Page 119 of 132 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 1979

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Yeah, it's not the gun control thread or the religion thread either but that didn't stop anyone.
    you forgot the organized mass murder conspiracy thread. Haha
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    What I find interesting is that there are A LOT of really weird web sites that post the first 16 tips and attributed them to Dr Feheem Younus. If you go through Dr. Younus' tweets, you can paraphrase many of them to match what's in the list. Then there are other lists with 16 tips, and then the two added (unnumbered) tips that set off Doulous' bull shit meter. I've scrolled through Dr. Younus' twitter for quite some length and can't find anything he has tweeted that supports those last two statements.

Then I come across another weird web site (https://www.time24.news/2020/05/it-i...ona-virus.html) that claims "the immunity is weakened by staying in a sterile environment" is completely made up. And that this "tip" is being promoted by people who are opposed to lockdown / stay-at-home orders (hence the advice to regularly go to beaches and parks).

I must say it does seem somewhat odd to me that a medical professional would advise that one should "regularly go to a park or beach" without also referencing social distancing and/or wearing a mask to protect others.

I'd be very curious to hear the opinion of Ax's medical friend on the last two items in this list, in particular.
    I think it's safe to say at this point, that's common knowledge and should go without saying, especially the social distancing. You don't need to wear a mask if you are just sitting in a park or outside somewhere if you are already distanced. The mask is needed during the times you find it hard to distance (ie in a grocery store). I dont need her opinion on that. Even though I am not a medical expert, I already know that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think it's safe to say at this point, that's common knowledge and should go without saying, especially the social distancing. You don't need to wear a mask if you are just sitting in a park or outside somewhere if you are already distanced. The mask is needed during the times you find it hard to distance (ie in a grocery store). I dont need her opinion on that. Even though I am not a medical expert, I already know that.
    I'm by no means a medical expert either. I just find it odd that it is very easy to find legitimate medical experts that back up many of the statements at the beginning of the list. But I can't find anything that supports the statement "go out to beaches and parks as much as possible" as a covid-related tip.

In looking at the Ottawa Public Health website, this is the current advice:

"For ALL Ottawa residents who are not currently self-isolating:

Practice physical distancing

Stay home as much as possible. Only leave your property for essential travel such as grocery shopping or visiting a pharmacy

Stay at least 2 metres (6 feet) away from people outside of your household.

If you are going to a place where physical distancing measures are difficult to maintain (such as the grocery store, pharmacy, or public transit), consider wearing a non-medical mask (i.e. cloth mask), as
    they may offer some additional protection to those around you.

Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often

Do not touch your face with unwashed hands

Clean phones, other devices and frequently touched surfaces regularly."

A tip that says "please go out of your house regularly to any park/beach" seems to directly contradict advice from Ottawa Public Health.

And looking at the federal government web site, it includes tips like "avoid all non-essential trips in your community" and "go outside to exercise but stay close to home". That also seems very different than " please go out of your house regularly to any park/beach."

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'm by no means a medical expert either. I just find it odd that it is very easy to find legitimate medical experts that back up many of the statements at the beginning of the list. But I can't find anything that supports the statement "go out to beaches and parks as much as possible" as a covid-related tip.

In looking at the Ottawa Public Health website, this is the current advice:

"For ALL Ottawa residents who are not currently self-isolating:

Practice physical distancing

Stay home as much as possible. Only leave your property for essential travel such as grocery shopping or visiting a pharmacy

Stay at least 2 metres (6 feet) away from people outside of your household.

If you are going to a place where physical distancing measures are difficult to maintain (such as the grocery store, pharmacy, or public transit), consider wearing a non-medical mask (i.e. cloth mask), as
    they may offer some additional protection to those around you.

Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often

Do not touch your face with unwashed hands

Clean phones, other devices and frequently touched surfaces regularly."

A tip that says "please go out of your house regularly to any park/beach" seems to directly contradict advice from Ottawa Public Health.

And looking at the federal government web site, it includes tips like "avoid all non-essential trips in your community" and "go outside to exercise but stay close to home". That also seems very different than " please go out of your house regularly to any park/beach."
    Maybe that's true for Ontario, seeing as they are still showing lots of cases, but here in NS, we're being told to get outside and enjoy the weather but do it safely and smart. The whole "stay at home" philosophy was the word back in March and April in the height of the pandemic, but a lot has changed since those months.

I'll tell ya what. I'll just delete that post with those recommendations I shared and save us all a lot of grief. Do whatever you want to do if that makes you feel safer. My apologies for trying to share something I considered sound advice.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Maybe that's true for Ontario, seeing as they are still showing lots of cases, but here in NS, we're being told to get outside and enjoy the weather but do it safely and smart. The whole "stay at home" philosophy was the word back in March and April in the height of the pandemic, but a lot has changed since those months.

I'll tell ya what. I'll just delete that post with those recommendations I shared and save us all a lot of grief. Do whatever you want to do if that makes you feel safer. My apologies for trying to share something I considered sound advice.
    Please don't apologize! There are those that agree with you!!

Apologizing and deleting just gives these people what they want!

I am sick and tired of the squeaky wheel getting the grease!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Ford said there will be a "regional approach" to reopening Ontario and the GTHA (Toronto/Hamilton) will open at a different rate than the rest of Ontario. Smart, until I think about how most of the GTHA residents go up North, or will travel to Niagara for things to do since we have nothing to do. Spreading the contamination foot print.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

If you don't want people to question the validity of information, then post information that has been sourced from a valid source. Pretty simple stuff.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    If you don't want people to question the validity of information, then post information that has been sourced from a valid source. Pretty simple stuff.
    You're right. I'll just say everything from here on out came from my mouth and then you can decide if it's legit or not? Work for you?

Can you please provide a source for this?

Dobber Sports Ninja

You're right. I'll just say everything from here on out came from my mouth and then you can decide if it's legit or not? Work for you?
    If you had said ahead of time that this was a list that you came up with on your own then we would be having a very different conversation. I likely still would have tried to source it of course, but that should be a common practice for anyone examining information on the internet.

As it is there was a claim that it came from a health expert of some kind and when I questioned it and asked for some information on the source, there was defensiveness. That's unfortunate. You would think that in a world where both sides are screaming about fake news, that asking for some clarification on the source of some claimed suggestions would be something everyone should be happy with.

Dobber Sports Deity

If you had said ahead of time that this was a list that you came up with on your own then we would be having a very different conversation. I likely still would have tried to source it of course, but that should be a common practice for anyone examining information on the internet.

As it is there was a claim that it came from a health expert of some kind and when I questioned it and asked for some information on the source, there was defensiveness. That's unfortunate. You would think that in a world where both sides are screaming about fake news, that asking for some clarification on the source of some claimed suggestions would be something everyone should be happy with.
    As I've said a few times now, it was shared by a good friend of mine who works at the hospital here. I trust her opinion when it comes to sharing something online to all things medical, to know she isn't just grabbing something willy-nilly in regards to this pandemic and sharing it without looking at it herself to confirm the validity of the points.

I dont care if you don't trust me or not but if you are going to question the validity of something, be prepared to back it up with facts that counter that post instead of just questioning the source. I think that's the least you can do if you are going to take the time to question the validity of anything.

Dobber Sports Ninja

As I've said a few times now, it was shared by a good friend of mine who works at the hospital here. I trust her opinion when it comes to sharing something online to all things medical, to know she isn't just grabbing something willy-nilly in regards to this pandemic and sharing it without looking at it herself to confirm the validity of the points.

I dont care if you don't trust me or not but if you are going to question the validity of something, be prepared to back it up with facts that counter that post instead of just questioning the source. I think that's the least you can do if you are going to take the time to question the validity of anything.
    But your friend didn't create the list either. That's the point that you keep missing. I asked for clarification on the original creator of the content because I found the last couple points to be things I found concerning. I clarified that I would have been surprised if someone in that particular position that was claimed, actually said those last couple points. Turns out they probably didn't.

This isn't about trusting you. It's about original source of the data.

Asking questions and clarifying where data came from should be something everyone applauds and supports, not something that brings about a negative reaction. You even intimated as much yourself when you sarcastically mentioned that it came from Facebook, so it must be true.

Let's all be better. Let's make sure that what we are spreading around actually comes from real sources and isn't just Facebook BS that gets flung around. I thought much of the list was good, but some of it seemed off, hence why I questioned. Let's move forward with a focus on spreading truth. That shouldn't be something that divides people.

Dobber Sports Deity

But your friend didn't create the list either. That's the point that you keep missing. I asked for clarification on the original creator of the content because I found the last couple points to be things I found concerning. I clarified that I would have been surprised if someone in that particular position that was claimed, actually said those last couple points. Turns out they probably didn't.

This isn't about trusting you. It's about original source of the data.

Asking questions and clarifying where data came from should be something everyone applauds and supports, not something that brings about a negative reaction. You even intimated as much yourself when you sarcastically mentioned that it came from Facebook, so it must be true.

Let's all be better. Let's make sure that what we are spreading around actually comes from real sources and isn't just Facebook BS that gets flung around. I thought much of the list was good, but some of it seemed off, hence why I questioned. Let's move forward with a focus on spreading truth. That shouldn't be something that divides people.
    Absolutely. My apologies if I came off too strong. Rear view already.

Dobber Sports Ace

Axeman33, I have really appreciated your points of view and contributions to this thread. Thank you.

I do agree with Doulos that it is important to critically evaluate information that gets posted/discussed etc. however, and I hope as a group we can continue to engage to that end without things getting personal.

The Great One

For what's it's worth, I also apologize if my posting came out in a way that was unintended. I have posted on this topic because I find the concept of disinformation to be absolutely fascinating The idea that disinformation can actually influence or change the outcome of election just blows my mind (and also, to me, shows just how clever disinformation can be).

I could have done a better job by indicating that the spirit of the orginal post comes from a good place (and most of the information is very solid indeed).

What is still fascinating to me is that while I do believe the two bullets at the end didn't come from the same source as the first 16, I still cannot say with any certainty that they are untrue statements. I suspect they are not true, but I lack knowledge in this area and I can't find anything that supports or discredits these two final statements.