Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commissioner Payout Dilemma - Help!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Commissioner Payout Dilemma - Help!

Hey guys,

So I'm in a dilemma and could use your unbiased opinions. I'm the commissioner of a H2H league and finished the regular season in 1st. Our regular season ended and we officially had our 6 playoff teams set. The original payouts were set to be 1st - 50%/$600, 2nd - 30%/$400, 3rd - 20%/$200

Here were the regular season finals results:

Team 1: 16-5, 4028 fpts <- ME
    Team 2: 14-7, 3847 fpts
    Team 3: 14-7, 3534 fpts
    Team 4: 13-8, 3758 fpts
    Team 5: 12-9, 3807 fpts
    Team 6: 10-11, 3733 fpts

We started playoffs this week and only managed 3 days. The results of these 3 days were the following:

Team 1 & 2 = Bye Week
    Team 3 (53.75 fpts) vs. Team 6 (80.75 fpts)
    Team 4 (64.75 fpts) vs. Team 5 (82 fpts)

There is no way I'm refunding money to the entire league considering we established out top 6 for playoffs. What do you think of the following approach in which 4th to 6th receive their money back with the remaining funds being paid out based on regular season ranks? I have no doubt someone will call bullshit since I'm the commissioner and also in 1st... but I just can't see how the regular season ranks shouldn't count for something at this point...

1st - 50%/$450
    2nd - 30%/$270
    3rd - 20%/$180
    4th - $100
    5th - $100
    6th - $100

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance!
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re: Commissioner Payout Dilemma - Help!

I agree on not refunding the money, but I'm not a fan of paying out like you are proposing. In my opinion regular season records are only good to get you playoff positioning. Once you are in the playoffs everyone is even again. We have all seen top seeds get knocked out in the first and second round before. I recommend an even split between every team that is in the playoffs. That is what we will be doing in my league if the NHL doesn't come back with enough games in the schedule to let us finish our playoffs. Here is a good write-up about what to do in various scenarios.

https://dobberhockey.com/2020/03/13/...ints-march-13/
    12 Team, Weekly H2H, Daily Lineup, Dynasty

25 man roster
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6 D, 2 G, 8 Bench

G 2, A 1, PPP/SHP 0.5, GWG 0.5, Shot 0.2, Hit 0.2, Blk 0.2, PIM 0.2
    W 2, SO 2, SV 0.2, GA -1

C McDavid, JGP, Rakell
    LW Forsberg, Pacioretty, Fiala
    RW Palmieri, Mantha, Svechnikov
    D Dunn, Pulock, Chabot, Nurse, Provorov, Hronek
    G Markstrom, Shesterkin

Labanc, Gustafsson, Bjorkstrand, R Thomas, Keller, S Johns
    Saros, Rittich

Minors
    A Turcotte, Tolvanen, Farabee, J Robertson, R Lavoie, Batherson, Wahlstrom, Bemstrom
    Clague, Valimaki
    Demko, Prosvetov, J Johansson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd simply wait on payout to see what the NHL does. Some people may not like it, but the prudent course of action is to wait.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

If you're going to payout before the nhl decides what it's doing you need to be fair for everyone that still has a chance at the prizes, regardless of how you personally feel about the standings or chances of each team. In this case that would be an equal split of all 6 teams that remain in the playoffs.

If you want a healthy and long lasting league you need to do the right thing and act selflessly as the commissioner. This is a long term move that will garner trust or distrust within the league. Whatever you decide to do, people won't forget.

Our league did the same thing. I was in the same position (1st place) and will receive 1/8th of the playoff prize money. I'm fine with it and recognize this is an exceptional circumstance and above all else prize money distribution needs to be fair.

Refunding teams is out of the question for the same reason, it's not fair to all the teams that finished in the playoffs. We had teams out of the playoffs that wanted the playoff prize money pushed to next season. That was absolutely not happening for the same reason.

TLDR: Making the mistake of paying yourself more here, or even suggesting it, is short sighted and quite frankly just the wrong thing to do.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks guys. While I'm surprised no one places more emphasis on the regular season rankings... I do understand your perspectives as well. These were the unbiased opinions I was looking for. The intention is obviously to wait and see if the NHL starts back up with the hopes of finishing out our playoffs somehow. If things don't resume, I'll likely be taking all of your advice and now distributing it evenly among those in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Stud

In regards to the regular season, I do believe there is value in being the top team(s) in the standings. The league I’m commissioner in has a payout for the regular season champ, the playoff champ and playoff runner up. However, those payouts were written into our rulebook years ago. I agree with the posts above that retroactively adding a payout based on regular season positioning is going to cause more harm than good.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Master

what if the regular season payouts stay as is and the pot for winning playoffs is split between the teams that qualified

Dobber Sports Sage

As long as your regular season finished in its entirety that's exactly what should happen imo.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    As long as your regular season finished in its entirety that's exactly what should happen imo.
    Whose suggestion are you referring to MZac?

*edit - Sorry didn't notice the previous advice was from you!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    If you're going to payout before the nhl decides what it's doing you need to be fair for everyone that still has a chance at the prizes, regardless of how you personally feel about the standings or chances of each team. In this case that would be an equal split of all 6 teams that remain in the playoffs.

If you want a healthy and long lasting league you need to do the right thing and act selflessly as the commissioner. This is a long term move that will garner trust or distrust within the league. Whatever you decide to do, people won't forget.

Our league did the same thing. I was in the same position (1st place) and will receive 1/8th of the playoff prize money. I'm fine with it and recognize this is an exceptional circumstance and above all else prize money distribution needs to be fair.

Refunding teams is out of the question for the same reason, it's not fair to all the teams that finished in the playoffs. We had teams out of the playoffs that wanted the playoff prize money pushed to next season. That was absolutely not happening for the same reason.

TLDR: Making the mistake of paying yourself more here, or even suggesting it, is short sighted and quite frankly just the wrong thing to do.

This is a well thought out response and I think is you best course of action. Any of the remaining teams could have won the prizes, so it’s only fair to split it equally.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm curious Maritimer...and couldn't tell from your Original Post...do you payout some $$$ to the top few teams for the Regular Season?
    Seems unfair to me that the top team in the Regular Season which worked diligently to attain it's position COULD get shut out of ANY $$$ for their year long efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Maritimer View Post
    Thanks guys. While I'm surprised no one places more emphasis on the regular season rankings... I do understand your perspectives as well. These were the unbiased opinions I was looking for. The intention is obviously to wait and see if the NHL starts back up with the hopes of finishing out our playoffs somehow. If things don't resume, I'll likely be taking all of your advice and now distributing it evenly among those in the playoffs.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I heard of a league that is proposing to payout as follows:

6 team playoff, with top 2 getting byes. Payout reflects the bracket odds if each matchup was even. Top two get 25%, each other team gets 12.5%, since the teams with byes will make the semis, which gets it down to 4 teams. It's a reasonable option.

Evidence that we need to think of more things in league rules. I wasn't in fantasy baseball during a lockout year, just sim leagues.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Maritimer View Post
    Whose suggestion are you referring to MZac?

*edit - Sorry didn't notice the previous advice was from you!
    No worries, that comment was in response to Butch.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Wizard

I divide price money in half in my leagues....regular season winners, division winners etc get 50% divided and so do winners in playoff

so my regular season payments are set and playoff payment would be divided equally between remaining teams should NHL cancel season or hold no more regular season games
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    I divide price money in half in my leagues....regular season winners, division winners etc get 50% divided and so do winners in playoff

so my regular season payments are set and playoff payment would be divided equally between remaining teams should NHL cancel season or hold no more regular season games
    Wishing I did something like this now... :/

Next season I suppose...