Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im just going to reboot this thread.

I am getting back some money from my income tax and thinking this might be a good opportunity to finally get into the market. I have never dabbled other than with RRSPs, but if I can make some good money from a bad situation, why not.

I see Oil is down dramatically again today. I cant remember the last time it was trading this low.

Whats everyones thoughts on jumping in now or wait it out longer?
    As far as when to buy don't let anyone tell you they know when the bottom is coming. No one does, just like no one knew the day it was going to start.

Your strategy should depend on how much you have to invest, your risk tolerance level, core values/beliefs, etc. Only you can answer alot of those questions.

If you have a long term outlook it won't matter that much. 30 years from now buying right before it started going down (at the peak) is still going to look like a great move.

If you're new to this I would suggest looking at index funds that cover the entire market or if you really want to invest in oil then I would look at a low fee mutual fund or etf that owns a bunch of oil companies so you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    As far as when to buy don't let anyone tell you they know when the bottom is coming. No one does, just like no one knew the day it was going to start.

Your strategy should depend on how much you have to invest, your risk tolerance level, core values/beliefs, etc. Only you can answer alot of those questions.

If you have a long term outlook it won't matter that much. 30 years from now buying right before it started going down (at the peak) is still going to look like a great move.

If you're new to this I would suggest looking at index funds that cover the entire market or if you really want to invest in oil then I would look at a low fee mutual fund or etf that owns a bunch of oil companies so you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket.
    This is perfect advice to new investors (in my opinion)

Dobber Sports Deity

Cool, thanks
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Cool, thanks
    No prob. Some great starter index mutal funds with low fees are the td E series funds. Because they are mutual funds you don't have to pay the commission fee at most brokerage houses (usually between $4.99 and $9.99 per trade).

A few of the E series index funds:

TDB900 (tracks the Canadian market TSX)
    TDB902 (tracks the S&P 500 US)

Vanguard ETFs, along with others, do the same thing with slightly lower MER trailing fees but with alot of the mainstream brokerage accounts you'll have to pay the commission at the front end, so it really does depend on how much you have to invest etc.

The key is starting though, if I was new I'd just take what I had to invest and start averaging into the market once a week right now. I've been investing for a long time and that's what I'm still doing now. I'm buying more while it goes down.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

By the time the dust settles we will look back on this as THE investment opportunity of our lifetimes.

As a starting point, I would completely ignore the vest majority of specific stock recommendations in this thread. Unless you're an expert on a particular company or industry (and even then I would suggest most "experts" are actually idiots), I would stick to ETFs. Specifically - the S&P500. The world will rise and fall with the US market - it's the safest bet to make. Canada is in a bad position going forward in my opinion, especially with the long-term outlook on energy and our lack of strength in high-growth sectors like tech and healthcare.

I don't know where the bottom is (nobody does), but if you:
    1) have a long-term horizon (10+ years)
    2) take a reasonable, measured approach and slowly build up some meaningful positions
    3) buy good quality stocks (again - ETFs are the safest bet for 95% of us)

You will undoubtedly make a shit load of money in the long run. BUT you've gotta have the stomach for it. AND obviously - we're talking about disposable income here (in other words - don't invest in this market if you're living paycheck to paycheck; saving up for a mortgage; or already have significant debt).

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    By the time the dust settles we will look back on this as THE investment opportunity of our lifetimes.

As a starting point, I would completely ignore the vest majority of specific stock recommendations in this thread. Unless you're an expert on a particular company or industry (and even then I would suggest most "experts" are actually idiots), I would stick to ETFs. Specifically - the S&P500. The world will rise and fall with the US market - it's the safest bet to make. Canada is in a bad position going forward in my opinion, especially with the long-term outlook on energy and our lack of strength in high-growth sectors like tech and healthcare.

I don't know where the bottom is (nobody does), but if you:
    1) have a long-term horizon (10+ years)
    2) take a reasonable, measured approach and slowly build up some meaningful positions
    3) buy good quality stocks (again - ETFs are the safest bet for 95% of us)

You will undoubtedly make a shit load of money in the long run. BUT you've gotta have the stomach for it. AND obviously - we're talking about disposable income here (in other words - don't invest in this market if you're living paycheck to paycheck; saving up for a mortgage; or already have significant debt).
    Considering I really dont know much about the stock market, I dont understand what you mean when you say that. I had to google what EFT meant LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Considering I really dont know much about the stock market, I dont understand what you mean when you say that. I had to google what EFT meant LOL!
    Pretty sure he means serious ups and downs. If you can't handle 30% swings... invest in something else
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Just that the stock market is volatile. Human nature makes the downs feel much worse than the ups feel good, as we're seeing right now. You have to train your mind to look long term and not focus on the day to day, week to week, or month to month volatility. People see things go down and feel like they are losing and they often panic sell at the wrong time. Developing the 'stomach' takes some time and never happens for alot of people.

ETF is an exchange traded fund. It holds a bunch of different stocks in one fund that generally allows you to diversity in an industry, sector, or market, so that you aren't putting all your money into a single company. If one of the company's in the ETF goes broke you don't lose everything and if one goes to the moon you don't get as much upside either.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

For those with limited investment capital - looking for less risky options -- who's got some solid Mutual Fund suggestions?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    For those with limited investment capital - looking for less risky options -- who's got some solid Mutual Fund suggestions?
    I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the TD E series index funds are an excellent low fee option. You only need $100 to invest initially and if you set up an automatic purchase plan you can buy as little as $25/week or month.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Mutual funds are a scam - avoid them altogether. Buy an ETF - S&P 500 would be my choice.

Dobber Sports Sage

Mutual funds are a scam - avoid them altogether. Buy an ETF - S&P 500 would be my choice.
    Generally i tend to agree with you but it's not entirely true. The answer like most things is that it depends on the investor and so many other factors.

Fee wise you have to do the math and for lesser amounts and a continued dollar cost averaging strategy the right mutual fund can make alot of sense still. The fees you pay on the front end can offset the benefit of the lower MER fee of an ETF depending on how much you're investing. Some brokerages offer free etf purchases but not many and again there's a comfort level for new investors that has to be weighted when it comes to using a major institution or an online only option like quest trade. Demographics and computer skills play a role in what's right for different people.

The first step is to start investing for the long term. You can iron out the details over time but with most people starting is the hardest part and once you do you start to learn more and more. Now is the time to start if you haven't. There are sales everywhere and Corina virus will eventually pass, things will normalize.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Generally i tend to agree with you but it's not entirely true. The answer like most things is that it depends on the investor and so many other factors.

Fee wise you have to do the math and for lesser amounts and a continued dollar cost averaging strategy the right mutual fund can make alot of sense still. The fees you pay on the front end can offset the benefit of the lower MER fee of an ETF depending on how much you're investing. Some brokerages offer free etf purchases but not many and again there's a comfort level for new investors that has to be weighted when it comes to using a major institution or an online only option like quest trade. Demographics and computer skills play a role in what's right for different people.

The first step is to start investing for the long term. You can iron out the details over time but with most people starting is the hardest part and once you do you start to learn more and more. Now is the time to start if you haven't. There are sales everywhere and Corina virus will eventually pass, things will normalize.
    It has been proven ad nauseam that mutual fund managers get slaughtered by their corresponding ETFs in the long run. That's just passive vs active. On TOP of that, typical Mutual Funds charge an MER of 1-2.5% vs 0.1% for ishares S&P 500 ETF (XSP). Those incremental fees exponentially eat into your compounded returns in the long term.

So let's see... ETFs offer superior performance (not even close) AND exponentially lower fees.

The whole mutual fund industry is a scam that prays on their retail banking customers who don't know any better. But if you want to keep fattening the banks profits while getting hosed personally that's your prerogative.

Dobber Sports Padawan

It has been proven ad nauseam that mutual fund managers get slaughtered by their corresponding ETFs in the long run. That's just passive vs active. On TOP of that, typical Mutual Funds charge an MER of 1-2.5% vs 0.1% for ishares S&P 500 ETF (XSP). Those incremental fees exponentially eat into your compounded returns in the long term.

So let's see... ETFs offer superior performance (not even close) AND exponentially lower fees.

The whole mutual fund industry is a scam that prays on their retail banking customers who don't know any better. But if you want to keep fattening the banks profits while getting hosed personally that's your prerogative.
    This is 100% correct.
    You can get the same level of safety/diversification in the right ETF for a fraction of the cost (of a MF)

Dobber Sports Sage

There are low fee mutual funds that aren't actively managed and track the index (fees far less than 1-2.5 percent). See TD E Series funds amongst others. They are not the norm but they do exist. There are no absolutes when it comes to investing.

I tend to avoid absolute advise but do your own research folks.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend an actively managed high fee mutual fund and I did not. But, to my earlier point, even that is better than doing nothing. There are far better options out there and again for most people the hardest part is starting. I'm also a big believer in investing in yourself or your business before the market. Investing in yourself has the potential for hundreds or thousands of percent returns, which will far exceed the stock market. But this is another topic entirely so I'll stop there. Do both if you can but I would prioritize yourself if you have to pick.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):