Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    This is 100% correct.
    You can get the same level of safety/diversification in the right ETF for a fraction of the cost (of a MF)
    It actually is not 100 percent correct. There are several mutual funds with lower fees than some ETFs. It's not the norm but It does exist. So do your own research. Again, generally I agree that ETFs are a better option but not always, it depends.

'Expenentially lower fees' doesn't even make sense. Over time you may see exponential growth in your investment with a lower fee fund (I suspect this is what he was getting at), but the quoted post is not 100 percent correct.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

TD Eseries is mediocre. It's slightly better than a traditional bank mutual fund, but compared to an ETF it's still meh.

Anything from a bank is a ripoff. Why? Because they have overhead expenses. Why else? Because they don't have the scale of Blackrock or Vanguard. Why else? Because they can get away with it.

Proof: TD Eseries vs iShares
    https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...s/mer-diff.jsp
    https://www.blackrock.com/ca/individ...fees&view=list

US Index Fund MERs: TD - 0.34% (e series), 0.86% ("investor" series - whatever the **** thatt means)
    Ishares XSP: 0.10%

0.86% on a "mutual fund" (this is the one they're pushing to the masses) vs 0.10%... that's the equivalent of me charging you fees of $1000 vs $8,600 on a large investment.

Now compound that $7,600 annual difference over 2 decades. Exponential.

Of course there some mutual funds out there that have lower MERs than some ETFs. If you're comparing a Mutual fund that tracks something simple like the S&P 500 to an ETF that covers something unique like Oil & Gas or Biotech then the mutual fund will be lower. But that's apples vs oranges. If you're comparing a Mutual Fund to it's corresponding ETF (ie: US Equity Mutual fund vs S&P 500 ETF) then the ETF will always be significantly cheaper for the reasons mentioned above.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    TD Eseries is mediocre. It's slightly better than a traditional bank mutual fund, but compared to an ETF it's still meh.

Anything from a bank is a ripoff. Why? Because they have overhead expenses. Why else? Because they don't have the scale of Blackrock or Vanguard. Why else? Because they can get away with it.

US Index Fund MERs: TD - 0.34% (e series), 0.86% ("investor" series - whatever the **** thatt means)

0.86% on a "mutual fund" (this is the one they're pushing to the masses) vs 0.10%... that's the equivalent of me charging you fees of $1000 vs $8,600 on a large investment.

RBC's MF's MER is between 1.8 & 2.2
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would recommend not going with those funds. You can get significantly lower fees and generally the lower the MER fee the better, but not always as there can also be up front fees depending what you're buying and how you're buying them as well as how much you have to invest.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Yup that's a typical bank mutual fund MER. It's insane what they charge people... and yet they generate inferior returns!

Mutual Funds are arguably the biggest legal scam in the world... insurance a close second.

Dobber Sports Sage

Of course there some mutual funds out there that have lower MERs than some ETFs. If you're comparing a TSX Mutual fund to a special Oil & Gas or Biotech ETF then the mutual fund will be lower. But that's apples vs oranges. If you're comparing a Mutual Fund to it's corresponding ETF (ie: US Equity Mutual fund vs S&P 500 ETF) then the ETF will always be significantly cheaper for the reasons mentioned above.
    If you're investing small amounts at a time with a dollar cost averaging strategy (Say $100/week), the 0.34% e series fee with no up front commission is far superior than paying the trading fee ($4.99-$9.99) for each weekly purchase. The MER fee savings of 0.24% doesn't even come close to making up the up front fee cost. The question posed was for a modest amount.

If you have $100, 000.00 to invest and plan to put it into the market all at once then the $9.99 up front commission fee is well worth paying in order to save the 0.24% MER fee. The math says it's a no brainer in that situation. So, once again, it depends.

Not everyone is at the same investment stage. Not everyone is comfortable just opening a quest trade account online with no branch to go to or person to speak with in real life. Some people simply won't be comfortable dealing with anyone outside of the same major bank they've dealt with for 50 years. That's alright and there are still good options for those people. You have to be willing to do the math and think outside of your own personal experience and situation. So again, the answer depends. There are no absolutes.

I would argue strongly that the first scenario for a beginner investor is far more common than the second scenario.

Edit: In the first scenario eventually there would become a mathematical point where it would make sense to buy less frequently and transition to the lower fee ETF. There is value for a lot of people in creating good habits and getting used to investing small amounts with some level of frequency and consistency.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Deity

So heres another question for you guru's. Do you do your own investing on a particular site, or do you go through a financial advisor?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So heres another question for you guru's. Do you do your own investing on a particular site, or do you go through a financial advisor?
    I have used BmoInvestorline for about 18 years or so.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I use Scotia Itrade but every bank has their own discount trading platform.

"Financial Advisor" = previously unemployed dude with zero financial knowledge who did a 3 week training course where he was trained to push the bank's wonderful mutual fund products as mentioned above.

I know it's intimidating but investing is not that hard. You just have to open an account (for free) and do some research on how to invest for the long-term. Researching what to buy is no different than the research you guys do on fantasy hockey players and their teams. Just start out with a small amount of money to learn with and invest more once you gain confidence.

There are a number of great super-low cost, robo-directed platforms now like WealthSimple which are also fantastic.

Dobber Sports Sage

I am self-directed and do my own investing with no financial advisor. A good book is usually more useful than a financial advisor but there are exceptions. Most of the 'advisors' in the industry should be called salesmen.

I have been using TD WebBroker Online Trading for over a decade. It links to my TD Bank accounts and is an easy site-to-site transition for me. I find them user friendly and they always answer the phone quickly and are quite helpful. It's important to note that monthly account fees matter when you're investing and I don't pay any because I more than meet their minimal holding requirements (If you don't meet the minimum holding requirements and have to pay a monthly fee to invest then I would look elsewhere. A good general rule is don't pay banks monthly fees for anything).

They do have high trading fees at $9.99 (lower if you trade a lot but generally new investors should not be trading a lot and unless you work in the industry generally no one should be) for individual stock or ETF purchases. I believe all mutual funds are free to purchase through this site but can confirm the TD E Series funds are definitely free as my 10 year old son buys them regularly (with me as the main account holder). I own ETF's and some individual stocks regardless of the fees because it makes sense for my investment strategy, the amount I have invested, my comfort level, etc. My son owns the TD E Series mutual fund because of the amount he has invested and his investment strategy (which is mostly my strategy for him at this stage but he's learning) etc. Paying $9.99 per transaction for his purchases would not make any sense and would really eat into his early returns. Eventually he will transition to an ETF, when the math makes sense.

I personally prefer the backing of a major bank to hold my investments over some of the other options available. That is not necessarily right and there are different schools of thought so do your research, but I do believe that if the proverbial shit were to hit the fan in this country the big banks would be bailed out by the federal government. We may find out sooner than later...

All this said the bulk of my net worth is in real estate and always will be. I'll start another topic on that in about a year when we start to see the fallout (real estate generally takes longer to come down mostly because it's less liquid).

Edit: Blayze is bang on. Fantasy hockey is very similar to investing.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

By the time the dust settles we will look back on this as THE investment opportunity of our lifetimes.
    Just curious if you believe it will be significantly different than the financial crisis and/or the internet bubble? [I recognize that you the economics impacts are very different than what we are experiencing now, but so are the government responses, I think.] It's an honest question from somebody that knows a lot less about financial markets than you.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Just curious if you believe it will be significantly different than the financial crisis and/or the internet bubble? [I recognize that you the economics impacts are very different than what we are experiencing now, but so are the government responses, I think.] It's an honest question from somebody that knows a lot less about financial markets than you.
    Every financial crisis represents an opportunity of a lifetime. 2008-09 was no exception. You could have bought anything during that crash and it'd be worth 3-4x what you invested today.

For what it's worth I think we are already in a deep recession - much deeper than the last 2. It will be more widespread and take longer to come out of. As such the opportunity coming out of it will be that much bigger.

Dobber Sports Deity

I primarily deal with CIBC. From what I can see they offer online investing through their CIBC Investors Edge application. They charge $6.95 per trade which I assume is good. Maybe I'll sign up for that and start doing some research on how to invest. Any opportunity to make money is a good thing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I primarily deal with CIBC. From what I can see they offer online investing through their CIBC Investors Edge application. They charge $6.95 per trade which I assume is good. Maybe I'll sign up for that and start doing some research on how to invest. Any opportunity to make money is a good thing.
    That's as good as it gets for an individual investor.

Within the next few years there will be unlimited free trades for everyone anyway.

Dobber Sports Sage

This is a solid plan Axe. The best time to start is now and it's never too late.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):