Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Question How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

General discussion thread for topic above.
    I have one league where commissioner has already speculated that regular season champ would be deemed "League Champion".
    I think leagues have to at least let things play out and see how fantasy servers (Fantrax/Yahoo/etc) attend to it.
    I can't see the NHL calling the Boston Bruins as the "League Champion" based simply on best regular season record - if the full season is terminated.

Share any thoughts you have.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

I'm kind of in wait and see mode. Will adjust based on what the NHL puts forward (suspend vs modify vs cancel), and go from there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: How is your Fantasy League planning to deal with possible NHL schedule suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm kind of in wait and see mode. Will adjust based on what the NHL puts forward (suspend vs modify vs cancel), and go from there.
    Yep no indication so not making a call yet. Tough either way

Administrator

Wait and see. In head-to-head leagues the regular season winner could be crowned champion. In other leagues the current leader could be crowned champion. (Side note: This does raise a problem in leagues with max GP. Some teams are hovering around even while others are in the +10 range. Not exactly "fair" if a team hoarding man-games early benefits so much)

But as I posted in one of my leagues... once this plays out and the NHL makes its decisions our paths will be much clearer. So yeah, wait and see. A lot of our speculation might turn out to be unnecessary.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default What is your league doing if the NHL shuts down?

Our league is trying to decide what we will do for prizes/payouts if the NHL decides to end its season.

What are other leagues deciding to do? Just trying to get a feel for what other leagues are doing right now and perhaps apply that to ours.

Ours is a matchup pool that just started our playoffs. I think we are leaning towards awarding based on regular season standings though at this point as it is doubtful the playoffs will get finished.

Anyone care to share their views?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: What is your league doing if the NHL shuts down?

Money League... one could argue that anyone in the playoffs had a shot of winning.

So if the league gets cancelled you could structure a payout based on regular seasons standings but ensure that everyone in the playoffs gets a percentage of the pot.

I don't like the idea of just rewarding the regular season champion, cause we all know that anyone that makes the playoffs has a shot of winning.

Say 6 teams make playoffs:

1st) - 30%
    2nd) - 25%
    3rd) - 15%
    4th) - 10%
    5th) - 10%
    6th) - 10%

Or some other combination. Obviously more weight for the teams that finished at the top during regular season

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Wait and see. In head-to-head leagues the regular season winner could be crowned champion. In other leagues the current leader could be crowned champion. (Side note: This does raise a problem in leagues with max GP. Some teams are hovering around even while others are in the +10 range. Not exactly "fair" if a team hoarding man-games early benefits so much)

But as I posted in one of my leagues... once this plays out and the NHL makes its decisions our paths will be much clearer. So yeah, wait and see. A lot of our speculation might turn out to be unnecessary.
    If the rest of the regular season gets cancelled, then I think for roto leagues the numbers would have to be prorated to the max gp limit (or another agreed upon bar) so that everyone was on an even footing, and the teams that went way over on GP didn't get a boost.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What is your league doing if the NHL shuts down?

It's a tough call. It's league dependent I would say.

Money League:
    - I agree with PH. All playoff teams need to get a percentage. But weighted based on regular season standings. But if the league goes through the weekend, teams eliminated this week don't get anything. It's kinda dodgy if it's cancelled today/Friday since one could say they were locked in as a win at this point in the league. I'd ask the league for this week what they want to do. Best way would be everyone gets a percentage back who made the playoffs.

Keeper League:
    - I would say just regular season standings. You get 1st in the regular season, you end up 1st and end up drafting last next season.

1 yr league:
    - Regular season standings is your standings.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    If the rest of the regular season gets cancelled, then I think for roto leagues the numbers would have to be prorated to the max gp limit (or another agreed upon bar) so that everyone was on an even footing, and the teams that went way over on GP didn't get a boost.
    In my one league where this matters I'm sitting around +6 at each skater position (by design to avoid stars sitting out the last week) and around -25 for goalies (quality over quantity in this league)

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I have one league where commissioner has already speculated that regular season champ would be deemed "League Champion".
    Not sure if this is in reference to PQMC but nothing has been decided yet. We will take the wait and see approach. Hopefully we have an opportunity to play out the remainder of our playoffs but it isn’t looking good. The only two options I can think of is awarding the regular season winner or not have a champion at all. Rather than the commissioner making the call I think it would have to come down to some kind of league vote.

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to determine the playoff winner of fantasy is done for the year?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Not sure if this is in reference to PQMC but nothing has been decided yet. We will take the wait and see approach. Hopefully we have an opportunity to play out the remainder of our playoffs but it isn’t looking good. The only two options I can think of is awarding the regular season winner or not have a champion at all. Rather than the commissioner making the call I think it would have to come down to some kind of league vote.

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to determine the playoff winner of fantasy is done for the year?
    Most of the people in my hockey league are in my MLB fantasy league. We typically do a party for the draft for MLB. We might end up doing a live competition to determine our rankings? Drinking game, play some NHL20, make an NHL team of your players and sim a game against your opponent?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    ...play some NHL20, make an NHL team of your players and sim a game against your opponent?
    Not a way I would use to decide my league playoffs but I love this idea. Would be a lot of fun to do with friends.

Could also take the remaining 4 teams left in the semi’s and combine all the head-to-head meetings. Team with most category wins, wins.

Administrator

Cage match tournament

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Not sure if this is in reference to PQMC but nothing has been decided yet.
    I try to not reference leagues/commissioners directly.
    Thread is meant as a general conversation.

I don't believe commissioner of PQMC has made any formal decisions yet.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In WHL, we have opened up discussion of prize payouts.
    We are fortunate that our regular season just ended (March 8th) - so prize payouts are already made there.

I think most H2H leagues SHOULD have separate merit (prizes, recognition) for regular season and playoffs.
    NHL does this with President's Trophy & Stanley Cup.

For H2H fantasy league playoffs... my personal opinion is that all (8 in WHL) qualifying teams should split the money evenly.
    WHL awards $200 to the 1st place playoff champ, $50 to runner-up. Other 6/8 teams qualifying for top tier playoffs do not get money.
    In WHL Season1, the #8seed beat the #1seed in opening round.

Some playoff teams mortgage their future just to qualify for H2H playoffs and go for the title.
    For this type of reason, I don't even believe a pro-rated (1st, 2nd, etc.) distribution of total playoff prize money is fair. (esp. when regular season prizes exist for best H2H record)
    It IS (certainly) a tough spot for commissioners/leagues in money-leagues.
    They should at least open a discussion right now.

Comparatively, I highly doubt the NHL would allocate a weighted playoff bonuses to NHL teams based simply on regular season record.
    When in doubt, I think a lot of fantasy leagues can find fairness by looking at how the NHL handles these things.
    We do play fantasy hockey to slightly mimic the NHL system.