Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

Dobber Sports Monster

Default NHL pauses regular season because of coronavirus

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1237924457454411776

NBA season already suspended.

Man, this sucks.

edit: As you probably already know, the NHL has hit the pause button on the 2019-2020 season.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: NHL not suspending season over coronavirus - at least not yet

.......... Yet

Dobber Sports Ninja

NHL will follow I'm sure

Administrator

Once a player tests positive you would imagine a large portion of the league would go into quarantine for 14 days. It might take a player testing positive.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would rather them do it now then wait for a player to get it

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Once a player tests positive you would imagine a large portion of the league would go into quarantine for 14 days. It might take a player testing positive.
    By the time a positive test is confirmed, a player may have already spread it to others.

These players are young and relatively healthy, they may have zero clue they even have it and will be unknowingly spreading it

And then there's the ego/toughness thing... this is crunch time for many teams making the playoff push. I doubt a player will have the balls to step up and say "hey guys I'm ditching you all cause of this cough I've got". Most likely they'll keep it quiet, suck it up and play.

NHL will suspend for sure... now that there's a precedent the other leagues risk looking irresponsible when one of their players inevitably get it. It's only a matter of time.

Administrator

Quick thought: How much of an impact does this have on hockey related revenue and the salary cap?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    By the time a positive test is confirmed, a player may have already spread it to others.

These players are young and relatively healthy, they may have zero clue they even have it and will be unknowingly spreading it

And then there's the ego/toughness thing... this is crunch time for many teams making the playoff push. I doubt a player will have the balls to step up and say "hey guys I'm ditching you all cause of this cough I've got". Most likely they'll keep it quiet, suck it up and play.

NHL will suspend for sure... now that there's a precedent the other leagues risk looking irresponsible when one of their players inevitably get it. It's only a matter of time.
    agree here
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Ninja

This is the infected NBA player, mocking the virus just two days ago at a press conference by touching everything

Gotta love Darwinism

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    This is the infected NBA player, mocking the virus just two days ago at a press conference by touching everything

Gotta love Darwinism

Holy f*ck. This isn’t Darwinism. 99.95 % of people who contract it will have no long lasting effect. Including this NBA player. This is mass hysteria on a scale that boggles the mind. Those in at risk demographics need to stay home and everyone else needs to wash their hands. That’s it. If I’m a lawyer I’m salivating over the amount of money this is going to cost entities like the NBA or airlines and the lawsuits to come because it’s loss of revenue based on complete bull shit.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Quick thought: How much of an impact does this have on hockey related revenue and the salary cap?
    It will depend on if the season gets shortened, cancelled, or just pushed back. Losing all the playoff revenue would be a huge blow. Remember someone mentioning that maybe in that case we just see the cap stay at $81.5M for next year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Within the last 5 days, I think every team has some form of interaction with every other NBA team through like 3 degrees of separation.

Then you gotta think about the arenas that NBA/NHL teams share. This is already a f&cked up issue.

NBA acted quick in their decision apparently, and the NHL is much more of a slow process. I'm sure we get an update today saying all NHL games are suspended moving forward, and we didn't get it last night so they could iron out details. There's no real benefit to the NHL announcing it yesterday vs today.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I was wondering about the revenue as well. Imagine playing games in front of no fans as the Sharks plan on doing right now. That's a lot of revenue gone from concessions alone, let alone ticket sales.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I was wondering about the revenue as well. Imagine playing games in front of no fans as the Sharks plan on doing right now. That's a lot of revenue gone from concessions alone, let alone ticket sales.
    Think about the employees working the concessions. They're screwed. I think Mark Cuban said he was going to put a plan in place for those people, but not every owner/organization can do that.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think it's near certainty the NHL follows exactly with the NBA.
    The two leagues do things in a very similar manner and I believe commissioners meet several times per year.

The key thing, don't know if it's been mentioned, is that several NBA & NHL teams share the same venues.

[Guarantee some statisticians have already been tracking Gobert's locations - and all in contact - to see how that expands beyond the Utah basketball team & opponent locations.]
    [There being no Utah hockey team is one small-benefit for the NHL to play out an extra day or two. If this was Chicago or LA player, NHL would be shut down right now.]
    [Utah has recently played against TOR, DET, BOS, NY, CLE... a few major cities there.]

There are (obviously) an absolute TON of persons in play to be tested for the safety of the leagues.
    Lawsuits relative to a business not taking steps to prevent mass sickness are likely larger than lawsuits for loss of revenue. (and I think the league owners would keep each other in check here)
    NHL will follow suit simply because they are in solidarity/direct-comparison with NBA.
    [The direct comparison would be something a lawyer would (probably) feast on if the two leagues took different directives and one experienced ANYTHING negative that the other did NOT]

The question is whether it is after today or tomorrow games.
    But I'd be willing to say that they won't want the great amount of fans flocking in for weekend games.

Ultimately, I think both seasons (NBA & NHL) will be played out in full.
    The question is whether fans will be permitted back... and that will take 2-4 weeks for the leagues to do their due diligence with their lawyers/advisors.

As it pertains to fantasy hockey - I still expect all 82gp to be played... and a full Stanley Cup.
    It just might all be done without live fans.
    [The silver lining, though, is that I expect it will be televised. The owners will take the largest hit here... and perhaps they all have insurance for "loss of revenue" anyways.]