Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: 2020 Dobber NHL Playoff Draft - Discussion

I know I’m a new player here, but I wonder if it works to have two 8-people draft, and then score it as a single league?
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I know I’m a new player here, but I wonder if it works to have two 8-people draft, and then score it as a single league?
    New and old, all ideas are welcome

I'm not against it, though maybe just stuck in my ways that I like the full single draft. If others want to do it with two separate drafts though, I'm still just as interested in participating.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    New and old, all ideas are welcome

I'm not against it, though maybe just stuck in my ways that I like the full single draft. If others want to do it with two separate drafts though, I'm still just as interested in participating.
    I also like the idea of one draft. We are almost in the worst case scenario right now....15-16 participants

15-16 participants is almost too much for one draft unless we only draft 8 guys per team. (16 *8 = 128) which is On average 8 players per team in the playoffs. Which I think is a perfect amount. And I am good with drafting only 8 players per team. I know most guys I have drafted with usually like to have at least 10-12 players that they get to draft.

16 resulting in two drafts of 8 participants... then you need to draft almost 16 rounds to make it deep enough to enjoy for a playoff pool. And with the small group each participant picks one of the top teams and loads up on them. 8 different participants have loaded up on 8 different teams and there isn't really a race for the playoff win.

I like it when multiple participants have guys from the same team and it ends up being close in the end. Like last year it came down to the final game of the Stanley Cup to determine a winner between StuntMan and myself. I don't want to know who has won the playoff draft before the finals have even started.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I also like the idea of one draft. We are almost in the worst case scenario right now....15-16 participants

15-16 participants is almost too much for one draft unless we only draft 8 guys per team. (16 *8 = 128) which is On average 8 players per team in the playoffs. Which I think is a perfect amount. And I am good with drafting only 8 players per team. I know most guys I have drafted with usually like to have at least 10-12 players that they get to draft.

16 resulting in two drafts of 8 participants... then you need to draft almost 16 rounds to make it deep enough to enjoy for a playoff pool. And with the small group each participant picks one of the top teams and loads up on them. 8 different participants have loaded up on 8 different teams and there isn't really a race for the playoff win.

I like it when multiple participants have guys from the same team and it ends up being close in the end. Like last year it came down to the final game of the Stanley Cup to determine a winner between StuntMan and myself. I don't want to know who has won the playoff draft before the finals have even started.
    Does anyone have any problems with going 16 participants for only 8 rounds? If we do not find any more competitors.?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

I have no objections.

Rumor has it we'll have plenty of time to work out the details

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

I like the earlier idea of splitting it up for the draft, and then combining it after.

So for instance, two groups of eight. Each group does a draft. After the draft, all the teams are entered in the same pool. So guys like Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, etc. will wind up on two teams, but from different groups.

Personally, I like drafts that give you a few more players. I'll take more of a chance on a sleeper pick if it's one player out of 12, as opposed to one player out of eight.

On the other bright side, axeman might be able to join now, with all the news going on about the delay of the season.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...s-stars-streak

The Hockey News is doing a night by night tracking of the remainder of the season.

Is there anyone that subscribes and knows if they are tracking players points?

If they do this for the playoffs (which I assume they will) - Is there a way we could piggy back off of this and do our Playoff draft off of the Hockey News Playoffs?

Administrator

If they make stats public we can import them in Frozen Tools and track Draisaitl Hat Tricks

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Any interest in here in doing a draft scudding all players in the history of the game?

Ever wanted to be able to draft Wayne Gretzky in a fantasy draft and were never able to... here is your chance!

​​

I know this is a long time in advance but these are some things I have been thinking about and figured we should consider before we are rushing at the end

1) Including Play-in Games

Pros

- Can do the draft as a slow draft as we know the full player universe
    - More players to choose from (deeper draft more players per team)
    Cons

- It is my understanding that the stats for play-in games will not be included in playoff stats
    - Websites likely won't allow for the stats if they are not included in playoff stats
    - Resulting in some extra work for keeping track of stats and won't be as readily available without a quick calculation (which I don't mind doing)

2. When do we Draft

- This is largely dependent on if we decide to include Play-In games or not.
    - If we include play-in games we could start 7-10 days before the Play-In games start and have lots of time to get it done
    - If we don't include play-in games then the window for drafting will likely be shorter as I am guessing the turnaround between play-in and playoff games will be 1-2 days (similar to between Rounds in playoffs)

3. How do we treat players eliminated in Play-in Round

If we decide to not include the Play-In Round and start the draft before the play-in round is done we will have to decide how to deal with players eliminated in the play-in round:

i) We could do it similar to how we have done it in passed years - when a player is officially not making the playoffs the person that drafted them gets to pick another available player.

ii) We could change it up a bit - when you decide to pick a player from a play-in match you get to pick two players from that match. One from each team, so that you will have one player that advances to the playoffs and the other gets eliminated. (Example. You decide you want to pick Crosby cause you think Pittsburgh will advance. But knowing that they have to 'play-in' and could be eliminated you also get to pick one player from Montreal and decide to pick Montreal Goalies) Thus you get either Crosby or Montreal goalies in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think we keep it as simple as possible and don't double down on the other side of the play in round. One player per pick and if they're out they're out.

I'm fine doing selections to include the play in round or not. Might be more fun to do it with for a change. Everyone is in the same boat.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

I think we keep it as simple as possible and don't double down on the other side of the play in round. One player per pick and if they're out they're out.

I'm fine doing selections to include the play in round or not. Might be more fun to do it with for a change. Everyone is in the same boat.
    If we just do the final 16 teams, then you prefer doing it similarly to previous years? If you pick a player that ends up getting eliminated before playoffs start you get to replace that player with someone else?

In previous years we have started the slow draft prior to the end of the season. So someone could have picked a top player from a borderline team. Then when that team gets eliminated they were allowed to pick someone new to replace that pick.

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I think it would be best/easiest just to include the play-in games as part of the playoff pool, and if you pick guys from those teams and they're eliminated then you're out of luck.
    However, if we don't do it that way, then I vote for not counting the play in games, and as you said, replacing an eliminated player with someone else on a depth chart.

Dobber Sports Monster

I think it would be best/easiest just to include the play-in games as part of the playoff pool, and if you pick guys from those teams and they're eliminated then you're out of luck.
    However, if we don't do it that way, then I vote for not counting the play in games, and as you said, replacing an eliminated player with someone else on a depth chart.
    I agree with this. We could also just increase the number of players we drafted so there is less of a chance someone gets royally screwed over though. But am generally open to anything new really and any new changes won't change my status on joining

Dobber Sports Monster

Wow I totally forgot this thread existed. Geez that feels like a lifetime ago

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry