Page 118 of 132 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1979

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So the fact that I told you that it came from a friends post on Facebook means that the information is inaccurate, not the information itself.
    Not to mention that your friend works at the hospital... so she has likely been dealing with COVID a lot more directly. And if she works at a hospital, there is likely some science and health education obtained for her role at the hospital.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Not to mention that your friend works at the hospital... so she has likely been dealing with COVID a lot more directly. And if she works at a hospital, there is likely some science and health education obtained for her role at the hospital.
    Thats my point. Whether the "source" is accurate or not, the information in there is pretty damn accurate. You cant call it BS just because I told you I got the information from Facebook. She's not just going to blindly share something there that didn't have validity to it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Thats my point. Whether the "source" is accurate or not, the information in there is pretty damn accurate. You cant call it BS just because I told you I got the information from Facebook. She's not just going to blindly share something there that didn't have validity to it.
    The information in there is pretty damn accurate!

But some people see the word Facebook and:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The information in there is pretty damn accurate!

But some people see the word Facebook and:

Even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

So the fact that I told you that it came from a friends post on Facebook means that the information is inaccurate, not the information itself.
    No.

What concerned me was the info at the end. (Not all of it)

Which is why I asked where it came from.

Before you even told me it was from Facebook I expressed concerns.

Then you told me it came from Facebook. I looked into it further, even trying to use google to try and source where the information came from. Turns out no one here even knows where it came from, let alone from a some health expert.

The fact that people take random stuff from facebook, without looking into where it comes from, is just a sign of our times. It's really disheartening.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding me? Have you not been living in society?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    No.

What concerned me was the info at the end. (Not all of it)

Which is why I asked where it came from.

Before you even told me it was from Facebook I expressed concerns.

Then you told me it came from Facebook. I looked into it further, even trying to use google to try and source where the information came from. Turns out no one here even knows where it came from, let alone from a some health expert.

The fact that people take random stuff from facebook, without looking into where it comes from, is just a sign of our times. It's really disheartening.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding me? Have you not been living in society?
    Are you kidding me? You dont know me or my friend so don't assume that everyone is an idiot and uneducated online. I didn't just randomly grab a quote from some joe-blow off the internet. She works in health care and probably is just as informed as most out there.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Are you kidding me? You dont know me or my friend so don't assume that everyone is an idiot and uneducated online. I didn't just randomly grab a quote from some joe-blow off the internet.
    I can almost guarantee you that this individual saw these tips from somewhere else on the internet, agreed with some or most, and merely passed it along without really considering the validity of all of the points. This is how our society, and social media (Facebook in particular) operates right now. Could I be wrong? Sure. Maybe this list is actually sourced from an actual health expert, and your friend thoughtfully read over all of the points, considered them all, and felt the information was really important to pass along. But I started off this conversation asking about the source of the information because some of the information at the end of it seemed off.

The fact that you're all up in arms because I dared to question some of the validity and asked where it came from speaks volumes. I never claimed you or your friend was an idiot.

But I'm not a farmer, so what do I know.

Dobber Sports Deity

This is one of those times I'll walk away from the keyboard.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Finally something practical and honest from the Head of the Infectious Disease Clinic, University of Maryland, USA: re.Covid19.

1. We may have to live with C19 for months or years. Let's not deny it or panic. Let's not make our lives useless. Let's learn to live with this fact.
    2. You can't destroy C19 viruses that have penetrated cell walls, by drinking gallons of hot water - you'll just go to the bathroom more often.
    3. Washing hands and maintaining a
    two-metre physical distance is the best method for your protection.
    4. If you don't have a C19 patient at home, there's no need to disinfect the surfaces at your house.
    5. Packaged cargo, gas pumps, shopping carts and ATMs do not cause infection.
    If you Wash your hands, live your life as usual.
    6. C19 is not a food infection. It is associated with drops of infection like the ‘flu. There is no demonstrated risk that C19 is transmitted by food.
    7. You can lose your sense of smell with a lot of allergies and viral infections. This is only a non-specific symptom of C19.
    8. Once at home, you don't need to change your clothes urgently and go shower!
    Purity is a virtue, paranoia is not!
    9. The C19 virus doesn't hang in the air for long. This is a respiratory droplet infection that requires close contact.
    10. The air is clean, you can walk through the gardens (just keeping your physical protection distance), through parks.
    11. It is sufficient to use normal soap against C19, not antibacterial soap. This is a virus, not a bacteria.
    12. You don't have to worry about your food orders. But you can heat it all up in the microwave, if you wish.
    13. The chances of bringing C19 home with your shoes is like being struck by lightning twice in a day. I've been working against viruses for 20 years - drop infections don't spread like that!
    14. You can't be protected from the virus by taking vinegar, sugarcane juice and ginger! These are for immunity not a cure.
    15. Wearing a mask for long periods interferes with your breathing and oxygen levels. Wear it only in crowds.
    16. Wearing gloves is also a bad idea; the virus can accumulate into the glove and be easily transmitted if you touch your face. Better just to wash your hands regularly.
    Immunity is greatly weakened by always staying in a sterile environment. Even if you eat immunity boosting foods, please go out of your house regularly to any park/beach.
    Immunity is increased by EXPOSURE TO PATHOGENS, not by sitting at home and consuming fried/spicy/sugary food and aerated drinks.

Live life sensibly and to the fullest. Be smart and stay informed! Keep your distance.
    Seems like some pretty good advice there Axe.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I can almost guarantee you that this individual saw these tips from somewhere else on the internet, agreed with some or most, and merely passed it along without really considering the validity of all of the points. This is how our society, and social media (Facebook in particular) operates right now. Could I be wrong? Sure. Maybe this list is actually sourced from an actual health expert, and your friend thoughtfully read over all of the points, considered them all, and felt the information was really important to pass along. But I started off this conversation asking about the source of the information because some of the information at the end of it seemed off.

The fact that you're all up in arms because I dared to question some of the validity and asked where it came from speaks volumes. I never claimed you or your friend was an idiot.

But I'm not a farmer, so what do I know.
    I get your points doulos, social media like facebook, youtube, twitter, reditt, etc., is actually becoming the number one source of information for most Americans. This proves how ironic it is that so many people are attacking the 'mainstream' media when their own source of information (almost always social media sites) IS the mainstream media. Of course social media sites have the added disadvantage in that articles and videos are not fact checked. Any Joe Blow can upload anything they like. At least reputable media outlets do go a thorough fact checking regime and strive to not misinform the public.

Social media? Misinformation is the purpose more often than not.

It is a frustrating situation that has left many millions of people completely misinformed on a variety of issues.

Staying vigilant to misinformation is import, however sometimes a spade is simply a spade
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

Trump now threatening to turn the military on American citizens. Peaceful protestors tear gassed to clear the way for his photo op.

Completely lost amongst all this is the fact that the pandemic continues virtually unabated while receiving almost no attention. Trump hasn't met with Fauci in over two weeks.

Dobber Sports Ace

The media are being attacked and arrested by police despite vocalizing that they are press, holding TV cameras etc. This happened on many occasions over the weekend, much of it caught on camera.

Just now this happened to an Australian news team outside the White House:

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/statu...t-news-updates

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Seems like some pretty good advice there Axe.
    What I find interesting is that there are A LOT of really weird web sites that post the first 16 tips and attributed them to Dr Feheem Younus. If you go through Dr. Younus' tweets, you can paraphrase many of them to match what's in the list. Then there are other lists with 16 tips, and then the two added (unnumbered) tips that set off Doulous' bull shit meter. I've scrolled through Dr. Younus' twitter for quite some length and can't find anything he has tweeted that supports those last two statements.

Then I come across another weird web site (https://www.time24.news/2020/05/it-i...ona-virus.html) that claims "the immunity is weakened by staying in a sterile environment" is completely made up. And that this "tip" is being promoted by people who are opposed to lockdown / stay-at-home orders (hence the advice to regularly go to beaches and parks).

I must say it does seem somewhat odd to me that a medical professional would advise that one should "regularly go to a park or beach" without also referencing social distancing and/or wearing a mask to protect others.

I'd be very curious to hear the opinion of Ax's medical friend on the last two items in this list, in particular.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    The media are being attacked and arrested by police despite vocalizing that they are press, holding TV cameras etc. This happened on many occasions over the weekend, much of it caught on camera.

Just now this happened to an Australian news team outside the White House:

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/statu...t-news-updates
    Didn’t realize this was the riot thread.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Didn’t realize this was the riot thread.
    Yeah, it's not the gun control thread or the religion thread either but that didn't stop anyone.