Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Not a way I would use to decide my league playoffs but I love this idea. Would be a lot of fun to do with friends.

Could also take the remaining 4 teams left in the semi’s and combine all the head-to-head meetings. Team with most category wins, wins.
    One thought I had is taking every team's current roster, taking their season AVG stats, and laying that out over what the schedule was supposed to look like. From there, you can tally up who wins the most categories in the matchup, and award wins that way. It's certainly not an ideal solution, and everyone in the league would have to be on board, but it's an option different from just arbitrarily giving the win to someone.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    One thought I had is taking every team's current roster, taking their season AVG stats, and laying that out over what the schedule was supposed to look like. From there, you can tally up who wins the most categories in the matchup, and award wins that way. It's certainly not an ideal solution, and everyone in the league would have to be on board, but it's an option different from just arbitrarily giving the win to someone.
    Would the NHL do this?
    If leagues retroactively did this - a lot of past H2H champions would change.

H2H is an absolute beast of a competition as randomness goes... highly steeped in luck.
    You know better than anybody else (via PQMC last few years) that there are ways to surprise to an H2H Playoff championship in creative ways without having the "best team".
    Some teams have inferior rosters planned specifically for benefits of upcoming scheduling or opponent-category-targetting.
    [For example... my team - I might drop Moritz Seider for an actual skater if I reached a playoff final. Permutations of roster performances when teams have 3-4 transactions to use this week, then again in an H2H are too high.]

To use a strong word... I think it is foolish (for anyone) to consider taking something as random as H2H and try to pronounce a winner based on past stats or roster quality.
    [*To compromise, if playoffs can't play out - I would say a league should just have a "Regular Season Champion"... and leave it at that.]

Big Daddy

Once the NHL makes their statement things will be a bit clearer. Following their decision, I plan to get in touch with the managers of my league and try to find a solution. Luckily for me I put a co-commissioner in place for this season so I won’t feel all the heat on my own haha.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Would the NHL do this?
    If leagues retroactively did this - a lot of past H2H champions would change.

H2H is an absolute beast of a competition as randomness goes... highly steeped in luck.
    You know better than anybody else (via PQMC last few years) that there are ways to surprise to an H2H Playoff championship in creative ways without having the "best team".
    Some teams have inferior rosters planned specifically for benefits of upcoming scheduling or opponent-category-targetting.
    [For example... my team - I might drop Moritz Seider for an actual skater if I reached a playoff final. Permutations of roster performances when teams have 3-4 transactions to use this week, then again in an H2H are too high.]

To use a strong word... I think it is foolish (for anyone) to consider taking something as random as H2H and try to pronounce a winner based on past stats or roster quality.
    [*To compromise, if playoffs can't play out - I would say a league should just have a "Regular Season Champion"... and leave it at that.]

I agree it's not a great option, but is it a worse option than having no champion at all? Really just a personal preference at this point.
    Not suggesting it should be used, as I am 100% aware of the limitations and randomness of H2H, just trying to come up with creative ways to possibly extrapolate things that at least give commissioners another option to discuss with their league.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Currently commissioner of a one-year Head-to-Head League that pays out:
    President's Trophy
    Division Champs (3 total)
    Playoff Champ
    Playoff Runner-up

We are currently in week 1 of the playoffs so 8 teams in contention. If the season is

1.Delayed
    We will likely go with whatever our provider, ESPN decides. If the games are ultimately played a month later and weekly match-ups can be reconstructed we can still have playoffs. However if something bizarre happens, like the Sharks for example play no more games than we may need to deem the fantasy season cancelled.

2. Cancelled
    Asterik on the trophy and roll-over the prize money to next year's pot. I don't see any other fair way to declare a playoff champion. Our league is head-to-head for a reason, the randomness of playoffs creates chaos, unexpected results and you cannot simulate it in any way. You cannot simulate the hat trick that some 3rd liner will score in the semi-finals to knock-out the champion. The money is not a big deal to anyone in our league, sure it's nice to win but a couple hundred bucks is not going to change anyone's life. The only silver lining will be, assuming we get a 2020-21 season their will be extra hype to win the inflated pay-off next year.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sophomore

We are in our 2nd round of playoffs and the 1st round was a bye for the 4 top seeded teams in each division. Be nice if they played until Sunday (cant see this happening) so we can bring the number of playoff teams from 8 to 4.
    Gonna have to wait and see which direction the NHL takes, but wouldnt be shocked if the remainder of season was cancelled.
    If thats the case Just gonna put COVID-19 on the trophy and split the cash.
    20 team H2H Keep up to 4 . G/A/PPP/SOG/HITS/BS/Corsi SV%/GAA/W/SO
    6F 4D 2G 4Reserve.

F - Draisaitl, B. Tkatchuk,

G - Igor Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Currently commissioner of a one-year Head-to-Head League that pays out:
    President's Trophy
    Division Champs (3 total)
    Playoff Champ
    Playoff Runner-up

We are currently in week 1 of the playoffs so 8 teams in contention. If the season is

1.Delayed
    We will likely go with whatever our provider, ESPN decides. If the games are ultimately played a month later and weekly match-ups can be reconstructed we can still have playoffs. However if something bizarre happens, like the Sharks for example play no more games than we may need to deem the fantasy season cancelled.

2. Cancelled
    Asterik on the trophy and roll-over the prize money to next year's pot. I don't see any other fair way to declare a playoff champion. Our league is head-to-head for a reason, the randomness of playoffs creates chaos, unexpected results and you cannot simulate it in any way. You cannot simulate the hat trick that some 3rd liner will score in the semi-finals to knock-out the champion. The money is not a big deal to anyone in our league, sure it's nice to win but a couple hundred bucks is not going to change anyone's life. The only silver lining will be, assuming we get a 2020-21 season their will be extra hype to win the inflated pay-off next year.

^Agree.
    That's pretty much where the 24-team WHL is with our system on Fantrax.
    Conversation is trending towards splitting the playoff $$$ evenly between the teams that qualified.
    ($250 / 8 = $31.25 per team. Not quite as exciting as $200 to 1st and $50 for 2nd... but we're only halfway thru Week1 playoffs...)

I would say that I wouldn't "roll it over" - as you could see a completely different group of teams in contention come March/April 2021.
    But the key part is that if the league wants to do it that way... do what is in the best interest of the GMs in that league. (Thumbs up)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Agree.
    That's pretty much where the 24-team WHL is with our system on Fantrax.
    Conversation is trending towards splitting the playoff $$$ evenly between the teams that qualified.
    ($250 / 8 = $31.25 per team. Not quite as exciting as $200 to 1st and $50 for 2nd... but we're only halfway thru Week1 playoffs...)

I would say that I wouldn't "roll it over" - as you could see a completely different group of teams in contention come March/April 2021.
    But the key part is that if the league wants to do it that way... do what is in the best interest of the GMs in that league. (Thumbs up)
    Yeah we are a one-year league so everyone has a fair shot at the larger prize pool.
    In a keeper league if you wanted to roll it over and be super fair perhaps you could spread it out over 3 year... Adding $83.33 to each champ's take for 3 years? Again though, lots of effort for something that really is not that important.
    In your case I'd say give each guy his $31.25 and start over next season.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Not sure of the situation in the "rollover" situation, but you can't roll it over if trades for picks can happen in your league.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

we are in week 1 of the 2 week long semi finals . not much you can do for now .

The Great One

At this point I’d assume all platforms will have leagues simply sit the way they are until games resume. We’ll just get the season done in summer instead of April.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

We are splitting the playoff prize money between the teams in the playoffs and our season is effectively over.

The primary prize money in this league is distributed from the regular season standings so it's not a huge deal.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

A couple things I posted in one of my leagues (dynasty) that should be obvious but might need to be stated:

-Our league is past the trade deadline and has restrictions on roster movement between pro/farm teams. All of those restrictions remain intact ie we stay in playoff mode. We are not in offseason mode.
    -All upcoming deadlines in the league rules are scratched out. They will be revised when the NHL opens for business.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

My leagues are basically on hold but I am expecting the season to be totally cancelled. My take is to carry over the fees/ante to next year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    My leagues are basically on hold but I am expecting the season to be totally cancelled. My take is to carry over the fees/ante to next year.
    If I was not in the money this year... I would be all for this.

If I was in on the money this year.. I think this is a bad suggestion.

That is how everyone is going to feel based on if they are in the money or not.

I do not think it is a good idea to push the money back a season. Especially if it is a league that allows trades of picks and such.

Someone who put all their chips in the basket this year.. will likely not have a chance to win next year.

Someone who was rebuilding to next year has an advantage and can trade all their picks to try guarantee that extra pot.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​