Page 61 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 51 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 71 111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: The Coronavirus Pandemic

all i can think of right now is Trump saying ChEYEna
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Monday Trudeau said this at his morning press conference:

"We have recognized over the past weeks a number of situations in which shipments coming from different countries around the world have been delayed, (or) haven't arrived with as many products as we were hoping to see," Trudeau said. "This continues to be an ongoing problem — specifically with the United States. We are working with them to ensure the orders Canada has placed get delivered. We expect those shipments to come."

Here he calls the US out.

Today we wake up to this article from The Canadian Press
    3M makes deal with White House, says Canada will continue to receive N95 masks
    We can spin it - even admit (without actually ever knowing mind you) that 3M strong-armed Trump into this agreement and the Canadian Gov't sat on the sidelines as spectators and watched as this all went down.
    Who did what does not matter.

In Summary:

Trudeau said it wasn't acceptable.
    Refused to be petty and enforce sanctions and play Trump's games.
    'Someone' spoke Trump-Speak to Trump

and Canada walks with exactly what they needed. - which is all that matters.

Diplomacy wins.
    And the US got the ventilators that they needed so same story there?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Anyone wonder if Trump works like a magician? Getting everyone to focus on his rants and comments and twitter.... while the real tricks are happening somewhere else?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Anyone wonder if Trump works like a magician? Getting everyone to focus on his rants and comments and twitter.... while the real tricks are happening somewhere else?
    It's possible, but the more likely reality is that he's just a bumbling narcissist.

Dobber Sports Jedi

And the US got the ventilators that they needed so same story there?
    The US was always going to get their ventilators. It was just a matter of whether it came at the detriment of their allies.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Mike drop:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...quW4Rpe-1glpdO

From the article:
    Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

In addition, Sanofi’s largest shareholders include a mutual fund company run by major Republican donor Ken Fisher, the paper said. Trump’s three family trusts, as of last year, each had investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding was Sanofi, according to the Times. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also had ties to the drugmaker, the Times reported.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    It's possible, but the more likely reality is that he's just a bumbling narcissist.
    That's putting it mildly.

The US was always going to get their ventilators. It was just a matter of whether it came at the detriment of their allies.
    And if Trudeau was a better leader the same could have been said about Canada. But other countries saw how protesters could shut down the railway system in Canada... so they are going to play hardball with our so-called leader.

​​

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    He's a bumbling narcissist puppet for Pence's magical tricks behind the curtain.

Dobber Sports Ace

Mike drop:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...quW4Rpe-1glpdO

From the article:
    Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

In addition, Sanofi’s largest shareholders include a mutual fund company run by major Republican donor Ken Fisher, the paper said. Trump’s three family trusts, as of last year, each had investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding was Sanofi, according to the Times. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also had ties to the drugmaker, the Times reported.
    Holy crap, that is a HUGE conflict of interest. It is infuriating that Trump continues to use his office to promote his own self-interest at every turn with seemingly zero consequences.

Dobber Sports Ace

And if Trudeau was a better leader the same could have been said about Canada. But other countries saw how protesters could shut down the railway system in Canada... so they are going to play hardball with our so-called leader.
    Actually, it has nothing to do with being a leader, and everything to do with the location of 3M factories and the legal rights afforded by the Defence Production Act. Attempting to screw over allies without good reason (as the resolution of the issue has demonstrated) is not leadership.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Holy crap, that is a HUGE conflict of interest. It is infuriating that Trump continues to use his office to promote his own self-interest at every turn with seemingly zero consequences.
    What does it matter. He was already impeached and half the country loves him.

He said, "Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s like incredible,"

And it's absolutely true. His base is a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    That's putting it mildly.
    Ever seen the movie.... 'Now You See Me'?

Bet you didn't see that ending coming either!

​​

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    What does it matter. He was already impeached and half the country loves him.

He said, "Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay? It’s like incredible,"

And it's absolutely true. His base is a cult.
    Yeah, you'd think there would be more safeguards in place to prevent abuse of power at an institutional level though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

and what was a better solution to humans standing on train tracks? run them over? mass arrests?

Anything involving First Nations is a very sensitive area in Canada. Government dealings with First Nations are under a microscope... and rightfully so.
    An immediate physical removal of these protests would have led to a much larger issue for the government.

I think you over simplify the fragility of some of these situations and the steps that are required to minimize damage to relations with First Nations people in this country.

You can't snap fingers and resolve everything without there being serious repercussions -- that would no undoubtedly be worse than taking a couple of weeks and properly negotiating a settlement.

I'm not pumping Trudeau's tires purposely... but I'm looking at the larger picture. What happens if the RCMP arrived on day one of protests and put everyone in handcuffs? Or on day 3? Sure he ends the protest. But now he has a much larger issue on his hands - marginalizing First Nations... again. Human Rights complaints... and on it goes.
    If you notice. every time Trump has played hardball with Canada - Canada walked out with what it needed and wanted.