Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terry vs Bratt

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Question Terry vs Bratt

Curious on the general pulse out there on these two. I know Dobber isn’t a big fan of Bratt’s but Cam is really high on him.

I’m one of the guys that dropped Terry this year after holding him for the last 2 because I lost faith but now I’ve heard a few different people on here continue to rave about his upside?
    12 Team, Keep 25, H2H: Points Only, +/-, PIM
    C - 4, LW - 4, RW - 4, D - 6, G - 2; Bench - 5, IR - 1, Minor - 3

C - Cirelli, Kuznetsov, Point, Reinhart
    LW - DeBrincat, JT Miller, J. Robertson, Zucker

RW - Farabee, Fiala, Necas, Stone
    D - Bouchard, Dahlin, Fox, Pietrangelo, Sandin, T. Smith
    G - Merzlikins, Samsonov
    BE - Frost, Kyrou

IR: Seguin

Minor: Broberg
    2020 picks: 2, 12, 14

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Terry vs Bratt

Terry >> Bratt long term.

A lot of people cut bait on D. Strome too... he seems to be turning out decently.
    People want quick results when a prospect has high expectations. This is why patience is considered a virtue. Not everyone has it.
    There are so many examples of players that took 2, 3 even 4 years longer to figure it out than originally forecast.

Terry I've always liked as a 60+ upside winger who won't give you periphs - at all (20-30ish) and for 160-180 sog/gm.

If this is for the league in sig... he will definitely make your roster as a bench player when he ripens.
    There's a 4-5 new Terry type prospects a year - guys that come seemingly out of nowhere - Jenik a good example.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

I prefer Bratt because of the team situation. Anaheim is going to take at least one season, probably a few, to rebuild into a worthwhile fantasy option.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Administrator

I'm not a Terry fan myself. Always found him overrated as a prospect. I think their upsides are similar so I'd take Bratt who is already doing good things and just 21.

Also, Bratt has 182 career GP. Something special tends to happen around this time...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Bratt scored tonight so by law this thread must be resurrected every time he scores.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Question Re: Terry vs Bratt

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If this is for the league in sig... he will definitely make your roster as a bench player when he ripens.
    I did pick up Bratt in the league in sig but the team in question is actually below where I still have access to Bratt and Terry if I want to drop someone else at this point. Thoughts?:

C: Backlund, Cirelli, Point, Seguin
    LW: Fiala, Garland, McCann, Miller
    RW: Necas, Reinhart, Thomas, Zucker
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Graves, Sandin, Slavin, Valimaki
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov
    BE: Beauvillier, Farabee, Glass, Frost, Kyrou
    IR: Karlsson
    Minor: Robertson, Bouchard (D), T. Smith (D)

I actually dropped Terry earlier this season for Beauvillier who has since dried right up so he’s probably not making my 25 at this point either.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Bratt scored tonight so by law this thread must be resurrected every time he scores.

G - Merzlikins, Samsonov
    BE - Frost, Kyrou

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'm not a Terry fan myself. Always found him overrated as a prospect. I think their upsides are similar so I'd take Bratt who is already doing good things and just 21.

Also, Bratt has 182 career GP. Something special tends to happen around this time...
    Bratt vs Beauvillier?

G - Merzlikins, Samsonov
    BE - Frost, Kyrou

The Great One

Ill take Terry here. His development is going just fine. Last year Marek and Fiedge said he was the best player in the AHL- not the best rookie, the best player. Just recently they were touting his horn again talking about a new way theyre tracking posession and specifically players who can maintain posession while gaining the opposition blueline (passing or posessing)- and Terry wasnt just pacing the lead he was running away with it. I think this again was the AHL- sorry for the vaguaries here- just trying to apss on what I know. Bratt does seem to be a fairly divisive prospect but I feel like a couple things tip it. One is true upside. I think terrys is decidedly high than the best we canm hope for Bratt- and if youre going to gamble on unproven guy why not shoot for the stars right? Second (lastly- lol :P ) is your format seems to be points only. I recently soured on terry just a bot because both my leagues are multi cat and one especially is very much sog biased. I think terry projects as a low-shooting playmaker type. i think were all hoping that changes as his game matures but thats the trajectroy so far so its a valid concern right now Id say. with Brett the upside is as a goal scorer and all that is inherent with that. Your thinking he generally adds sogs as a cat, maybe even pims/hits battling for those prime sniping spots and of course those all precious GOALS- lol! In a typical league a 25/25 guy generally carries A LOT more weight than a low shooting 10 and 40 guy. I believe his upside might be tyed into the goals, etc he provides that wouldnt impact his points only value. In fact points only absolutely favors a guy like Terry who could have a wonky split but rack up apples and by extension points- like nobodies business.

So yea I think Terry is a good one. I think his development is fine.

I think Bratts upside applies a lot more to multi cat formats

I think Troy Terrys best chance to be a high end asset is in a points only format.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Really appreciate the detailed responses everyone!

G - Merzlikins, Samsonov
    BE - Frost, Kyrou

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 5andagame View Post
    Bratt vs Beauvillier?
    I actually got Bratt++ in a trade for Beauvillier, wasn't looking good for a while, but now I'm pretty stoked :P

I'm a bit biased being a Bratt owner, and being quite happy with his production recently, but I'm also inclined to go with the prospect/player doing things now. As Eric said, he's a ~year younger, and doing more with more opportunity. Their upsides are likely within +/- 5 points or so anyway, so I'll take the guy providing the production now.

Also as Emu said, Bratt is likely more the 25/25 guy, over Terry being the 10/40 guy. I'll always take the goal scorer all else equal.

Also also, for what it's worth, Dobber has Bratt ranked 187th for keepers (36.6), vs Terry at 283 (20.7).
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Sophomore

So here’s a wrinkle: Bratt just got picked up while I’ve been debating this but the guy dropped Mangiapane to do it. I don’t follow a ton of Calgary games but I have enjoyed Backlund’s production on that line with Tkachuk and it seems that Mangiapane is fitting in comfortably there as well.

Thing is I can’t find much out about the kid as far as trajectory and long term potential go so hoping someone more in the know can enlighten me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Similar upside as Terry/Bratt far as I understand, but wasn't expected to get any icetime. Obviously that's out the window playing in the top six and PP2. I'd be happy to grab him, especially if you can use the help now.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 5andagame View Post
    So hereÂ’s a wrinkle: Bratt just got picked up while IÂ’ve been debating this but the guy dropped Mangiapane to do it. I donÂ’t follow a ton of Calgary games but I have enjoyed BacklundÂ’s production on that line with Tkachuk and it seems that Mangiapane is fitting in comfortably there as well.

Thing is I canÂ’t find much out about the kid as far as trajectory and long term potential go so hoping someone more in the know can enlighten me.
    I think in a points only Troy Terrys has the best upside and if youre going to gamble on upside you go witht he guy who can put up 70. theyll all play at the NHL level but terry at least has a reasonable chance to become something more than a complimentary player. Bratt and Magna both showing well but as i stated before I think theyre 50 point players who will contribute more with goal scoring, playing a complete game, and the odd outlier year where they outperform their draft position. I think Terry has a decent shot to fit in anywhere from C2 to W1- and I think in either case youre looking at 60-70 point upside. Sure he could flame out but he was a horse in the AHL and technically the other guys could regress too.

Im playing to format here- if terry ends up as even a 15 goal- 60 point guy hes probably outproducing the others in your format- and of course theres upside from there...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Again, appreciate the breakdowns behind the rankings, I’m kind of a nerd for that kind of stuff. Love to talk me some hockey!

Even funnier wrinkle is the guy I was squaring off with in the loser bracket (where I netted 2nd overall pick for next year!) had some kind of brain malfunction and dropped Palat completely out of the blue......so I cut Beau like bad meat and picked up Palat within 14 minutes of the drop where he instantly became a top 5 F for me.

#winning