Page 53 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Yes, of course. I might find it odd, as would a large majority of Americans, but my position would still be simply to commend him for helping the way he's helping.
    And cutting away because of his religious remarks is filtering legitimate news. That's not reporting and they claim they are legitimate news reporters.
    Some guy making religious remarks is NOT news.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    This is why I have very little pity for what is happening in the USA right now.

http://www.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402...ance-stolen-us

https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronav...s-gowns-gloves
    Is this American's wrong doing or China's?

Americans pay three or four times the amount we pay, and in cash
    a planeload of Chinese-made face masks were bought up right on the tarmac just as the much needed protective gear was about to set off for France.
    The article makes it appear like the Americans bough them at the last minute. How were they able to buy them at the last minute if China was not willing to sell them.

If you have ever been to auction... you know its not yours until the Auctioneer has said sold. Well maybe the rules are different in China... maybe its not yours until its in your possession?

And France is complaining because they let the ball slip...

However, according to reports by French online investigative website Mediapart, the government knew about dwindling medical stocks as early as January.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Except it is for vast numbers of people in the USA. The Christian god is #2 only behind the US dollar.

Neither is someone's political views... but they air that nonsense all the time!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Britton's interview about the MLB season being downsized to 4 or 5 locations.

I know there's sites that have already been discussed - I'm not sure if I should even say this publicly - but there's four or five sites that are up in the air that MLB and the union have slightly discussed that these are spots that have the resources, facilities, hotels that could host a major-league team if we get to that point," Britton said.
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1968457

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Neither is someone's political views... but they air that nonsense all the time!
    True, but politics is something that impacts all of us whether or not you believe in it. It's more relevant to all of us than any particular religious views. The reason he's there has to do with the production of medical equipment, so he should simply stay on topic. It would be just as inappropriate if he started spouting off about his political views or anything else not related to his role in the subject.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Canada with a huge jump in deaths... 46 so far today. Previous single day high - 24 and 1400 new confirmed cases (could double by end of day) - previous high was 1100.

It's nothing compared to Italy/USA/Spain... but it goes to show Canada is really just hitting the CV storm right now. As with the US - it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Agreed, I just meant that they threw the baby out with the bath water here.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Canada with a huge jump in deaths... 46 so far today. Previous single day high - 24 and 1400 new confirmed cases (could double by end of day) - previous high was 1100.

It's nothing compared to Italy/USA/Spain... but it goes to show Canada is really just hitting the CV storm right now. As with the US - it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    The difference in trajectory here vs. for example the US is a decent indicator that the public health interventions we have put in place are working to flatten the curve. Hopefully this will result in a peak that is manageable for our health care system.

Dobber Sports Ace

Check out this graphic that illustrates trajectory using data from Johns Hopkins:

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/uploa...2QPt63GKyElmQ/

The curve (or lack there of) for the US is unreal.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is this true?
    I ask sincerely because this guy (despite being a former poker pro) is typically very credible. Not that former poker pros aren't credible but they kinda have to be good liars to be good at poker, no? Bluffing etc.
    Anyway he's a Democrat, so I highly doubt he wouldn't have double checked this.
    p.s. I'm terrible at poker.

Doug Polk
    @DougPolkVids
    ·
    3m
    This is not going to be a popular take, but the US is doing a substantially better job at widespread coronavirus testing than the majority of countries.

Spain/France/Italy all have 10%+ Mortality rates. Worldwide rate is 5%. The US is 2.5%. Its a step in the right direction.

Dobber Sports Ace

Testing is all about prevention, so that we can isolate people to slow the spread and perform contact tracing to identify others who might have been exposed. It doesn't affect mortality. If someone is sick enough to need to be in the hospital, or for a ventilator, that's what they get regardless of a positive test. There is no specific treatment, so the test doesn't inform how we proceed with severe cases. Mortality rate in a given country has more to do with demographics. For example, Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world.

Dobber Sports Ace

In fact, the graph I posted earlier is probably evidence that the public health measures that have been taken so far, which would include testing, are not good enough. The spread in the US has been unbelievably rapid, faster than any other country by far.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Is this true?
    I ask sincerely because this guy (despite being a former poker pro) is typically very credible. Not that former poker pros aren't credible but they kinda have to be good liars to be good at poker, no? Bluffing etc.
    Anyway he's a Democrat, so I highly doubt he wouldn't have double checked this.
    p.s. I'm terrible at poker.

Doug Polk
    @DougPolkVids
    ·
    3m
    This is not going to be a popular take, but the US is doing a substantially better job at widespread coronavirus testing than the majority of countries.

Spain/France/Italy all have 10%+ Mortality rates. Worldwide rate is 5%. The US is 2.5%. Its a step in the right direction.
    The US's mortality rate has more than tripled in the last 7 days.
    With it looking like 1000+ deaths today - That'll be 3000 of their 6000+ total in the past three days

Italy/Spain/France were much deeper into the pandemic earlier than the USA. They're now flattening their curves whereas the US is still approaching their APEX.
    I think when this is all said and done the US's dead rate will be much, much higher than 2.5% .. sadly.

The same can be said for Canada which sits at 1.4% currently
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    The US's mortality rate has more than tripled in the last 7 days.
    With it looking like 1000+ deaths today - That'll be 3000 of their 6000+ total in the past three days

Italy/Spain/France were much deeper into the pandemic earlier than the USA. They're now flattening their curves whereas the US is still approaching their APEX.
    I think when this is all said and done the US's dead rate will be much, much higher than 2.5% .. sadly.

The same can be said for Canada which sits at 1.4% currently
    Once you factor in how many people are likely out and about who have extremely mild, or no symptoms, but still have COVID-19, the death rate could end up below 1%. But I guess we will see. Unless testing continues to where nearly the entire population can be checked, we won't have an accurate idea. Hard to say if that will actually ever happen.