Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

Right now an investment opportunity is really uphill with this situation of the entire world almost stopped, I am looking to invest but with cryptocurrencies, I already have several acquaintances who have ventured into this world and they have done quite well indeed.

Dobber Sports Icon

Euro Manganese - EMN on the TSXV

This is a high risk play that could really pay off. They just announced they are looking for a strategic partner to assist with the development of Czech high-purity manganese project. This is an important resource for Li-on batteries. Their mine is located in the Czech Republic and could be the only source of high-purity manganese in Europe.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    The fees associated with investing make it hard to become profitable unless you really know what you're doing.
    If you're based in America, I'd recommend the Robin Hood App -- no fees (but some limits on off-hours trading and day trading).
    If you're interested, PM me and I'll send a link -- then we both get a free stock for your registration as well. When I initially signed up, I got a garbage stock, but have since been lucky getting a Facebook stock with one referral.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    The fees associated with investing make it hard to become profitable unless you really know what you're doing.
    Just by looking at historical returns, there is basically no one who "knows what they are doing" Almost everyone does worse than the market over time. In the short term you might get some people who get lucky with their gambling, whether that is with crypto or traditional investments, but as time goes on nearly everyone does worse than a simple buy and hold strategy.

Setup a coach potato type portfolio, make quarterly deposits, don't bother worrying about the stock market and it's nonsensical movements, and rebalance when needed. It's incredibly straightforward.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Just by looking at historical returns, there is basically no one who "knows what they are doing" Almost everyone does worse than the market over time. In the short term you might get some people who get lucky with their gambling, whether that is with crypto or traditional investments, but as time goes on nearly everyone does worse than a simple buy and hold strategy.
    Joel Tillinghast from Fidelity says hi. He's beat the index is by 3.86% per year over the last 30 years. That's probably a long enough time frame to show that he's not just lucky.

low-priced-stock-fund.jpg

Don't waste money on index funds unless you want to guarantee yourself a rate of return lower than the index itself. Instead, find the best portfolio managers and pay them to manage your money so your money can grow quicker than the index.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Joel Tillinghast from Fidelity says hi. He's beat the index is by 3.86% per year over the last 30 years. That's probably a long enough time frame to show that he's not just lucky.

Don't waste money on index funds unless you want to guarantee yourself a rate of return lower than the index itself. Instead, find the best portfolio managers and pay them to manage your money so your money can grow quicker than the index.
    I'll just respectfully say that I fundamentally disagree with you but this debate is not a new one and wont be won or lost here.

Dobber Sports Star

Is this chart before or after fees?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Is this chart before or after fees?
    The chart displays the return after the fund fees such as MER.

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...ced-stock-fund

"It is a hypothetical $10,000 investment made in the fund at the time of inception. Figures show monthly returns and include reinvestments of dividends and capital gains but do not reflect the effect of any applicable sales charges or redemption fees, which would lower these figures."

Dobber Sports Star

The chart displays the return after the fund fees such as MER.

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...ced-stock-fund

"It is a hypothetical $10,000 investment made in the fund at the time of inception. Figures show monthly returns and include reinvestments of dividends and capital gains but do not reflect the effect of any applicable sales charges or redemption fees, which would lower these figures."
    Oh okay, it's better than I thought then. How common are these kinds of results though? And how do you pick the "best portfolio managers" without a time machine?

I don't want to try too hard to pick this apart just because I prefer passive investing, but over the last 5 years this fund has actually UNDER-performed the index. Over the last 10 years it's ahead but only by a very thin margin. With a cost of over 1%, I'm not convinced something like this is worth the extra risk.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have a big decision coming up. I'm about to receive what is for me a decently large amount of money as a severance package. I can roll it all over as RRSP's and avoid paying tax until I pull them out in 20 years or so. My dilemma is where to invest this money. I was thinking of simply putting it into an RRSP eligible index fund as I'm not a big risk taker with RRSP money. I've read what everyone has posted in here and am not completely uneducated when it comes to investments, but I'm hoping to make a smart (and safe-ish) investment with this severance money. I've dabbled in the stock market with money I could afford to lose, but don't feel like gambling with this money.

Any advice for a play it safe kind of guy? It has to be Canadian funds though, I've played the US stocks game and learned a valuable lesson about currency exchange.

Dobber Sports Icon

Oh okay, it's better than I thought then. How common are these kinds of results though? And how do you pick the "best portfolio managers" without a time machine?

I don't want to try too hard to pick this apart just because I prefer passive investing, but over the last 5 years this fund has actually UNDER-performed the index. Over the last 10 years it's ahead but only by a very thin margin. With a cost of over 1%, I'm not convinced something like this is worth the extra risk.
    It's going to happen where, over certain time frames, all investments are going to under perform their benchmarks. Would you prefer to invest in the idea that has out performed over the past 5 years or the one that has out-performed over the past 10, 20, and 30 years?

I have a question for those who prefer passive investing over active investing:

What happens to passive investments when everyone moves away from active investments to passive investing? (if passive investments are better than active investments, this should happen)

To be fair, these types of results are not that common. There are a LOT of terrible mutual funds out there. It's also true that the majority of mutual funds under-perform their index. However, ALL index funds under-perform their index or they are not an index fund. This is because if an index fund truly tracks an index, the return from the index fund would be the index minus any fees.

It's not easy to pick the best portfolio managers without a time machine but thankfully there sort of is a time machine! Since results and performance are all public data, you need to do research and see what managers have outperformed their benchmarks for long periods of time. If someone has beat their index through a complete cycle (bull + bear), there's a pretty good chance that they can do so going forward. Hopefully, they are also training a team (or individual) to replace them when they retire so the decision making process can remain the same. It is true that past performance does not guarantee future performance but it can be a pretty good indicator.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I have a big decision coming up. I'm about to receive what is for me a decently large amount of money as a severance package. I can roll it all over as RRSP's and avoid paying tax until I pull them out in 20 years or so. My dilemma is where to invest this money. I was thinking of simply putting it into an RRSP eligible index fund as I'm not a big risk taker with RRSP money. I've read what everyone has posted in here and am not completely uneducated when it comes to investments, but I'm hoping to make a smart (and safe-ish) investment with this severance money. I've dabbled in the stock market with money I could afford to lose, but don't feel like gambling with this money.

Any advice for a play it safe kind of guy? It has to be Canadian funds though, I've played the US stocks game and learned a valuable lesson about currency exchange.
    Would you be happy with a 5-8% rate of return over the next 20 years? If so, I would look at the Mackenzie Ivy Foreign Equity Fund. It's a lower risk equity fund that the manager describes as a vehicle driving down the highway going 80km/hr. If the highways are clear and smooth, they are going to lag behind the competition but if they are driving through a blizzard, they will stay on the road going 80 km/hr and not end up in the ditch.

This funds track record over the past 30 years shows that this is exactly what it does.

https://www.mackenzieinvestments.com...ity-fund#00611 (series A with a 2.5% MER, includes fees paid to an advisor)
    https://www.mackenzieinvestments.com...ity-fund#00077 (series F with its 1.05% MER, which is the one you should be able to buy in a self-directed RRSP)

(and yes I know that this fund has lagged behind its benchmark for the past 1, 2, 3, 5, & 10 year periods but it has beaten the index over the past 20 years)

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's not.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post

Seriously. Canadian Couch potato setup. Easy easy easy. Low risk. And you'll outperform nearly every active investor on the planet.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Seriously. Canadian Couch potato setup. Easy easy easy. Low risk. And you'll outperform nearly every active investor on the planet.
    +1 to this