Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Big Daddy

Default Re: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

I’d prefer to include the play-in games but the only problem with that is we may see a clear winner of the pool a lot sooner than we’d like if players start getting knocked out early on.

Another way would be to separate the draft. Say we have 20 rounds. The first 8 rounds could be for players from play-in teams only and then the final 12 rounds can be from the 8 teams in the round robin.

Dobber Sports Stud

In. But. Any thoughts of doing the play-in round separately? Then the classic 16-team playoffs? Breaks it up into two contests. In either way.

oh, nvm. Read the rest of the thread after the post. Adequate discussion.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

I kind of like the idea of two separate drafts one for the 16 play in teams and the other for the 8 round robin teams. Dave's idea works though it seems a little deep. Four each from the play in teams is 56 so say 6 rounds for them assuming there's 10 of us, and then four rounds for 40 players from the round robin teams, and then maybe a last two rounds with whoever else you want from the leftovers.

Player pool of 120.
    60+ from the 16 play in teams, 40+ from the 8 round robin teams.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

I just chose simple numbers as an example. My point was to still only have one draft but separate it into 2 for play-in and round robin teams.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I just chose simple numbers as an example. My point was to still only have one draft but separate it into 2 for play-in and round robin teams.
    I like it
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I’d prefer to include the play-in games but the only problem with that is we may see a clear winner of the pool a lot sooner than we’d like if players start getting knocked out early on.

Another way would be to separate the draft. Say we have 20 rounds. The first 8 rounds could be for players from play-in teams only and then the final 12 rounds can be from the 8 teams in the round robin.
    This made me think of another question - If we do include the play-in round... do we also include points in the round robin? I think that would even things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    In. But. Any thoughts of doing the play-in round separately? Then the classic 16-team playoffs? Breaks it up into two contests. In either way.

oh, nvm. Read the rest of the thread after the post. Adequate discussion.
    I am game for either... or having three separate competitions

1) The Play in Round Competition
    2) The Regular Playoff 16 Team Competition
    3) A combined one that includes the play-in and round robin and playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I kind of like the idea of two separate drafts one for the 16 play in teams and the other for the 8 round robin teams. Dave's idea works though it seems a little deep. Four each from the play in teams is 56 so say 6 rounds for them assuming there's 10 of us, and then four rounds for 40 players from the round robin teams, and then maybe a last two rounds with whoever else you want from the leftovers.

Player pool of 120.
    60+ from the 16 play in teams, 40+ from the 8 round robin teams.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    This made me think of another question - If we do include the play-in round... do we also include points in the round robin? I think that would even things out.

I am game for either... or having three separate competitions

1) The Play in Round Competition
    2) The Regular Playoff 16 Team Competition
    3) A combined one that includes the play-in and round robin and playoffs
    That's a fair point. I guess if we do include the play in round, we would need to count the round robin as well.

I like the idea... but I also like the idea of stacking up on one or two teams, like usual playoff drafts.

There is likely three trains of thought:

Teams in the play-in round will have an advantage heading into the final 16 OR they will be at a disadvantage or maybe neither.

I think separating into two drafts and forcing people to take X number from the 16 play-in teams and X number from the 8 teams with a bye takes away the strategy of it.

If I think that the Montreal Canadiens are healthy and are the best team... I may want to draft 14 players from Montreal if I can rather than only being able to take 10 players from Montreal and having to pick 4 players from the 8 teams with a bye.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Wolverine

Might join, if you keep it simple.

Dobber Sports Titan

I like the idea... but I also like the idea of stacking up on one or two teams, like usual playoff drafts.

There is likely three trains of thought:

Teams in the play-in round will have an advantage heading into the final 16 OR they will be at a disadvantage or maybe neither.

I think separating into two drafts and forcing people to take X number from the 16 play-in teams and X number from the 8 teams with a bye takes away the strategy of it.

If I think that the Montreal Canadiens are healthy and are the best team... I may want to draft 14 players from Montreal if I can rather than only being able to take 10 players from Montreal and having to pick 4 players from the 8 teams with a bye.
    Maybe the best way to do it then is just treat it like a 5 round playoff, draft before anything starts, count all the games, and that's it.

Dobber Sports Monster

Yeah I'm in favour of that. One draft, take your chances on play in teams if you want to.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Might join, if you keep it simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Maybe the best way to do it then is just treat it like a 5 round playoff, draft before anything starts, count all the games, and that's it.
    I like this idea and it it keeps it simple!!

I know this is a long time in advance but these are some things I have been thinking about and figured we should consider before we are rushing at the end

1) Including Play-in Games

Pros

- Can do the draft as a slow draft as we know the full player universe
    - More players to choose from (deeper draft more players per team)

Cons

- It is my understanding that the stats for play-in games will not be included in playoff stats
    - Websites likely won't allow for the stats if they are not included in playoff stats
    - Resulting in some extra work for keeping track of stats and won't be as readily available without a quick calculation (which I don't mind doing)

​​

Ohhhhh yeah!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Big Daddy

I’m fine with anything. Keeping it simple and treating it as a 5 round playoff makes the most sense like EB said. But if we are including play-in then you have to include the round robin.

Dobber Sports Monster

I’m fine with anything. Keeping it simple and treating it as a 5 round playoff makes the most sense like EB said. But if we are including play-in then you have to include the round robin.
    Hmm that's a good point. They are not playing elimination games but the games do matter as it determines seedling. So yeah I think they should be included too, otherwise they would have fewer opportunities to get points.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry