Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

I signed up online for my CIBC Investors Edge account, but they are busy as ole snot right now (for obvious reasons) so I am on hold from purchasing anything right now. Hoping to have my account information this week. Thankfully the ETFs I have been keeping an eye on for purchase have stayed pretty close in price since last week when I really started "shopping". Up and down with each day. I expect that to be the case for a while anyway so it's not a big deal, yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I signed up online for my CIBC Investors Edge account, but they are busy as ole snot right now (for obvious reasons) so I am on hold from purchasing anything right now. Hoping to have my account information this week. Thankfully the ETFs I have been keeping an eye on for purchase have stayed pretty close in price since last week when I really started "shopping". Up and down with each day. I expect that to be the case for a while anyway so it's not a big deal, yet.
    Don't sweat it you have time... it's only going down in the short term. The longer they delay you, the more money they're probably saving you

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Don't sweat it you have time... it's only going down in the short term. The longer they delay you, the more money they're probably saving you
    LOL! True enough.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

So are most of you guys holding off on buying into the market right now? I will stick to Canadian stocks for now. My account is open to buy stocks! But yes each stock order is subject to $9.99 commission fee. So it might be best to buy a bunch of stocks at one time. One I was particularily interested in is TD Bank because of their dividend yield is at 5.69%! I was thinking of shovelling 3.5 K into that and just sit on it for awhile. Nothing I had planned for money in my TD for now. But would it be too early in your guys opinion?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    So are most of you guys holding off on buying into the market right now? I will stick to Canadian stocks for now. My account is open to buy stocks! But yes each stock order is subject to $9.99 commission fee. So it might be best to buy a bunch of stocks at one time. One I was particularily interested in is TD Bank because of their dividend yield is at 5.69%! I was thinking of shovelling 3.5 K into that and just sit on it for awhile. Nothing I had planned for money in my TD for now. But would it be too early in your guys opinion?
    I'm still waiting for my CIBC account but once I get it, I'll be trying to time the Markey as best I can, if that's even possible. I'm just going to start with ETFs to get going and maybe one or two individual stocks, but mist will be ETFs based on the advice from the crowd here.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Personally I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. That's just one person's opinion and I certainly don't have a crystal ball.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm still waiting for my CIBC account but once I get it, I'll be trying to time the Markey as best I can, if that's even possible. I'm just going to start with ETFs to get going and maybe one or two individual stocks, but mist will be ETFs based on the advice from the crowd here.

Personally I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. That's just one person's opinion and I certainly don't have a crystal ball.
    Thank you for the replies! How much of your total free cash would you guys feel comfortable investing? I saved up over half of my earnings from 2019 so just wondering how much would others feel comfortable investing!

Dobber Sports Star

Thank you for the replies! How much of your total free cash would you guys feel comfortable investing? I saved up over half of my earnings from 2019 so just wondering how much would others feel comfortable investing!
    If I was starting out right now with all my savings and nothing in the market yet, I would probably break it up into a few chunks and buy on a monthly schedule. For example, if I had $20,000, I'd buy $5k tomorrow and $5k once a month for the next 3 months after that (or something along those lines, anyway). This is called "dollar-cost averaging" if you want to look into it more.

But I sure wouldn't even consider buying a single stock like you are. AT LEAST make sure you have 5-10 stocks if you're going the individual stock route (variety is important too - not just 5 bank stocks). You need diversification, or if TD goes to hell you're ****ed.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    If I was starting out right now with all my savings and nothing in the market yet, I would probably break it up into a few chunks and buy on a monthly schedule. For example, if I had $20,000, I'd buy $5k tomorrow and $5k once a month for the next 3 months after that (or something along those lines, anyway). This is called "dollar-cost averaging" if you want to look into it more.

But I sure wouldn't even consider buying a single stock like you are. AT LEAST make sure you have 5-10 stocks if you're going the individual stock route (variety is important too - not just 5 bank stocks). You need diversification, or if TD goes to hell you're ****ed.
    Solid advice. From the videos I have been watching, others have stated this as well. I am particularily interested in buying stocks from all the top Canadian banks. One mining company Taseko Mines Limited: TKO which I think may be a little bit of a riskier stock but would invest less into that compared to the banks for example.

Dobber Sports Star

Solid advice. From the videos I have been watching, others have stated this as well. I am particularily interested in buying stocks from all the top Canadian banks. One mining company Taseko Mines Limited: TKO which I think may be a little bit of a riskier stock but would invest less into that compared to the banks for example.
    There's an investing strategy in Canada that involves owning just 6 stocks (pick one from each industry):

Bank:

RY
    TD
    BNS

Railroad:

CNR
    CP

Telecom:

T
    BCE
    RCI.B

Utility:

FTS
    EMA
    CU

Pipeline:

TRP
    ENF
    IPL

REIT:

CAR.UN
    REF.UN

I have absolutely zero idea if this is a good plan or not (I'm an ETF guy), but it's a portfolio type that has quite a following online.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    There's an investing strategy in Canada that involves owning just 6 stocks (pick one from each industry):

Bank:

RY
    TD
    BNS

Railroad:

CNR
    CP

Telecom:

T
    BCE
    RCI.B

Utility:

FTS
    EMA
    CU

Pipeline:

TRP
    ENF
    IPL

REIT:

CAR.UN
    REF.UN

I have absolutely zero idea if this is a good plan or not (I'm an ETF guy), but it's a portfolio type that has quite a following online.
    Thank you. I am looking into this right now! With TD Direct Investing fees being $9.99 per trade, it would be best to buy a big chunk of stock at a time. This seems like the safe option in my eyes. Thank you again.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If I were you I would buy the S&P 500. I'd stay away from Canada for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Also if you're new to investing - start small and learn first. Don't go "all-in" with your entire savings for the year. This is an extremely volatile market - I'd hate to see you lose 20-30% in a week.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thank you for the replies! [b]How much of your total free cash would you guys feel comfortable investing?]/b] I saved up over half of my earnings from 2019 so just wondering how much would others feel comfortable investing!
    When investing/dabbling in the stock market, my mantra has always been "only invest what you are prepared to lose". Anything I made was gravy because in my mind it was money to gamble with. Maybe not the greatest way to deal with stock investing, but I had my RRSP's and other money and only invested what I could afford to lose. I likened it to gambling (which I don't do).

Dobber Sports Sage

If I were you I would buy the S&P 500. I'd stay away from Canada for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Also if you're new to investing - start small and learn first. Don't go "all-in" with your entire savings for the year. This is an extremely volatile market - I'd hate to see you lose 20-30% in a week.
    This is good advise. Dollar cost averaging in on a low fee index fund that tracks the S&p 500 is a very reasonable strategy for new investors.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Monster

At first I thought about just throwing several hundred dollars into some risky penny marijuana stocks but now am just going to wait another 2-4 weeks and see where the market is and how this coronavirus situation is going. I think what I am going to do is pick 10 or so stocks that I like from my research and focus on the long term. I do like some stocks with some risk and this list will be changing as I look into other stocks as well but right now I have:

Roughly 15-20 K I plan on investing

1. Tesla 25%
    2. Apple 20%
    3. Microsoft 20%
    4. Berkshire Hathaway Class B 15%
    5. TD Bank 5%
    6. Scotia Bank 5%
    7. Air Canada 5%
    8. United Airlines 5%

Percentage wise I would go top heavy of course. Am just a little leary on investing at this moment just because there is still lots of uncertainty in the market. The fees associated with buying 10 different stocks at once is going to be about $100 but Am going to think long-term. I will make changes, like I am still not sure if I am comfortable in investing into any airlines. But the researching part is fun!