Thread: Who should I drop?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Who should I drop?

I'm in the last week of the regular season and should finish fourth in a 12-team league. It's G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits and blocks for players then W, GA, SV and SHO for goalies. The league tends to have about four goalies per team with two starting and most go with four defenceman for the four starting spots.
    In net I've got Fleury, Demko, Varlamov, Jones and Korpisalo. On defence there's Ekblad, Ellis, Pulock, Edler, Pulock and Klefbom. With Klefbom coming off the IR, I need to drop someone. I'm leaning towards either Ekblad since he's not on the PP too much or Jones (who's been playing decent of late).
    Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who should I drop?

Welcome to the forums!

I agree Ekblad and Jones are the two easiest to cut. Who is available on F in the FA pile if you were to drop both Ekblad and Jones?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the welcome!

Goalies are pretty slim pickings since they can get a bunch of points. The top ones on the wire are Ullmark, Greiss, Samsonov and Elliott. There’s always a handful of backups to grab for spot starts.

Forwards are a bit better with Henrique, Eller, Getzlaf and Coyle top on the wire, but I’m pretty set up front.

On defence, the best of the rest on the wire are Chiarot, Chychrun and Schmidt, so it’s really thin. I’m more than happy to go with four dmen, especially since Columbus only has two games next week and Elvis might be back for one of them. It seems like Jones has taken back the top spot in San Jose, for whatever that’s worth the rest of the season.

I just need to drop a guy to get Klefbom back since he'll come back into the top pairing and first PP unit for Edmonton.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ah, I see what happened. You listed Pulock twice in your first post, so I counted 6 Dmen, thinking you could drop a goalie and a Dman and add a forward to go along with activating Klefbom.

I think Jones makes sense as the drop for Klefbom, but I would look at the upcoming schedules to see how often you would be forced to sit Ekblad/Jones, and if it makes a lot more sense to go the other way.
    If there are a lot of missed games for both, maybe look into how Getzlaf would fit in for you up front too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Ha! Yeah, I didn't realize I listed Pulock twice. My bad. I'll go with the "it's my first day" excuse.

I checked out the coming week and there's no conflict, which would've made it a bit easier for making a decision. I'm leaning towards Ekblad, but only because goalies are so key in our league. You drop one and they're practically gone when they get off the wire.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorich View Post
    Ha! Yeah, I didn't realize I listed Pulock twice. My bad. I'll go with the "it's my first day" excuse.

I checked out the coming week and there's no conflict, which would've made it a bit easier for making a decision. I'm leaning towards Ekblad, but only because goalies are so key in our league. You drop one and they're practically gone when they get off the wire.
    That makes sense. You have enough adds to adjust mid-week if necessary too?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Yeah, we've got four adds during the week. My lineup's pretty healthy right now, so I haven't had to use many of late. If I win this week, I should have a somewhat weak opponent to start the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Deity

Welcome to the forums. I'd drop Jones. Theres better G's on the waiver wire.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks! I ended up dropping Ekblad and keeping Jones. A bit of a risk, but I've got eight guys with four games next week and I would've ended up benching Ekblad for one of his three games.

On a sidenote, the guy who had Giordano ended up dropping him since he's only got two games this week, though he's got four games the following week. My first round opponent will be weaker, so I'm thinking of picking him up. Giordano isn't available to pickup until Tuesday, so it gives a bit of time to decide.
    Forwards: MacKinnon, Marchessault, Ehlers, Landeskog, Rakell, Gaudreau, Karlsson, Krejci, Backstrom, Dadanov
    Defence: Klefbom, Ellis, Pulock, Edler
    Goalies: Fleury, Demko, Korpisalo, Jones, Varlamov
    IR: Kadri, Tuch

Player points: G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits, Blocks

Goalie points: W, GA, Saves, SO