Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Extended] Chris Kreider staying in NY

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: [Extended] Chris Kreider staying in NY

In an ideal world (for the Rangers) this was a 5 year contract, 6 max. That said its a reasonable cap hit, he should age gracefully for half of it, which I suppose is a win, and he's there for them to push for playoff contention next year which was important.

And $6.5 a year? Thats a steal. He would have gotten 7.5+ as a UFA easily.

Over the past five years the salary cap went up 25%. So looking ahead five years to a 34 year old Kreider going into the season with two years left on his contract, his 6.5M cap hit is comparable to 5.2M in today's cap dollars. Not great, but not the worst contract to have on the books. Package him up with some young prospect and a draft pick and ship him out to a rebuilding team...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

No idea why you don't trade him for a bunch of assets and give him this contract this summer. It's not like that deal is a discount.

Oh right NHL teams are uncreative and dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    No idea why you don't trade him for a bunch of assets and give him this contract this summer. It's not like that deal is a discount.

Oh right NHL teams are uncreative and dumb.
    You don't think someone throws stupid money ($7+) at him in a free agent bidding war this Summer? Jeff Skinner got $9M from a desperate Buffalo squad, someone out there would drive up the costs immensely. Hell, let's look at last year's UFA winger signing on comparable contracts.

Mats Zuccarello $6M; Nyquist $5.5; Anders Lee $7M.

Lets look at 2018:

JVR $7M;James Neal $5.75.

In an ideal world the Rangers package him for prospects and resign him for the same money later. It almost never (has it ever?) works that way. This isn't PlayStation. I'd love it if the market was there for a top flight prospect and 1st rounder with the expectation that the team could resign him later and do nothing but profit but, respectfully, that's a fantasy.

Dobber Sports Titan

Making a mistake to block another team from making a worse mistake is a mistake.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Making a mistake to block another team from making a worse mistake is a mistake.
    Right now I have to look at this and think the trade market for him was softer than expected. There has to be a reason all of the "runner-up" options (Zucker, Coleman, Toffoli, Simmonds) moved quickly and at good returns. Either Gorton overplayed his hand or he didn't see teams coming up to an acceptable level as the deadline approached and focused on signing him instead.

I hate the term and think the money is where it should be. Not loving the deadline results for this team right now so I'm going to go with your assessment

Dobber Sports Giant

id rather it be 5 years but that's a good deal imo. hed of foot much more from other teams.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    You don't think someone throws stupid money ($7+) at him in a free agent bidding war this Summer? Jeff Skinner got $9M from a desperate Buffalo squad, someone out there would drive up the costs immensely. Hell, let's look at last year's UFA winger signing on comparable contracts.

Mats Zuccarello $6M; Nyquist $5.5; Anders Lee $7M.

Lets look at 2018:

JVR $7M;James Neal $5.75.

In an ideal world the Rangers package him for prospects and resign him for the same money later. It almost never (has it ever?) works that way. This isn't PlayStation. I'd love it if the market was there for a top flight prospect and 1st rounder with the expectation that the team could resign him later and do nothing but profit but, respectfully, that's a fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Right now I have to look at this and think the trade market for him was softer than expected. There has to be a reason all of the "runner-up" options (Zucker, Coleman, Toffoli, Simmonds) moved quickly and at good returns. Either Gorton overplayed his hand or he didn't see teams coming up to an acceptable level as the deadline approached and focused on signing him instead.

I hate the term and think the money is where it should be. Not loving the deadline results for this team right now so I'm going to go with your assessment
    If he signed this contract now he would sign it two months from now. But no, I don't think a team would offer significantly more than 7 years at $6.75MM on July 1.

Dobber Sports Genius

Nope. Do not like. [see: 2016 NHL UFA SIGNINGS]
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

it's a matter of vet presence for the kids and the team that young overall he at 28 is the grey beard. I do not like the signing as he has been wildly inconsistent his whole career until now when he needs to get paid alas what can I do. At least getting a first for Skjei nets them what I was hoping for at the deadline.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports All-Star

Now that Kreider has been paid he will fade off into mediocrity again. The Rangers should have traded him while he was a sell high. Not a good move at all in my opinion.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen