Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Seriously. Canadian Couch potato setup. Easy easy easy. Low risk. And you'll outperform nearly every active investor on the planet.
    Yup agreed.

one additional point: Make sure you have enough in savings to cover you in the short run. You mention this is a severance package, and we are living in unprecedented financial times. If you are not certain you can get by in the short term it is safer to take the income directly and then put it into the RRSP once you've secured another job. There is no tax difference between taking the money as income, investing into an RRSP and getting a tax return or putting it directly into an RRSP. The only difference is if you take the income directly you have to wait until you file your tax return next year to get the refund.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

I am intrigued by this Canadian Couch Potato setup so I have done some research. According to Canadiancouchpotato.com, they are currently recommending Vanguard or iShares Asset Allocation ETFs or TD e-series Funds. I am not going to do a comparison for the Asset Allocation ETFs since they all launched in 2018. I have taken the 4 TD e-series Funds recommended which are TD Canadian Bond Index Fund (TDB909), TD Canadian Index Fund (TDB900), TD US Index Fund (TDB902) and TD International Index Fund (TDB911) and built a portfolio with 25% of each of these funds. I used this 25% fixed income and 75% equity ratio because that is what I would use if I was investing for the next 20 years.

I then took two of my favorite fund companies, Fidelity and Dynamic, and built similar portfolios using one of their oldest funds in each of those mandates to create similar portfolios. I then had to adjust the holdings a bit (and add a 5th fund to Dynamic) to get to a portolio that is close to the 25% Canadian fixed income, 25% Canadian Equity, 25% US Equity and 25% International Equity of the TD e-series portfolio I created. I used A/B series funds from Dynamic and Fidelity because those have the highest expenses (MERs) and they include fees paid to an advisor who can give out advice on many different parts of your financial situation.

Dynamic Portfolio: 30% Value Fund of Canada (DYN1240), 25% Power Global Growth (DYN7057), 25% Canadian Bond (DYN7023), 10% Dynamic American Fund (DYN041), 10% International Equity (DYN3376)

Fideilty Portfolio: 25% each of Canadian Growth Company (FID254), Small Cap America (FID274), International Growth Fund (FID270), Canadian Bond (FID273)

Here are the numbers from each of these portfolios:

Rate of Returns (as of May 31, 2020)

Year to Date: Couch Potato: -2.75%, Dynamic: 6.94%, Fidelity: 2.40%
    1 Year: Couch Potato: 4.78%, Dynamic: 9.93%, Fidelity: 8.22%
    3 Years: Couch Potato: 4.43%, Dynamic: 6.21%, Fidelity: 6.58%
    5 Years: Couch Potato: 5.28%, Dynamic: 5.45%, Fidelity: 6.58%
    10 Years: Couch Potato: 8.39%, Dynamic: 7.91%, Fidelity: 10.27%
    Since Inception: Couch Potato: 4.59% (Oct 10, 2000), Dynamic: 6.67% (Jan 31, 2001) Fidelity: 6.82% (Sept 26, 2001) - not highlighted since they all have slightly different start dates but Dynamic starts 3 months later and

$10,000 invested on Sept 26, 2001's value on May 31, 2020: Couch Potato: $31,388, Dynamic: $41,045, Fidelity: $36,118

Worst 12 month period: Couch Potato: -13.60%, Dynamic: -10.15%, Fidelity: -12.65%

MERs: Couch Potato: 0.42%, Dynamic: 2.05%, Fidelity: 2.12%
    Last edited by chuckcouples; June 11, 2020 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Formatting

Dobber Sports Ninja

You've got some perspectives here Comish. You're smarter than I am, so I am pretty confident your research will lead you to a wise decision.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    You've got some perspectives here Comish. You're smarter than I am, so I am pretty confident your research will lead you to a wise decision.
    This is fantastic and gives me things to research before making a big decision. As to being smarter than you are, I wouldn't be so quick to judge there, you don't know me that well, lol! Thanks to everyone for their comments, rep incoming.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Yup agreed.

one additional point: Make sure you have enough in savings to cover you in the short run. You mention this is a severance package, and we are living in unprecedented financial times. If you are not certain you can get by in the short term it is safer to take the income directly and then put it into the RRSP once you've secured another job. There is no tax difference between taking the money as income, investing into an RRSP and getting a tax return or putting it directly into an RRSP. The only difference is if you take the income directly you have to wait until you file your tax return next year to get the refund.
    Great points, but I'm in a very good place. I'll have a decent pension plus I have a good paying job lined up and money in the bank to cover the in-between. As always, very much appreciate your comments.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Great points, but I'm in a very good place. I'll have a decent pension plus I have a good paying job lined up and money in the bank to cover the in-between. As always, very much appreciate your comments.
    You're releasing or just not re-upping?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You're releasing or just not re-upping?
    Releasing after 35 years of service. Got myself into a pool for a public service job and am pretty confident of finding something as there are quite a few openings right now.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Releasing after 35 years of service. Got myself into a pool for a public service job and am pretty confident of finding something as there are quite a few openings right now.
    Congrats! You shouldnt have any issues finding a public service job up there. Good luck!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

https://cdn.canadiancouchpotato.com/...-ETFs-2019.pdf

referring to the link above;
    The Canadian Couch Potato portfolio is essentially a selection of well balanced ETFs, and you are to choose the one that matches your risk tolerance? That's it?

This tells me I can buy 50/50 VBAL and VGRO or I can buy 30/70 VAB/VETQ and they are basically the same in the end?

If my risk tolerance is small/moderate then I just dump all my money into VCNS and forget about it?

Is the intention to weigh all 4 ETFs at 25%? Im confused because they talk about rebalance but if you are all in one, then how do you re balance. I am missing something here.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Pro

my investment strategy is far riskier than the couch potato strategy.
    I invest in individual stocks.

I have a large portion of my retirement savings in 3 stocks that were less than a buck before xmas.
    Similar to the couch potato method I buy and hold.
    I am up 60% on the month, 12% on the year.
    One stock i have held for 3 years - IPA.v - I am up 95k on the year. Working on a covid therapy now but was advancing nicely prior to covid.
    obviously my risk tolerance is quite high, but its like fantasy hockey - you need to put the time in and do the research to win. Patience helps as well.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    https://cdn.canadiancouchpotato.com/...-ETFs-2019.pdf

referring to the link above;
    The Canadian Couch Potato portfolio is essentially a selection of well balanced ETFs, and you are to choose the one that matches your risk tolerance? That's it?

This tells me I can buy 50/50 VBAL and VGRO or I can buy 30/70 VAB/VETQ and they are basically the same in the end?

If my risk tolerance is small/moderate then I just dump all my money into VCNS and forget about it?

Is the intention to weigh all 4 ETFs at 25%? Im confused because they talk about rebalance but if you are all in one, then how do you re balance. I am missing something here.

Thanks.
    The "old' couch potato strategy did not have the option the "balanced" portfolio ETFs. Vanguard launched their Portfolio type ETfs in 2018 so it makes this strategy even easier. You just buy the one fund that matches your risk tolerance out of the Vanguard Conservatve ETF (VCNS), Vanguard Balanced (VBAL), Vanguard Growth (VGRO) or Vanguard All-Equity (VEQT). Rebalancing is no longer required by the portfolio holder (ie. you) as these funds do it automatically.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The "old' couch potato strategy did not have the option the "balanced" portfolio ETFs. Vanguard launched their Portfolio type ETfs in 2018 so it makes this strategy even easier. You just buy the one fund that matches your risk tolerance out of the Vanguard Conservatve ETF (VCNS), Vanguard Balanced (VBAL), Vanguard Growth (VGRO) or Vanguard All-Equity (VEQT). Rebalancing is no longer required by the portfolio holder (ie. you) as these funds do it automatically.
    Thanks. Ill wait for wave 2 and then ill buy in. Ive been dabbling in equities for a few years and while ive learned alot and had some time in market beating gains, overall im just spinning my tires. Time to set it and forget it for a while.

Banned

Thanks for the advice, I was looking for something to invest in. The last contact I had with that sort of endeavour was writing an investment strategy around these flats in Berlin for a client, but I don't really have the same financial resources as they have, so it's not something that's in my reach. So, I was considering either going for one of the options you guys are discussing, or for something else I've heard about, in which "regular" people join big construction/development projects (stuff like a mall, an office tower etc) with moderate 3 to 5-digit sums and get their share of the benefits once the project's done.
    The thing is that as far as I've understood, you can get more benefits from shareholding, but it's less guaranteed and stable than real estate, as the value of the latter cannot sink as low as the former's when problems arise. In other words, I'm unsure of what I should do: do I go for the high risk, high gain one or for the safer option?
    Last edited by horrorfan; January 31, 2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: mod edit: removed link

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker64 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I was looking for something to invest in. The last contact I had with that sort of endeavour was writing an investment strategy around these flats in Berlin https://tranio.com/germany/berlin/apartments/ for a client, but I don't really have the same financial resources as they have, so it's not something that's in my reach. So, I was considering either going for one of the options you guys are discussing, or for something else I've heard about, in which "regular" people join big construction/development projects (stuff like a mall, an office tower etc) with moderate 3 to 5-digit sums and get their share of the benefits once the project's done.
    The thing is that as far as I've understood, you can get more benefits from shareholding, but it's less guaranteed and stable than real estate, as the value of the latter cannot sink as low as the former's when problems arise. In other words, I'm unsure of what I should do: do I go for the high risk, high gain one or for the safer option?
    I would avoid the construction projects and land development ideas. It's true they may pay off big but they are way more likely to never pay off at all. The Walton Group of Companies based out of Calgary were one of Canada's largest "land development' investment firms. They began in 1979. For years, their motto was that none of their investors had ever lost money.

https://business.financialpost.com/r...ever-got-built

Dobber Sports Superstar

Wow! Just stumbled onto this thread. An awesome amount of great information. I was surprised however, that no one ventured an opinion on precious metals, specifically gold and silver. I invested in both just over a year ago. The return has been absolutely outstanding. I've obviously been tracking closely, and the thing is, the vast majority of experts, and I've read countless numbers of of them, are all in agreement that multiple key indicators point to both gold and silver continuing to build value. If the US FED starts printing money, look out! Over the last year, Gold has increased in value 33.22 %. While silver lagged a bit behind, over the last month or so, it is actually slightly out performing gold. I would suggest there is an over looked opportunity here (:
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf