Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Investment Opportunities?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Investment Opportunities?

You're not getting much diversity with your portfolio. Apple, MSFT and TSLA will all pretty much move in lockstep (with the latter being the most versatile). TD and Scotia ditto. Same with Air Canada and United.

Also you're going to lose a lot converting most of your money to USD to buy those shares. No point buying United if you've got Air Canada. Also you can ditch Apple, MSFT, TSLA and instead buy a NASDAQ 100 ETF which will give you more than enough exposure to all 3 of those (Apple and MSFT are the two heaviest weightings in the NASDAQ) and more. Better diversity and no currency exchange fees.

You're welcome.

Dobber Sports Star

The biggest hurdle for me when starting out was getting over the coolness of stock picking. ETF's are boring. There's no chance of catching lighting in a bottle and tripling your money overnight, but they will make you money and they eliminate the chance of you ****ing it up. It's almost a certainty that a simple couch potato ETF portfolio will make you more money over your lifetime than stock picking will. But it's not sexy and exciting.

So you have to ask yourself what you're in it for. Do you want to gamble and feel cool and impress your friends at the water cooler when you talk about your Tesla shares? Or do you want to reliably make money?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    You're not getting much diversity with your portfolio. Apple, MSFT and TSLA will all pretty much move in lockstep (with the latter being the most versatile). TD and Scotia ditto. Same with Air Canada and United.

Also you're going to lose a lot converting most of your money to USD to buy those shares. No point buying United if you've got Air Canada. Also you can ditch Apple, MSFT, TSLA and instead buy a NASDAQ 100 ETF which will give you more than enough exposure to all 3 of those (Apple and MSFT are the two heaviest weightings in the NASDAQ) and more. Better diversity and no currency exchange fees.

You're welcome.
    Thank you for your input. That makes a lot of sense. From what I researched the exchange fee is 2%. As for the Nasdaq 100 EFT, are you referring to [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)]TSE: XQQ? And would you consider it bad or risky to put half of my investment into it?

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    The biggest hurdle for me when starting out was getting over the coolness of stock picking. ETF's are boring. There's no chance of catching lighting in a bottle and tripling your money overnight, but they will make you money and they eliminate the chance of you ****ing it up. It's almost a certainty that a simple couch potato ETF portfolio will make you more money over your lifetime than stock picking will. But it's not sexy and exciting.

So you have to ask yourself what you're in it for. Do you want to gamble and feel cool and impress your friends at the water cooler when you talk about your Tesla shares? Or do you want to reliably make money?
    It's never been about the coolness factor for me. I think the direction the world is going towards is using more battery/electric powered motors. Maybe I am wrong on Tesla but I will give it much thought.

Dobber Sports Monster

Looking at the XQQ ETF it looks a lot more attractive than the plan I had earlier lol. Took me awhile to build up this savings and don't want to see it crash and burn. I still may invest some into Tesla because I think they are the sexy pick but I think it's best to put money into ETF's for me anyhow. Timing is everything, the question becomes when is the best time to put money in there.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Looking at the XQQ ETF it looks a lot more attractive than the plan I had earlier lol. Took me awhile to build up this savings and don't want to see it crash and burn. I still may invest some into Tesla because I think they are the sexy pick but I think it's best to put money into ETF's for me anyhow. Timing is everything, the question becomes when is the best time to put money in there.
    A lot of IT in that ETF. That one has appeared to hold pretty well in these ragged times actually. It's just pennies under $60 right now and in the past year, it's highest point was in February when it was selling for just over $76. That's a good thing I guess, as it was clearly on a steady growth prior to the fallout. I might look at that one but I am trying to find a better "buy low" opportunity but we'll see.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thank you for your input. That makes a lot of sense. From what I researched the exchange fee is 2%. As for the Nasdaq 100 EFT, are you referring to [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)]TSE: XQQ? And would you consider it bad or risky to put half of my investment into it?

[/COLOR]

It's never been about the coolness factor for me. I think the direction the world is going towards is using more battery/electric powered motors. Maybe I am wrong on Tesla but I will give it much thought.
    The spread on FX is higher than 2%. Also keep in mind that you'll get hit with it again when you swap it back to Canadian dollars, so it's a double whammy. If we pretend it's 2% then that's 4% minimum (realistically probably over 5%) up in smoke on FX spreads - meanwhile the long-term annual return on the market is about 8% per year to put it in perspective for you.

Yes XQQ is the correct ETF. I don't think it's necessarily bad or risky - it's an ETF. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to portfolio allocation - depends on the individual and what their goals are. NASDAQ is a strong long-term play. It's pretty much driven by the FAANG stocks which account for some ridiculous % of that index now, so if you like those going forward then XQQ is the right play.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    The spread on FX is higher than 2%. Also keep in mind that you'll get hit with it again when you swap it back to Canadian dollars, so it's a double whammy. If we pretend it's 2% then that's 4% minimum (realistically probably over 5%) up in smoke on FX spreads - meanwhile the long-term annual return on the market is about 8% per year to put it in perspective for you.

Yes XQQ is the correct ETF. I don't think it's necessarily bad or risky - it's an ETF. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to portfolio allocation - depends on the individual and what their goals are. NASDAQ is a strong long-term play. It's pretty much driven by the FAANG stocks which account for some ridiculous % of that index now, so if you like those going forward then XQQ is the right play.
    Thanks again Axe, Blayze and the rest of the Dobber Community. This is the first time I've had over 10k before. Reminded me of when I first joined the forums and was looking for help lol. For now I will continue to stock pile some cash and make an informed decision. Right now just putting my money into XQQ seems to be a good play.

Dobber Sports Icon

Another company to look into at this time is Live Nation.

This one is going to continue to plummet until the world returns to normal but once that happens, the stock price should bounce back very quickly.

Dobber Sports Monster

Just made my first stock purchase. 38 shares into Air Canada. Waiting on some other money to come in then I'll throw a sizeable chunk into an ETF like XQQ. Just wanted to make a small purchase to have a little skin in the game.

Dobber Sports Monster

The fees associated with investing make it hard to become profitable unless you really know what you're doing. $9.99 commission on every trade. I thought it was only when you buy stock that I would have to pay this with TD Direct Investing but I went to 'sell' my stocks just to see if there were any fees and again it was going to charge $9.99. Couple that with the $25 quarterly fee to use their platform it is very expensive. There are ways to get around the quartlerly fees of course but you need to have $15,000 in your account or invest $100 a month into an ETF but even then you are paying $9.99 for each of those transactions! It pretty well encourages you to put a tonne of money into the investing account and leave it there. I will be investing $15k-$20k soon so the fees won't really matter once I have those investments locked in but this whole process seems very costly. I wish I chose one of the free trading platforms but I will consider it in the future if I would like to try day trading. I bought 38 shares of Air Canada last week at an average cost of $16.90 and after today I am profitting about $120.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The fees associated with investing make it hard to become profitable unless you really know what you're doing. $9.99 commission on every trade. I thought it was only when you buy stock that I would have to pay this with TD Direct Investing but I went to 'sell' my stocks just to see if there were any fees and again it was going to charge $9.99. Couple that with the $25 quarterly fee to use their platform it is very expensive. There are ways to get around the quartlerly fees of course but you need to have $15,000 in your account or invest $100 a month into an ETF but even then you are paying $9.99 for each of those transactions! It pretty well encourages you to put a tonne of money into the investing account and leave it there. I will be investing $15k-$20k soon so the fees won't really matter once I have those investments locked in but this whole process seems very costly. I wish I chose one of the free trading platforms but I will consider it in the future if I would like to try day trading.
    Do this! Tinkering costs money. Come up with an allocation you are happy with and you should need to re-balance at most twice per year, ideally once.
    Do whatever you can to avoid quarterly fees and you correctly pointed out they can be costly.

The way you avoid transaction fees is simple: avoid transactions!
    $15,000 in VBAL is $10 if you buy once or $40 if you buy 4 times over the coming months. Either are managable.

As soon as you start tinkering by moving around your allocation you can run up fees in a hurry.
    Day trading is a whole other ball game, if you want to attempt that you need to be hyper vigilant about reducing fees. Also, you will most likely lose your shirt.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Do this! Tinkering costs money. Come up with an allocation you are happy with and you should need to re-balance at most twice per year, ideally once.
    Do whatever you can to avoid quarterly fees and you correctly pointed out they can be costly.

The way you avoid transaction fees is simple: avoid transactions!
    $15,000 in VBAL is $10 if you buy once or $40 if you buy 4 times over the coming months. Either are managable.

As soon as you start tinkering by moving around your allocation you can run up fees in a hurry.
    Day trading is a whole other ball game, if you want to attempt that you need to be hyper vigilant about reducing fees. Also, you will most likely lose your shirt.
    Yeah the whole day trading thing is a little scary to me. I hate losing money so I most likely wont try it but its just something I am researching right now. I almost put ~$3600 into Air Canada last week and would have been up ~$800 by now but I wanted to just do a small conservative investment for the long term so I just bought 38 shares instead. XQQ is the one ETF I am most interested in at the moment. But I will look at others! Am glad I didn't buy any US stock as I am subject to the 2% conversion fee. I think if I transfer X amount of dollars into my US Cash Account I could save on one of the 2 conversion penalties if my research and understanding is correct but for now I agree with you guys its most cost effective to buy into Canadian stocks.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Yeah the whole day trading thing is a little scary to me. I hate losing money so I most likely wont try it but its just something I am researching right now. I almost put ~$3600 into Air Canada last week and would have been up ~$800 by now but I wanted to just do a small conservative investment for the long term so I just bought 38 shares instead. XQQ is the one ETF I am most interested in at the moment. But I will look at others! Am glad I didn't buy any US stock as I am subject to the 2% conversion fee. I think if I transfer X amount of dollars into my US Cash Account I could save on one of the 2 conversion penalties if my research and understanding is correct but for now I agree with you guys its most cost effective to buy into Canadian stocks.
    You need a high comfortability with highs and lows to get into that world. Most people can't.
    Most people can't even handle short term trading - a week or a month per investment. It's too risky.
    I doubt any self-employed day trader uses a big banks platform anyway.

They're likely on Questrade or something similar. Minimizes fees and well, some just refuse to give big banks any more money in general - you can save yourself like $180 a year switching from RBC/TD/SOCTIA/CIBC to Tangarine just with a chequing account as well.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dobber Sports Veteran

Other fees to look out for from banks are “paper confirm fees”. I got hit with one even though when I set up my investing account I specifically said I wanted everything paperless. I had to go into the settings and set it up manually for online confirmations. $2 per transaction ontop of the $9.99 TD charges for each buy/sell. Could add up quickly if you’re not paying close attention.