Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nick Suzuki

The Great One

Default Nick Suzuki

So Im doing a deep dive on a few players and I figured Id share my results as the emu gentleman that I am!

- So first off- I always worry when a prospect is lauded for their "playmaking" ability. Its a great tool to have so why would I be nervous? I think its because to me it implies a couple things- that they might not shoot enough to be relvant in most formats (all my leagues seem to weight sogs quite a bit), but also because in order for those types of players you need to be paired with talented linemates so they can read the play and know where to bem, and have the finishing power to bury the biscuit when you get there. With Suzuki that doesnt seem to be an issue- at least not one that isnt correctable. First off hes played up and down the lineup and scored with whoerve he played with. When he was moved up to a line withtatr things really seemed to click. It seems teams hav already noticed his tendency to pass but according to several amateur/armchair scouting site he is the owner of a "laser" wrist shot that actually can beat goalies clean form the hashmarks. In theory ustilizing that more would keep the oppsition honest and open up more scoring options. I would like to think this could be "first year" thing and with a player with that level of hockey IQ I imagine its only a short time before thats corrected and we all win!!

- I posted something in another thread how some bloggers didnt think he passed the "eye test" in terms of working hard enough, that his effort level was inconsistent. My gut feeling at the time was that players with such a hockey IQ sometimes look like that because theyre where they need to be evn beofre the play has taken shape- so what might look like a lack of effort is just the fact they dont have to hustle as hard because their read of the play gave them two or three steps ahead of everyone else. Apparently advanced stats back this up. In a piece for THN Ryan Kennedy wrote this: "Suzuki was the best possession forward in the entire draft class – better than Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier by a mile."

- His success on the powerplay had been incredible. In fact many Habs fans say he has transformed the whole way they run their top unit- in that they run everything through Suzuki on the half wall ala Marner/Wheeler. While that is music to poolies ears there is also an inherent concern attached that they are or may become overly reliant on a powerplay the administering of which can be fickle at the best of times. In an optimistic turn the numbers show thats not the case at this point in that his pace is for 17 ppp out of the 50 points hes on track for. Thats not a bad split and still leaves him room to grow as well. He has said in interviews that he moulds his game after Patrice Bergeron- a statement his coach has echoed-which should ensure his overall icetime is healthy and who knows- we may even see him on the penalty kill for chinks this season!

- Im not sure this is great for fantasy- lol- but apparently he was the recipient of the William Hanley award which is the OHLs version of the Lady Bing trophy two years in a row. Usually pims are a bonus in fantasy but at least it helps his ttoi as he wont be wasting time in the box.

I think we have a guy whose hockey IQ has fast tracked his development and were watching him erupt right in fron of our eyes. If you give this guy any time or space in the offensive zone he WILL make you pay. He has become the Canadiens whole powerplay a change that has rocketed them up the charts in terms of powerplay potency. There was a need and he quietly stepped in and filled it. I think by next year he is their topline center, a fixture on pp1, and might be the incentive Julien needs to start implementing a more conventional allotment of icetimes whereby Suzukis line starts to see a bit more time than the others. Dont get me wrong Danault/Gallagher is the basis of a defensively responsible scoring line with a lot of upside for production but Suzuki has shown how dangerous he can be with a catch and release sniper like tatar (doubly so if he starts using that laser beam of his a bit more often!). That to me is a 65-70 point 1a/1b type of center- even with somehwat limited ttoi compared to other topline players- rosterable in almost all formats. After that a little bit of optimism is required. He'd need a better alottment of time, and we can see he may have some intriguing offensive players to develop alongside as well (Goal Caufield anyone??)- but the potential to take another meaningful step forward in production is definitely there. Im happy to acquire him as a 65-75 point player whose got a decent chance of finding a superstar down the line. My advice: Buy!!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Nick Suzuki

Suzuki runs that PP unit like Marner did for the Leafs last season. He reminds me of Marner.
    Coming off the strong side, reading the D very well - look for the lane across, or a tip/rebound down low, or straight shot if it's available, or back to the point if they've covered everything.

Smart and poised young man. I' m a big Suzuki fan.

(Before the critics pile on, yes, I know Marner isn't on his PP strong side anymore but he was last year).

The Great One

Ive always been a huge fan ever since his junior days

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-Suzuki-thread

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree, since your points are pretty much a resume of what's been said here : https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...on-Nick-Suzuki
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Monster

He was dropped in my league. I'm not going to put in a claim but Ill be snapping him up if he clears for sure. Marner style player? Yes please!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I traded him in my league.. Regretting it now!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    I agree, since your points are pretty much a resume of what's been said here : https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...on-Nick-Suzuki
    fair enough but itsw kind of funny considering that thread created in December is basically rehashing this thread which was started in November: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-Suzuki-thread as Mr. Guru had already kindly pointed out.

Anyways just adding to the conversation- I had some time to kill and did very deep dives on two new prospects I acquired (Glass and Suzuki)- so I thought I had enough material for a separate thread.

Anyways I love this kid and got to see him play this week- jebus is he noticable out there! Every second word out of the announcers mouth seemed to be suzuki. The puck seems to be drawn to him magnetically especially on the PP. i think this is a juicy one on the line here!!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I traded him in my league.. Regretting it now!!

in my rebuild league i traded him for branstrom, not sure now if i made a right decision....time will tell
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    in my rebuild league i traded him for branstrom, not sure now if i made a right decision....time will tell
    Time will tell but Im a Brannstrom fan too- thats a tough one...

The Great One

I just feel like Suzuki is going to end up being a pillar that catches offguard and may not be the BEST player in th game but a fantasy staple that were building around. Im going to say Johhny Gudreau-lite- the lite assuming Johnny Hockey playing like he does in his prime (85+), and Im only saying that because Julien rolls his lines in a very specific way that doesn give etra opportunities to the top forwards...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    You count pim and in a crappy twist hes a perennial Lady Bing candidate (the junior version of it- he won it two consecutive years.

The Great One

He was also voted by his peers as the hardest player to play against in his last junior said.

Cole Perfetti: "He could just take over games whenever he wanted"

My thread has that barely qualifying, unsourced, unchecked tidbit as well!! So there you have it!

Dobber Sports Genius

I wouldn’t worry about Julien holding him back in his prime. Coaches don’t usually last that long.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    fair enough but itsw kind of funny considering that thread created in December is basically rehashing this thread which was started in November: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...-Suzuki-thread as Mr. Guru had already kindly pointed out.

Anyways just adding to the conversation- I had some time to kill and did very deep dives on two new prospects I acquired (Glass and Suzuki)- so I thought I had enough material for a separate thread.

Anyways I love this kid and got to see him play this week- jebus is he noticable out there! Every second word out of the announcers mouth seemed to be suzuki. The puck seems to be drawn to him magnetically especially on the PP. i think this is a juicy one on the line here!!
    I also created that thread 2 years before lol