Poll: What is the Biggest Non-Hockey Moment in Canadian Sports History??

Thread: Happy Conversations – Biggest Canadian Sports Moment – Non-Hockey

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Happy Conversations – Biggest Canadian Sports Moment – Non-Hockey

The world is doom and gloom. There is no hockey. Lots of people are stuck on the internet with nothing happy to talk about.
    So let’s have an upbeat conversation.

Question: What is the Biggest Non-Hockey Moment in Canadian Sports History??

Some options:

1. 1992 (or 93) Toronto Blue Jays – Back-to-back World Series Champions
    1992 was the first ever Canadian Win. 1993 gave us "touch'em all Joe"

2. Donovan Bailey – 1996 Atlanta Olympics – 100m Gold Medal & WR, 4x100m WR
    Become’s the world’s fastest man. Redeems a country’s track program that was scandalized by Ben Johnson in 1988.

3. Mike Weir – 2003 Masters – First Left Handed Player to win the Masters
    Big win for the little engine that could that is Mike Weir

4. 2010 Vancouver Olympics - 14 gold medals, more than any other nation
    Canada created "Own the Podium" and we did
    *Yes this was capped with Men's and Women's Hockey Games - both of which could be the greatest in their respective divisions ever. But other amazing moments as well

5. 2019 Toronto Raptors – Win the NBA Championship in 6 Games over the Golden State Warriors
    Seemed like the whole nation came together for this run and victory.

6. Brooke Henderson wins LPGA Championship
    This women has a whole career left to play. Also the CP Canadian Women’s Championship was a big win.

7. Other - The More Obscure the Better - Tell me about other Canadian successes

Non-Canadians feels free to play along too...
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Happy Conversations – Biggest Canadian Sports Moment – Non-Hockey

The Bailey-Johnson 150M event was pretty hilarious at the time as well. A lot of hype to it.

Administrator

Put me down for 2019 Raptors. That was a lot of fun.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Blue Jays for me. That was just an incredible back to back run.

Dobber Sports Titan

I wasn't alive for the Blue Jays' WS wins, so for me it's between the Vancouver Olympics and the Raptors' championship run. As much as I want to say the Olympics because it's a variety of sports with so many people involved, and a whole country backing those athletes, the Raptors' run had a whole other feeling that those Olympics could barely touch (save for maybe the hockey games at the end). Maybe it's the recency bias, but I voted Raptors.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

You forgot to include the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup after signing Tavares

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was there for both the Jays back-to-back and Raptors championships. Raps was more historic for the city for sure.

This list is a pretty sad reflection of Canadian sports history.. there are two championships and the rest are really non-events haha.

Dobber Sports Star

I am a little older than most here. For me personally, I would say those on this list are great, but I will take Terry Fox running across Canada. That is as good as it gets.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Guru

I voted for the Blue Jays. That was huge, and I can only imagine how much bigger it would have been if there were Sportsnet, Twitter, Facebook, etc. at the time.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I am a little older than most here. For me personally, I would say those on this list are great, but I will take Terry Fox running across Canada. That is as good as it gets.

Rylant
    GOOD CALL

that is probably it if we are talking any athletic moment

as far as organized sports Ill go with Donovan Bailey. that really was a special moment for Canada with the whole world watching.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Master

I remember back in 1972 the teacher dusting off the ol black and white t.v that hung from a bracket on the ceiling so we could watch one of the summit series games . I'd imagine it was the famous Henderson goal one but I was too young to appreciate the moment.

Dobber Sports Deity

I voted for the Jays '92 WS victory. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at my buddy Mark's house watching that clinching game. A few beers, some pizza and lots of laughs. Mark's younger brother, Richard, got drunked up and fell down the stairs coming to the basement where we were in excitement. He literally rolled down those steps in joy, yelling and screaming, hooting and hollering. What a great night.

Since that time, both my friend Mark and his younger brother Richard have passed. Both in strange accidents. Both were like brothers to me. Richard died in a fishing accident off the coast of NS and Mark died after an accidental fall.

The Blue Jays, as bad as they have been the past few years, always take me back to some great times in my life many years ago.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

For me, the Blue Jays winning the World Series was incredible.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket