Page 20 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: The Coronavirus Debacle

You can spread hope without lying about the situation, and Trump just can't do that. He just can't deliver bad news relating to him as President.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    That's fair enough, but in doing so he is spreading the message to his followers that this isn't as serious as it seems, and a lot of people in the US aren't doing the things they should be doing.

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear" - Trump

"This is pragmatism, people" - Auston'sWilly
    Well done, you should apply to CNN or MSNBC with talent like that. They also take things out of context to make their targets look bad. Can't imagine why their ratings are so pathetic.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Yes, and they'll all be silent when they realize that President Trump will adjust his "reopen for business" plan accordingly, if testing (and his experts) suggest he must.
    All he's saying is that the "cure can't be worse than the disease." This is pragmatism, people.
    He's trying to give people hope, while the Dems/Libs, including some of them in here, are fear mongering. Simple as that. Mark my words, Easter will roll around and he will probably be forced to announce that his plan for reopening was too optimistic. In the meantime, he is trying to be hopeful. For the sake of the people.
    The problem is... when/if he adjusts - he will just flat deny he ever said April 12th at all - ever. That's the shit people hate. He wont' admit he was wrong. he just denies the previous statement existed.

I could take you much more seriously if sometimes you'd say the kool-aid was too sweet or not enough sugar sometimes.
    No one gets it right 100% of the time.
    it would be a breath of fresh air if you could just admit Trump has/does screw up or is wrong sometimes.

Just like Trudeau. While Canadians are revering him for his handling of COVID - His COVID bill was not the time to try to push through any Liberal agenda under the noses of the opposition. It's that type of thing that builds mistrust - mind you, I didn't vote for him either.

There's a difference between fear-mongering & being cautious. You can't give a date with COVID. Especially one three weeks from now. That is irresponsible leadership. He can give hope without specifics. Unit the country by fighting it together, as one people with one cause.

There are safer ways to spread, build hope in the people you lead.

90% of people read headlines and that's it. Making such blanket statements in times like this goes beyond hopes. It creates false security.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

Well done, you should apply to CNN or MSNBC with talent like that. They also take things out of context to make their targets look bad. Can't imagine why their ratings are so pathetic.
    Taking things out of context? What the hell are you even talking about?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The problem is... when/if he adjusts - he will just flat deny he ever said April 12th at all - ever. That's the shit people hate. He wont' admit he was wrong. he just denies the previous statement existed.

I could take you much more seriously if sometimes you'd say the kool-aid was too sweet or not enough sugar sometimes.
    No one gets it right 100% of the time.
    it would be a breath of fresh air if you could just admit Trump has/does screw up or is wrong sometimes.

Just like Trudeau. While Canadians are revering him for his handling of COVID - His COVID bill was not the time to try to push through any Liberal agenda under the noses of the opposition. It's that type of thing that builds mistrust - mind you, I didn't vote for him either.

There's a difference between fear-mongering & being cautious. You can't give a date with COVID. Especially one three weeks from now. That is irresponsible leadership. He can give hope without specifics. Unit the country by fighting it together, as one people with one cause.

There are safer ways to spread, build hope in the people you lead.

90% of people read headlines and that's it. Making such blanket statements in times like this goes beyond hopes. It creates false security.
    We could go on and on and on.
    You're probably right - President Trump won't admit he was wrong about the Easter timeline. You know the main reason? Sure, ego is part of it. I can admit that. Just like I can admit (which I already did at least twice before) that the President should have apologized for his initial downplaying of this virus. The main reason, however, is that it shows weakness if he openly admits a mistake and he knows how the opposition ALWAYS relentlessly frames his mistakes. They never frame it as - "he made a mistake, well, he's human after all." No, instead they frame every single mistake as incompetence. Why? Because of how they feel about him. They hate him. So it perpetuates a vicious circle of them attacking, and him stubbornly refusing to give into them.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Taking things out of context? What the hell are you even talking about?
    I never said it was pragmatic for the President to say the virus would disappear like a miracle.
    You intentionally implied that I did.

= Out of context.

What I actually said was that it is pragmatic for President Trump to say that the cure can't be worse than the disease.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I never said it was pragmatic for the President to say the virus would disappear like a miracle.
    You intentionally implied that I did.

= Out of context.

What I actually said was that it is pragmatic for President Trump to say that the cure can't be worse than the disease.
    well... I guess he's right... dead is dead - same not worse

https://time.com/5808688/chloroquine-phosphate-coronavirus-death/

Dobber Sports Deity

If Trump admitted to making a mistake, it doesn't show he's weak; it shows he's human.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If Trump admitted to making a mistake, it doesn't show he's weak; it shows he's human.
    It's all so clear to me now.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    It's all so clear to me now.
    You and everyone else.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    People who don't understand the seriousness of this will never see the seriousness unless a loved one catches the virus badly, sadly.

Businesses who don't shutdown will say, "look, we didn't need to shutdown" and the one's that in the next couple of weeks will think, "we eeked out a couple of extra-money making days and it only cost us x number of employees catching COVID-19".

It's terrible the idiocy that is happening around this.
    100% Agreed. One of the first officials I heard make this point was a school superintendent, Darrin Peppard, in I think Wyoming. In making the annoucement that he was closing schools for 3 WEEKS!

He said:

“In the end, it will be impossible to know if we overreacted or did too much, but it will be QUITE apparent if we under reacted or did too little.”
    In simpler terms: If we shut everything down and nothing happens... that was the point!!
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yes, and they'll all be silent when they realize that President Trump will adjust his "reopen for business" plan accordingly, if testing (and his experts) suggest he must.
    All he's saying is that the "cure can't be worse than the disease." This is pragmatism, people.
    He's trying to give people hope, while the Dems/Libs, including some of them in here, are fear mongering. Simple as that. Mark my words, Easter will roll around and he will probably be forced to announce that his plan for reopening was too optimistic. In the meantime, he is trying to be hopeful. For the sake of the people.
    So basically you're applauding Trump for coming up with a moronic plan in the first place which sends the wrong message... and then walking it back once he realizes his stupidity? Good to see we're setting high standards for our leaders...

You may wanna look up the definition of Pragmatism. Pragmatism = let's go on lockdown and prevent the spread. Short term pain for long-term gain. Trump, is the polar opposite or Pragmatism and the KING of Fear Mongering.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Honestly, the connections to cult-like behaviour from the followers are quite apt.

Undying belief that the leader is correct in all things, and that if they change their mind, or appear to be wrong, it's only because circumstances have changed, and not because the individual themselves was ever in error.

Typically you see this with something like the LDS church, but it seems to equally apply to a personality like Trump. It's both fascinating and stomach churning at the same time.

Dobber Sports Jedi

“To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Dobber Sports Padawan

Well, I tried.
    Like I said before, you can only bring horses to water.

Considering these last smug replies to me, all I can say is:
    I'll be smiling, my friends, ear to ear,
    When President Trump is re-elected later this year.