Page 27 of 132 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Coronavirus Debacle

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    It doesn't fly in face of my 2nd comment. If my neighbour is hungry... I don't give him 16 tonnes of food creating an extreme shortage for my kids. Maybe split it up a little bit...

Maybe I do some simple math and consider how much we might need here and still support him by giving him 8 tonnes. Then in a month's time I re-evaluate the situation and see.. and maybe there is 4 more tonnes I can give him... or maybe there is a need in our own health care and I can only afford to give him 2 tonnes...

Giving such a large amount in one dose rather than splitting it up and doing some other evaluations might have been a more strategic approach. Especially with all the comments about how WHO warned countries to prepare...

Yes. I agree... but that doesn't mean we should be sending our health care workers to work without proper equipment
    Just to clarify, do you have any idea how much 16 tonnes of PPE is? Do you have any idea what percentage of total Canadian PPE 16 tonnes is?

This would seem to be a better representation of what was sent rather than some arbitrary weight that nobody can properly quantify

The goods Canada sent to China included 50,118 face shields, 1,101 masks, 1,820 pairs of goggles, 36,425 medical coveralls, 200,000 nitrile gloves and 3,000 aprons. The supplies were sourced by the Canadian Red Cross as well from as the government of Canada’s supplies.
    But even then, there's no way to estimate what % of total PPE was sent.

Maybe I do some simple math and consider how much we might need here and still support him by giving him 8 tonnes. Then in a month's time I re-evaluate the situation and see.. and maybe there is 4 more tonnes I can give him... or maybe there is a need in our own health care and I can only afford to give him 2 tonnes...
    Maybe they did do this, and 16 tonnes was that # and it still ended up being too much. Or maybe it was an overreach from the start.

At this point, unless you have any idea on what percentage was sent, you're really just criticizing with no basis.

And I don't even necessarily agree with the decision to send anything. But to criticize the amount without knowing the % of total and than later admit sending some % of total would be fine but the amount sent was too much really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Maybe 16 tonnes/list of items was 1% of total. Maybe it was 5%. Maybe it was 40%. I don't see how you could admit sending some is fine but say this amount was too much while also not knowing if it was 1, 5, or 40 percent, unless your basis is that 1% would still be too much.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    What kind of response were you expecting. It sounds like the US and Canada are in active negotiations surrounding the border issues right now. I doubt there was much else he could say currently.
    I would expect our Prime Minister to reaffirm that our health and safety is at the top of his priority list and he'll take appropriate measures to protect our citizens.

Instead, what he basically said is that his relationship (meaning fear of) with Trump is more important than our safety.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I would expect our Prime Minister to reaffirm that our health and safety is at the top of his priority list and he'll take appropriate measures to protect our citizens.

Instead, what he basically said is that his relationship (meaning fear of) with Trump is more important than our safety.
    Well.. historically, the collective safety of our country has been enhanced by our close relationship with the USA. It's not as if we have a military that can fully protect this country on its own
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Just to clarify, do you have any idea how much 16 tonnes of PPE is? Do you have any idea what percentage of total Canadian PPE 16 tonnes is?

This would seem to be a better representation of what was sent rather than some arbitrary weight that nobody can properly quantify

But even then, there's no way to estimate what % of total PPE was sent.

Maybe they did do this, and 16 tonnes was that # and it still ended up being too much. Or maybe it was an overreach from the start.

At this point, unless you have any idea on what percentage was sent, you're really just criticizing with no basis.

And I don't even necessarily agree with the decision to send anything. But to criticize the amount without knowing the % of total and than later admit sending some % of total would be fine but the amount sent was too much really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Maybe 16 tonnes/list of items was 1% of total. Maybe it was 5%. Maybe it was 40%. I don't see how you could admit sending some is fine but say this amount was too much while also not knowing if it was 1, 5, or 40 percent, unless your basis is that 1% would still be too much.
    No, I do not know what percentage it was. But what I can tell you is that it was too much.

How can I tell you that... because my wife works in health care and they running extremely low and are told to ration when to use them and when not to. So it doesn’t matter what percent it was.... it was too much when.

But what do I expect Trudeau to to actually care about people in Central Canada in comparison to another country.... nope!

and no. It’s not just one hospital, it’s the whole region. And it’s the same with the region across the border in the next province!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

No, I do not know what percentage it was. But what I can tell you is that it was too much.

How can I tell you that... because my wife works in health care and they running extremely low and are told to ration when to use them and when not to. So it doesn’t matter what percent it was.... it was too much when.

But what do I expect Trudeau to to actually care about people in Central Canada in comparison to another country.... nope!

and no. It’s not just one hospital, it’s the whole region. And it’s the same with the region across the border in the next province!
    Ok. So say they shouldn't have sent any. Don't contradict yourself.

Also FWIW, there would be shortages in every region, not just Central Canada. One specific region of Canada isn't a targeted victim here.

Dobber Sports Star

Hindsight is 20/20. Would you have known at the time that is was too much? No, you would not have. For all you and I know, the amount they sent wouldn't have even mattered and your wife would still be rationing. Rataylor is right: you don't know enough to be bitching about it and neither do I.

50,118 face shields, 1,101 masks, 1,820 pairs of goggles, 36,425 medical coveralls, 200,000 nitrile gloves and 3,000 aprons
    Also there are roughly 90,000 physicians and 430,000 nurses in Canada, and these supplies are used multiple times a day, so I would estimate this number is probably a fairly low percentage of overall supplies. Those numbers are as of 2018, so much likely even higher now.

It's fine to say none of it should have been sent, but Canada certainly didn't send a significant portion of supplies to China.

Administrator

It's a revisionist history kind of story. Nothing more. If the virus had been contained earlier and none of the western countries were shut down, the decision would have been praised.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Ok. So say they shouldn't have sent any. Don't contradict yourself.

Also FWIW, there would be shortages in every region, not just Central Canada. One specific region of Canada isn't a targeted victim here.
    I am not. You told me to use what I know. So I told you what I know. I can’t speak for other regions. But I can speak for this one.

And I can also speak that The government is more concerned about other countries then those in Central Canada.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. Would you have known at the time that is was too much? No, you would not have. For all you and I know, the amount they sent wouldn't have even mattered and your wife would still be rationing. Rataylor is right: you don't know enough to be bitching about it and neither do I.
    It’s funny how people use the argument that Trump should have known this was coming... but then a few days later say that hindsight is 20/20. You can’t always just assume that you know more because you believe your side of the argument.

and for all you know that amount could have made the difference. Two sides to your argument, doesn’t mean your side is the right side.

​​

Dobber Sports Star

And I can also speak that The government is more concerned about other countries then those in Central Canada.
    You could say they're more interested in themselves, or getting re-elected or a lot of other things, but I don't see how you could make this claim. Trying to help other countries doesn't mean you don't care about your own.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    You could say they're more interested in themselves, or getting re-elected or a lot of other things, but I don't see how you could make this claim. Trying to help other countries doesn't mean you don't care about your own.
    what is your take on Alberta Oil vs Saudi’s Oil?

​​

Dobber Sports Padawan

It’s funny how people use the argument that Trump should have known this was coming... but then a few days later say that hindsight is 20/20. You can’t always just assume that you know more because you believe your side of the argument.

and for all you know that amount could have made the difference. Two sides to your argument, doesn’t mean your side is the right side.
    Exactly. Their position changes completely depending on who they are talking about. It's so weird.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

He's said much of that in previous press conferences. I just don't see him being able to do much more than he can right now. Canada is not the big brother in the relationship and the US is run by a lunatic.

Administrator

I've said this before in hockey threads but public statements are highly overrated. Actions and results matter.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust