Thread: Arizona G Situation Next Year?

The Great One

Default Arizona G Situation Next Year?

So Im curious what happens next year?

It feels like Kuemper got handed workhorse status back pretty much uncontested evn though raanta played reasonably well. That combined with with his two year 4.5 million dollar deal likely means there going with him as "the guy". Im stoked with that part of the equation as I acquired him (Kuemper++ for Bishop)- as a 29 year old workhorse on an improving defensive team sounds like gravy covered in cheese and then more gravy. Im a little more murky on the other side though.

When they brought Raanta on board it was as a starter- Chayka went on record that they were confident they had a guy whose underlying numbers left them confident they had a very good NHL starter. So do you pay your backup 4.5? Im not super familiar with their cap situation but I feel like they sepcifically probably could and on top of that keeping a guy who could play 35% of your regular season games is a direction the league is trending in. This would be a death knell for raanta owners and probably for both if its a weekly starts league (like mine :P).

Or is there another option. the thing about trading him next year is that i wonder if his expiring contract will drive his trade value down? Kind of like Lehner on his one year deal- nobody will mind one year at 4.5 but theres no real guarantee he stays even if he has success on a new team? Teams might not pony up assets with that thought lingering. On top opf that he could price himself out if her shines anyways- if he plays well for a season out of the last three how much can you realistically sign him for? Hes also 30 already- even though it feels like hes much younger- so there are a lot of avenues that might incentivize Arizona to keep him and without a starters opportunity he might not get a look at that role on a new contract? Is that too dire?

Im so puzzled by how to value goalies these days- lol! I was watching that TO/TB game last night as I have Andersen and my opponent has Vasievskiy in our money league semi finals. It was a great game and Andersen finally, finally shut the Lightning down but it got me thinking. Were having these debates about top 3-5 in the league now- do you remember when he was on Anaheim?? Lol- we thought hes not even a starter because Gibson was their saviour. the debate was asking if hes even good enough to be a starter anywhere nevermind there- then he signs with Toronto the team does a massive overhaul and this second string B type goalie who lots of owners got basically "for free" in fantasy had a top asset- haha! That just seems to be the way it goes a lot of the time now. Cue the Binnington/Allen stories!!

I feel like Kuemper should be the face of Arizona (if he isnt there already).

I think Raanta could be a 35%er type backup, a workhorse on a average team, shock everyone as a top option (Buffalo anyone??) or coaching little league inside 3 years- its literally bonanzas...

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Arizona G Situation Next Year?

Goaltending is hugely tough to predict. I expect ARZ to roll both Kuemper and Raanta next year, and when they're both healthy Kuemper gets about 70% of the starting share.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

I wouldn't be surprised if Prosvetov starts to really claw away at the starter job next season. One or both will miss significant time next year. He'll get a chance to make inroads
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

At the starter job? I disagree but to each their own- its an intersting take.

I feel like this is Kuempers team but sadly (as a Raanta owner) I think EB is right on both counts. I think he stays and I think Kuemps starts 70%.

Id LOVE Raanta to move but I think having just one more year signed drives down his trade value. I think teams are relying more and more on a dependable backup to eat up games. I think Arizona will be very mindful of injuiries and keeping both provides insurance against that. I think 4.25 and 4.5 is a tad pricy but cheap enough that most teams could make it work. Im not sure Arizona has any pending cap trouble coming down the pipe so I think they specifically can afford it.

Which all adds up to one more year for Raanta in Arizona. At that point he'll be 31 and chomping at the bit to get a real opportunity as a starter. Ithink having recieved tutelage from the King himself (Lundqvist) that Raantas a gamer and wont settle for being a 1B which will elad to agressively pursuing a starters role next off-season even if that means a paycut which could be buried treasure for the team that signs him. His situation is a tad frusterating for owners and has to be exponentially so for him. he hasnt even played that bad- lol! hes ranged from fairly average to downright stellar- lol!

If youre competing next year- grab Kuemper now while theres question marks. hell be the starter/1a on a defensively solid team next year.

if youre two years out (or have bench space)- sign and stash him so you can Annti up for Raanta Roulette in 21/22- lol!

Dobber Sports Jedi

it requires injuries to both... but short/long term I prefer Provetsov to Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    At the starter job? I disagree but to each their own- its an intersting take.

I feel like this is Kuempers team but sadly (as a Raanta owner) I think EB is right on both counts. I think he stays and I think Kuemps starts 70%.

Id LOVE Raanta to move but I think having just one more year signed drives down his trade value. I think teams are relying more and more on a dependable backup to eat up games. I think Arizona will be very mindful of injuiries and keeping both provides insurance against that. I think 4.25 and 4.5 is a tad pricy but cheap enough that most teams could make it work. Im not sure Arizona has any pending cap trouble coming down the pipe so I think they specifically can afford it.

Which all adds up to one more year for Raanta in Arizona. At that point he'll be 31 and chomping at the bit to get a real opportunity as a starter. Ithink having recieved tutelage from the King himself (Lundqvist) that Raantas a gamer and wont settle for being a 1B which will elad to agressively pursuing a starters role next off-season even if that means a paycut which could be buried treasure for the team that signs him. His situation is a tad frusterating for owners and has to be exponentially so for him. he hasnt even played that bad- lol! hes ranged from fairly average to downright stellar- lol!

If youre competing next year- grab Kuemper now while theres question marks. hell be the starter/1a on a defensively solid team next year.

if youre two years out (or have bench space)- sign and stash him so you can Annti up for Raanta Roulette in 21/22- lol!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't see either of these guys being a "workhorse" - they have too many injury problems to be that, plus the league is trending away from workhorse goalies.

I'd put the percentages for next year at 55-40-5 Kuemper, Raanta, Other - with those numbers being very fluid in case of injury. This year is 41/46/13 for Kuemper, Raanta, Hill.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I don't see either of these guys being a "workhorse" - they have too many injury problems to be that, plus the league is trending away from workhorse goalies.

I'd put the percentages for next year at 55-40-5 Kuemper, Raanta, Other - with those numbers being very fluid in case of injury. This year is 41/46/13 for Kuemper, Raanta, Hill.
    Those numbers are my night mare- lol! I could live with a 70/30 split- 50/50 would wreck me in a weekly starts league where I own both- hahaha!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    it requires injuries to both... but short/long term I prefer Provetsov to Hill
    Ok- I hear ya. Im not super familiar with their prospects though- neither guy is really billed as an "imminent" starer are they?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Those numbers are my night mare- lol! I could live with a 70/30 split- 50/50 would wreck me in a weekly starts league where I own both- hahaha!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok- I hear ya. Im not super familiar with their prospects though- neither guy is really billed as an "imminent" starer are they?
    Realize that those percentages will not be as bad as you think in a weekly start league because one or the other will be hurt often enough, that you'll know who to start.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Raanta finally stayed healthy enough to give me some quality starts down the stretch here in a keeper league . If AZ can afford the luxury of keeping both cap hits I'd imagine Kuemper is the cream that rises to the top over 82 games - 52/30 kinda split .

Dobber Sports Ace

An Arizona goalie should be a top 3 option to own in the league, but ugh the injuries. I stay clear of band aid boys and tandems at all costs.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)