Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Commissioner Payout Dilemma - Help!

The Great One

Default Re: Commissioner Payout Dilemma - Help!

No idea if this is possible but...suppose the season ends up being cancelled.

Could you just run your playoffs using the first 4 weeks of the season next year using the teams you have that made the playoffs? (So the first four weeks used for next year's standings as well as this year's playoffs).

Haven't thought about this too hard, so if it's a stupid idea, well...ok. I'm not afraid to eat humble pie.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post

Could you just run your playoffs using the first 4 weeks of the season next year using the teams you have that made the playoffs? (So the first four weeks used for next year's standings as well as this year's playoffs).

Haven't thought about this too hard, so if it's a stupid idea, well...ok. I'm not afraid to eat humble pie.
    could probably work for some leagues like dynasty format , maybe not so much for a limited keeper if theres a lot of roster turnover.

its better than the alternative of no playoffs at all though .

hows this for an idea for h2h poins leagues . theres aprox 20-22 weeks of head to head weeks . use a draft order randomizer tool to spit out a draft order . the first 4 numbers it randomly chooses between 1 and 22 are the weeks you use to represent teams in your playoffs . Lets say it randomly chooses 8,16,11,21 . So in round 1 , teams are represented by their week 8 fp total etc...

just tossin ideas around hah .

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    could probably work for some leagues like dynasty format , maybe not so much for a limited keeper if theres a lot of roster turnover.

its better than the alternative of no playoffs at all though .

hows this for an idea for h2h poins leagues . theres aprox 20-22 weeks of head to head weeks . use a draft order randomizer tool to spit out a draft order . the first 4 numbers it randomly chooses between 1 and 22 are the weeks you use to represent teams in your playoffs . Lets say it randomly chooses 8,16,11,21 . So in round 1 , teams are represented by their week 8 fp total etc...

just tossin ideas around hah .
    For a limited keeper, wouldn't it be very easy to set up a four week league using rosters as of when the season shut down? That seems quite easy to me? You could also set up a separate league, different players, for next year.

The thing I don't like about your idea is that fantasy GMs act very differently in the regular season versus playoffs. If McDavid is out for one week in the regular season, my managers just ride it out. If he's missing for one week in the finals, in a one year league, he gets dropped 100% of the time.

Dobber Sports Master

good point ^^

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I heard of a league that is proposing to payout as follows:

6 team playoff, with top 2 getting byes. Payout reflects the bracket odds if each matchup was even. Top two get 25%, each other team gets 12.5%, since the teams with byes will make the semis, which gets it down to 4 teams. It's a reasonable option.

Evidence that we need to think of more things in league rules. I wasn't in fantasy baseball during a lockout year, just sim leagues.
    Had playoffs not started, then this makes sense. My league's playoffs had started and the 1/4 finals are over half over. 2 teams have a clear advantage (9-1 and 6-2) so their odds are better than 12.5%.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post

This is as good as any other simuluation idea I have heard. If I understand you correctly...

1. Next season start a new 1 year league
    2. Populate the rosters exactly as they were on the date the season was halted.
    3. Populate the teams out of the playoffs as well to ensure those players are unavailable.
    4. Week 1 of the regular season becomes week 1 of the playoffs.
    5. Use League Manager tools to set the matchups each week as teams "advance" in the "playoffs"

Now obviously there will be all kinds of shortcomings vs. had the season been allowed to finish. Players could switch teams, schedule totally different, goalies lose starter jobs, some players retire?? etc. etc. etc.

That being said I do prefer this to any type of mathematical formula or NHL 2020 simulation because at least you get to watch real NHL hockey and let the NHL games decide the champion.

On to the actual question: I think the best thing to do is split the prize money between the 6 teams still in the playoffs. You could make a solid argument that those teams with bye should get a 2/8 (1/4) share and the other 4 should get 1/8 that would payout as:

1st- $300
    2nd -$300
    3-6th - $150 x 4

and perhaps that is more fair. Whatever you do someone will feel like they got the short end of the stick. I like either playoffs in the fall or 300/300/150x4 as preferred options.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    This is as good as any other simuluation idea I have heard. If I understand you correctly...

1. Next season start a new 1 year league
    2. Populate the rosters exactly as they were on the date the season was halted.
    3. Populate the teams out of the playoffs as well to ensure those players are unavailable.
    4. Week 1 of the regular season becomes week 1 of the playoffs.
    5. Use League Manager tools to set the matchups each week as teams "advance" in the "playoffs"

Now obviously there will be all kinds of shortcomings vs. had the season been allowed to finish. Players could switch teams, schedule totally different, goalies lose starter jobs, some players retire?? etc. etc. etc.

That being said I do prefer this to any type of mathematical formula or NHL 2020 simulation because at least you get to watch real NHL hockey and let the NHL games decide the champion.

On to the actual question: I think the best thing to do is split the prize money between the 6 teams still in the playoffs. You could make a solid argument that those teams with bye should get a 2/8 (1/4) share and the other 4 should get 1/8 that would payout as:

1st- $300
    2nd -$300
    3-6th - $150 x 4

and perhaps that is more fair. Whatever you do someone will feel like they got the short end of the stick. I like either playoffs in the fall or 300/300/150x4 as preferred options.
    This is actually exactly what I've decided to do should the season be cancelled. Considering 3rd and 4th were losing their weeks by a fair margin and 5th is family, 6th is really the only one that might kick up a bit of a fuss...
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Our league has a payout to the team that finished first overall

So they get paid and then we've discussed dividing the rest of the winnings evenly among the playoff teams.

So first place gets $100 plus the evenly distributed payout
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Superstar

Rebooting this thread to say my first course of action would be to not pay out anything and hope the NHL season is eventually finished.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-players-spitb...ason-1.1458274

There is no reason to make any decision until the NHL officially cancels the season in my opinion.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    There is no reason to make any decision until the NHL officially cancels the season in my opinion.
    I agree with this 100%.

The season might not be over and we don't know what our options will be as commissioners. No need for instant gratification here. Make the decisions at the appropriate time.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I agree with this 100%.

The season might not be over and we don't know what our options will be as commissioners. No need for instant gratification here. Make the decisions at the appropriate time.
    That's my intention. Ideally, I'm hoping the NHL returns and we can somehow finish out our playoffs. For now, I'm just looking for advice on various options should the season be cancelled.
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO