Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

Winnipeg Jets owner will not pay his 1,200 part-time employees while the NHL is suspended. "work when we work".

Oof.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Winnipeg Jets owner will not pay his 1,200 part-time employees while the NHL is suspended. "work when we work".

Oof.

Yeah, it has to be hard for the teams on a strict budget to do this. Maybe the owner of the Maple Leafs will step up and pay the part time employees for Winnipeg?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yeah, it has to be hard for the teams on a strict budget to do this. Maybe the owner of the Maple Leafs will step up and pay the part time employees for Winnipeg?
    The owner of the Jets is "True North Sports and Entertainment" and the CEO is Mark Chipman who's worth $500mill. I know it gets merky with payments of employees when it's a company owning the team like with the Leafs and most of the NHL teams, but when Cleveland Cavs are paying their employees, there isn't much of an excuse. Curious how the world executes this stuff.

Kevin Love stepped up and donated $100,000 to the arena employees before the Cavs team did, so I'm curious if top players in the NHL do the same. Salary difference in the NHL vs NBA is huge and $100k in the NBA isa lot small to a guy like the Love.

Jets are also part owned by a man worth $37.8 billion. I'd like to also state, I understand they are under no obligation to pay these workers. Part Time work has it's drawbacks, and this is one of them. No work, no pay. But it would just be nice to see organizations step up and help. But that's all it is, help. And it's not legally needed to happen.

Dobber Sports Deity

The owner of the Jets is "True North Sports and Entertainment" and the CEO is Mark Chipman who's worth $500mill. I know it gets merky with payments of employees when it's a company owning the team like with the Leafs and most of the NHL teams, but when Cleveland Cavs are paying their employees, there isn't much of an excuse. Curious how the world executes this stuff.

Kevin Love stepped up and donated $100,000 to the arena employees before the Cavs team did, so I'm curious if top players in the NHL do the same. Salary difference in the NHL vs NBA is huge and $100k in the NBA isa lot small to a guy like the Love.

Jets are also part owned by a man worth $37.8 billion. I'd like to also state, I understand they are under no obligation to pay these workers. Part Time work has it's drawbacks, and this is one of them. No work, no pay. But it would just be nice to see organizations step up and help. But that's all it is, help. And it's not legally needed to happen.
    Kevin Love signed a 4 year / $120,402,172 contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, including $120,402,172 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $30,100,543. In 2019-20, Love will earn a base salary of $28,942,830, while carrying a cap hit of $28,942,830 and a dead cap value of $28,942,830.
    At $30M per year, thats a small price to pay, but it's a nice gesture on his part none the less.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At $30M per year, thats a small price to pay, but it's a nice gesture on his part none the less.
    Ya i had like a stroke typing that part. I was trying to say $100k of his $30mill salary is small, but $100k is $100k.
    His $100k is the same percentage of his wage as someone making $54k donating $180.

Dobber Sports Icon

But it would just be nice to see organizations step up and help. But that's all it is, help. And it's not legally needed to happen.
    I work in a restaurant and my manager told me last night to get ready for no income as they expect us to have to close down soon (within the next week or two). I am 100% positive they will not compensate us for any lost time. I am looking for a second job today.

I think China should be compensating anyone who loses work. Obviously that would never happen, but it would be appropriate. But that would be taking responsibility for something. Not their style.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I work in a restaurant and my manager told me last night to get ready for no income as they expect us to have to close down soon (within the next week or two). I am 100% positive they will not compensate us for any lost time. I am looking for a second job today.
    This is the argument the Jets would make. Then there's the Devils, who is owned by Josh Harris with a net worth of $3.8billion who said employees/event staff are family and need to be treated like family.

A restaurant owner vs a billionaire is a difference. I'd say it's a world of grey in this situation, but I'm just disappointed owners aren't taking care of their workers like this, and that means in anyway possible.

Feel bad for you though PD, goodluck with the job hunt!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post

I think China should be compensating anyone who loses work. Obviously that would never happen, but it would be appropriate. But that would be taking responsibility for something. Not their style.
    It's on your country's government to compensate you, not China.

Lots of people will be feeling the pinch here... it will be widespread across many industries. Probably a 1-2 year recession.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It's on your country's government to compensate you, not China.

Lots of people will be feeling the pinch here... it will be widespread across many industries. Probably a 1-2 year recession.
    Well, it's on my government to protect me from foreign threats, which they failed at miserably.

China is the source of the virus, and they covered it up for 2 months before admitting it to the world. If they had asked the WHO for help in containing it in early December when it was first discovered they probably would have been able to contain it within an area of China. Instead they jailed the doctor who discovered it, and enforced censorship everywhere to try and keep it quiet.

The world lost 2 months to get ahead of this thing.

But then when it was obvious this would get worse (the WHO warned the entire world a month ago) our government kept the borders wide open and did nothing, reassuring us the threat was low.

So the Canadian government does bear a lot of the responsibility for how bad things are going to get, they did absolutely nothing while alarm bells and red flags were going off around the world, and the WHO was telling the world to get ready and take measures. Canada instituted some weak half-measures today, but it took the PM's wife catching it to make that happen. Way too little way too late. The US ban on inbound European travel was too little too late, so Canada's "requests" are pretty damn pathetic in comparison.

But make no mistake - this global pandemic was caused by China. It was exacerbated by their futile attempts to cover-up and save face. Now the entire world is paying the price.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Agreed Canada did not do enough fast enough.

No countries did.

The US, however, is likely the worst offender because Trump kept downplaying the threat likening it to the common flu. His tweets about how this whole thing was overblown are not aging well. Trump was terrified that being proactive and admitting the situation was serious might hurt 'his' economy and thus his chances of re-election. The States are way behind the 8 ball and their numbers of covid 19 testing kits and procedures are anemic compared to other countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ency-sick-joke

Canada has asked all person leaving the country to self quarantine for 14 days upon return. At least that is something. Will they do it? I don't know. Some folks can be pretty short sighted and selfish. The inevitable fake news articles circulating on social media certainly weren't helping people take the proper steps.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Genius

We will never return to normal society if people just don't accept the virus. For the majority of people it will be mild and for those who have serious adverse affects, they will need to seek care. If we don't accept this, we will just keep spinning our wheels.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    We will never return to normal society if people just don't accept the virus. For the majority of people it will be mild and for those who have serious adverse affects, they will need to seek care. If we don't accept this, we will just keep spinning our wheels.
    Not sure what you mean by "accept the virus" Canucks_fan18....
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "accept the virus" Canucks_fan18....
    Accept that there is going to be more transmissions, that although we can flatten the curve (which is a good thing) over the course of time a vast majority will still end up with it. Stop sensationalizing it on mainstream media, social media etc.. Monitor your symptoms as if you would monitor any other sickness, if it gets bad enough go seek care, if not drink fluids and stay home.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports All-Star

Ah. Exactly. No reason to panic but be prudent and vigilant. Pretty much common sense. I believe this is exactly what credible news organizations are preaching. Postpone travel and think of others. Wash your hands. Etc., etc.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Administrator

The virus is a serious situation that will require some short-term sacrifices to contain and I'm ready for that. I did a heavy load of groceries yesterday and renewed my asthma inhalers. I won't be in total isolation but I'm ready to stay in more often than normal.

Individually the vast majority of us will not get sick. But whether or not we end up being some of the unlucky ones, that's not in our control. We can't stress and overreact to stuff we can't control.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust