Page 16 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Trump Presidency is Over/The Coronavirus Debacle

Sorry to derail. Back on thread, Trumps press conference was an embarrassment today. I hate Trudeau, but at times like this you really see the stark difference between a competent leader and a child.

Also. Some truly amazing environmental things happening around the globe right now. I know after all this there’s going to be a huge industry ramp up, but hopefully this opened some eyes. We need to make changes. Responsible ones, that don’t cripple our economy in the process, but changes nonetheless. Some of the stuff out of Venice is incredible.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sorry to derail. Back on thread, Trumps press conference was an embarrassment today. I hate Trudeau, but at times like this you really see the stark difference between a competent leader and a child.
    Night and day. Trudeau really surprised me with his address to the nation. It was spot on. Stately. It was Trudeau's strongest moment yet as Prime Minister. Perhaps Trudeau rises to the occasion in times of crisis.

The same cannot be said of Trump. If anything Trump is becoming more and more unhinged.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

I honestly don’t know if Trudeau is doing “good” or “fine”. It’s hard to tell because our closest comparison is a child. But he’s instilled confidence that the people in charge are “doing their best” and listening to the proper people, which is all you can ask for.

Dobber Sports Padawan

President Trump started restricting incoming travel way before Trudeau did. WAY before. For new readers of this thread, this is indisputable.

That's all I need to know about which leader has handled this better.

Put feelings before facts as much as you want - sure, it's unfortunate that President Trump hurts many feelings with his blunt way of speaking.
    But I'd rather have a leader who hurts feelings but gets s*** done and knows how to lead.

Trudeau is a much better speaker than Trump, absolutely. That just makes him a better used car salesman.
    It's just too bad that so many people care more about sizzle than steak. President Trump is STEAK.

Dobber Sports Pro

Trump is PUMPKIN, and a hollow one at that.

For those that bemoan the fact that they don't like Canada's leadership and think Trump is the "be all end all", I tell them they are free to move away if they don't like things here. That tends to shut down their ranting pretty quick.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Trump is PUMPKIN, and a hollow one at that.

For those that bemoan the fact that they don't like Canada's leadership and think Trump is the "be all end all", I tell them they are free to move away if they don't like things here. That tends to shut down their ranting pretty quick.
    When the tables are turned at some point in the future, will you move?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    When the tables are turned at some point in the future, will you move?
    Nope, but I also won't be complaining incessantly in between elections like I was personally wronged by the results of something I didn't agree with. I'm a liberally minded progressive who has lived his whole life in Alberta so I can say this with some conviction.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Nope, but I also won't be complaining incessantly in between elections like I was personally wronged by the results of something I didn't agree with. I'm a liberally minded progressive who has lived his whole life in Alberta so I can say this with some conviction.
    We'll be keeping an eye on you

Apparently complaining incessantly is what discussion forums are all about...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Trudeau has definitely handled this better than Trump, but he too was too slow in emphasizing the severity of the situation and getting ahead of preventative measures. Trump on the other hand was not only way too slow, but was also sending the WRONG message altogether. It's not just about closing borders. It's about the messaging to the public so that they take it seriously. Things like social distancing and getting ahead of preparing stimulus and aid packages.

The US is ****ed because their leader, up until 1.5 weeks ago, despite all the clear warnings happening globally, was sending the message that Covid was not a serious threat. Then last week he does a complete 180 once he realizes how ****ed they are - and rather than take immediate responsibility, completely shifts the blame to the Chinese.

The majority of Americans are not very bright (these are the same folks who voted in him after all), so now they're in the situation they're in and hopefully they don't turn into the next Italy or we're all ****ed.

Administrator

What really matters is the virus curve. For now that's everything. On the other side we'll be able to truly evaluate everyone's response and actions.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Trump has made it clear he does not believe in something as basic as science so none of this should be surprising. This behaviour is what the American voters wanted and what a great deal still want. Their deaths are a feature, not a bug. Very very sad to watch. Keep safe everyone.

Dobber Sports Jedi

it's all the policies that don't get attention Trump has pushed through or repealed that are the scary ones. How about opening fragile ecosystems and lands for drilling & development. Nature be damned. Removing regulations on corporations emissions.

He's a climate change nightmare. The reason he and others deny climate change exists isn't because they don't believe it. It's because the current capitalistic system we have right now has to change so dramatically and so drastically - it scares the shit out of them. It's that fear that drives the denial. Not the record temperatures they ignore.

I get it... it's not a real thing. The climate isn't changing. yadda-yadda... It's a pretty simple situation to review. If Climate change deniers are wrong - what happens?

If climate change believers are wrong? what happens?

COVID is a warning from the Earth we need to change shit and now. Next time... we might not get off so lucky.

Just imagine if COVID & Ebola have a baby.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What really matters is the virus curve. For now that's everything. On the other side we'll be able to truly evaluate everyone's response and actions.
    There is no curve in the US... it's just straight up.

Infections are increasing in the US at around 40% a day. In a week at this rate they will surpass China in total positive cases. That's not per 100 000 people. That's total.

It matters not where this came from. It's how you deal with it when you get it. Partying on Miami beach.... sigh.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    There is no curve in the US... it's just straight up.

Infections are increasing in the US at around 40% a day. In a week at this rate they will surpass China in total positive cases. That's not per 100 000 people. That's total.

It matters not where this came from. It's how you deal with it when you get it. Partying on Miami beach.... sigh.
    It's doing the same in Canada, but definitely growing at a lesser rate. Still going up every day. That's what the virus does until it eventually reaches a peak. All we can do is hope the measures being taken in every location are enough to slow it down. The sooner it peaks, the sooner hockey comes back (among other things).

I'm not playing favorites here. My eye is on the other side of the virus. I hope we all get there soon.