up in value. It's an easy category to stack.

Eichel would be my second or third round pick, but not my first. If someone else reaches it means you take Point instead in round 2/3.
    iN A 20 ROUND? 20 round means my 2nd rounder would be 33ish (snake draft).

The Great One

Meegwitch!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post

Meegwitch!!
    Yup. I realize it's 20 rounds
    Eichel will probably be gone by then, but you can get very similar production on 6M contracts, and that extra 4M makes a ton of difference later.