Thread: Varky or Ullmark

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Varly or Ullmark

League in sig. Varly has been so good all year long until recently. He started 9/10 games a couple weeks ago and rocked the starts. Now he can't seem to make a save. Ullmark is available in my league. Would anyone consider this move?

Talk me off the cliff or Sparta me over it please.

Thanks.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Varky or Ullmark

With your setup, drop Varlamov for an extra skater. Why are you running four goalies?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    With your setup, drop Varlamov for an extra skater. Why are you running four goalies?
    Thanks for the thoughts.

The two guys in the 1/4 finals (the winner of which I will face in the semis) have 5 goalies each. Goalies are at a real premium in my league:

Team 1 (winning 9-1 right now)
    Andrei Vasilevskiy TB - G
    Curtis McElhinney TB - G
    Jake Allen StL - G
    Jordan Binnington StL - G
    Matt Murray Pit - G

Team 2
    David Rittich Cgy - G
    Joonas Korpisalo Cls - G
    Chris Driedger Fla - G
    Darcy Kuemper Ari - G
    Cam Talbot Cgy - G

2/4 stats are cumulative. My gut feel is that 3 starters isn't quite enough to win the goalie cats. With that said, I can't have 4 or 5 goal stinkers. I am already worried that Mrazek is going to expose me. I really don't want to worry about 2 goalies. I also think my skaters are the best in my league. I think all things equal I will lose the week only if my goalies have a bad week.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Titan

Yes SO is technically cumulative, but it's a crapshoot. If you rightly discount it, you have one cumulative stat, and two average ones. Three good start from two goalies is all you need to take the average stats, and then having thee extra skaters (possibly 12 man games) gives you a massive advantage in the skater stats which are, guess what, all cumulative stats (well except +/-, but that's also a crap shoot). Don't handicap yourself just because your leaguemates are.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yes SO is technically cumulative, but it's a crapshoot. If you rightly discount it, you have one cumulative stat, and two average ones. Three good start from two goalies is all you need to take the average stats, and then having thee extra skaters (possibly 12 man games) gives you a massive advantage in the skater stats which are, guess what, all cumulative stats (well except +/-, but that's also a crap shoot). Don't handicap yourself just because your leaguemates are.
    We don't track SO. We track Saves and Wins.

D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by anthonybeaty View Post
    We don't track SO. We track Saves and Wins.
    Sorry, I read that as SO. My bad. I can understand the four goalies now though. However, even with that, I wonder if zigging while everyone zags could work out in your favour here. Do you think you could take of the skater categories if you had 3 more skaters than the teams you're up against?

The Great One

Yea I think its the correct play in a saves league- you need that start volume or youre just sacking a cat for free.

This... is.... Buffalo!!!

Go Ullmark- hes playing good, he'll be a 1a if not the outright starter, if theres keeper implications he could surprise you, and most importantly- Varlamov sucks :P But seriously hes an injury bag/and tandeming without an end in sight. Yes NYI is a great system to play goaltender for but I think Ullmark is a solid/sneaky add right now and could tip some scales!!