Thread: Kessel and/or Drouin worth keeping?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Kessel and/or Drouin worth keeping?

I am currently last, no chance on PO. But in our league, we have lottery for TOP 3 draft picks. Each of the last three teams in the standings gets one ball + one ball goes to the consolation PO winner. If team from the last three places wins the consolation PO, he basically gets 2 out of 4. And that is what I want to achieve. Doubled chance to land Lafreniere.

H2H - 12 teams - 23 roster spots (keep 12)
    League scoring: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK and GWG; For goalies: W, L, GA, SV, SV% and SO
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 6BN

These two guys are not contributing at all. They have no trade value and I am no longer sure if they are keeper material, even on my currently horrible team.
    I have sticked to them until now, but I am starting to think about dropping them and running streamers during the consolation PO.
    Notable FA wingers
    - Bratt, Garland, Bailey, Granlund, Gusev, Nichushkin (HIT), Stephenson (C/LW/RW), Nyquist, Nino and any random player producing FW and HIT with W eligibility.

Drouin is my long term project and he actually looked good until his injury. But since he came back, he looks like the odd one in MTL TOP9. Playing under 15 min and no longer getting that much PP exposure. Is it time to let him go or should I give him one more year? (again...)
    Kessel - I expected regress, but not this much. Is he really irrelevant now or can he bounce back next season? Similar TOI like Drouin and similar PP exposure. The thing is, they do not contribute peripherals at all, further diminishing their value.

Rest of my team along with few notes to potential keepers:
    Elvis, Ullmark (IR), Smith, Hutton

Provorov, DeAngelo, OEL, Gustafsson, D. Toews, McNabb, Brodin

Barkov, Aho, Toews, Cirelli, Olofsson, Kreider, Palmieri, Hyman, Toffoli, Kessel, Drouin, Pearson (trying to claim AA from waivers instead), Laughton (streamer spot)
    Necas, Glass and Hayton as prospects, all three eligible as prospects for next season as well. I will have one more prospect slot next season. I can add and drop them freely.

I want to keep 2 goalies, Elvis for sure, Ullmark if no other option presents. 3 defensemen - DeAngelo, Provorov and I think even OEL is a lock.
    And finally 7 forwards - Barkov, Aho, Toews, Olofsson, Palmieri and Kreider currently look like a lock. Is Kessel or Drouin worth the last spot? Or should I just trade for a decent winger during the offseason with one of the picks I aquired? There usually are 2-3 interesting names from stacked teams available for a cheap price. Or are Kessel/Drouin upgrade over Palmieri or Kreider. While they are not stars, they provide nice bonus in peripherals. Or maybe I will trade Toews for a winger. I really lack productive wingers when compared to other teams. Btw, my other keeper winger was Skinner, dropped him week ago.

So many questions, also it turned into a text wall somehow. Thanks for reading and any advice.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Kessel and/or Drouin worth keeping?

I'm in a similar league and I would drop Kessel for Granlund, Nino, and Gusev.

I'd probably keep Drouin given the FA options.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Kessel is done as a major fantasy asset, and should not be kept. I'd drop him for most of the names you listed, for the ones I'm sure of, and the others I'd expect to be better than him.

Drouin has always been overhyped, and somehow still is, but you may have enough room to keep him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thank you both. I think it is time to say goodbye to Phil then.