Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 DobberBaseball League

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: 2020 DobberBaseball League

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I vote adding 8 more bench spots so that we can continue to draft for another week and keep us all from going crazy!
    Haha this makes the most sense.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety Punks View Post
    While i get your reasoning, I am unclear how an advantage would be had. The player pool isnt well stocked and with MLB frozen no news will be out in order to sway people. Im just saying it would be nice to have something sports related to do .
    For example. Player X injured in non official training session (since I assume they will still be training on their own). Team picks up Player X replacement.

Simple as that. It's easier to just not allow moves until we know more.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Begun Season so you can view your team but have locked everyone from Add/Drops until we have a timeline.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Begun Season so you can view your team but have locked everyone from Add/Drops until we have a timeline.
    Just checking that the players should be put back on waivers for when we open it back up again? That's the fairest way to do it, as is standard post-draft.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just checking that the players should be put back on waivers for when we open it back up again? That's the fairest way to do it, as is standard post-draft.
    I agree...and I think there is a way to do that.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Prelude - I have considered not drafting SP in this league for a couple drafts and I always go into the draft thinking that I will… but then I get scared and end up taking on in round 4 or 5… Let’s see if I can stick to my guns this year and fill out majority of my bats and RPs before starting to draft Starters.

Round 1 –
    My Pick - Cody Bellinger (1B, OF) – Well I did not like my draft slot. I feel there was a clear top tier made up of three players. So I had to choose from my 2nd tier. I decided to go with Bellinger because he is young and has that dual eligibility that will help me out as the draft goes on.
    Best Pick – Well its hard to pick a favourite in the first young… my vote (out of jealousy) has to go to Acuna at #3 overall.

Round 2
    My Pick - Rafael Devers (3B ) – It was tempting to take Freeman here but I didn’t want to give up the flexibility that I decided on with picking Bellinger in the first round. And I own Freeman in my Dynasty League and I like to diversify from my dynasty players.
    Best Pick – Again at this stage there is no surprises and everyone is where they should be.

Round 3

My Pick – Jose Altuve – At this point I feel fully committed to the zero SP strategy and see lots of available OF that I like. So I grab what I expect to be the top 2B this year.
    Best Pick – Hard to argue against Freeman getting selected in the 3rd round!

Round 4

My Pick – Charlie Blackmon – I have a few OF in mind for this pick but I go with old reliable in Blackmon. Tracking my stats I realize I have a lot of guys that are run producers but have now drafted to players in a row that don’t produces as much RBIs.
    Best Pick – Machado – I really like the idea of a big bounce-back and he was a first rounder in drafts last year. Players who change cities sometimes take some time to adapt… he has adapted and look out!

Round 5

My Pick – Starling Marte – I decided I better get some Stolen Bases production and Marte was an OF I considered the round before. He adds Stolen Bases without giving up to much production across the board.
    Best Pick - Bryant – I really like the dual eligibility from the former first round pick… I am starting to think I live in the passed and like everyone that has a big year. But I think Bryant can produce above a 5th round pick.

Summary – After 5 rounds I have filled my 1B, 2B, 3B and 2 OF slots. I am happy with the batting roster and it is always around this time that I start second guessing whether I should draft Starting Pitchers or not. Let’s see if I can avoid Starters….

Round 6

My Pick – Eloy Jimenez – Swing for the fences here. Hoping for some big RBI and HR production from the young phenom?
    Best Pick - A lot of good pitchers going this round. I really like the Giolito and Snell picks in this round.

Round 7

My Pick – J.T. Realmuto – Never have I ever drafted a catcher this early. But I figured with my zero SP strategy I needed to make sure I had the top options at as many other positions as I could. Now I have the top 1B, top 2B and top C… where do I go next?
    Best Pick - Eddie Rosario – I contemplated taking Rosario in Round 6… so for him to be available a round later shows bad judgement on my part OR a good pick in round 7.

Round 8

My Pick – Josh Hader – I got excited that I had drafted the top player at a few positions and after drafting 8 batters… I felt like it might be a good time to change focus and draft the top RP.
    Best Pick – G Stanton – If he is healthy this is a league winning pick!

Round 9

My Pick – Aroldis Chapman – For my strategy to work out I got to make sure I have a good set of Relievers so I went with another one here. Probably should have picked another bat… but after selecting Hader I felt I needed to support that part of the strategy as well.
    Best Pick

Round 10.

My Pick – Carlos Correa – There was a few SS left that I was happy with for the last few rounds. So I figured I would finally pick one and round out my infield. Correa can be a top SS if he can stay healthy. So I will take the chance in round 10.
    Best Pick – Luis Robert – Some upside here that I think is worth a great shot at this point.

Summary – I have not filled my 5 infield slots and have 3 OF and 2 RP. At this point I am 100% committed to the zero SP strategy… so we will have to find out how it works out.

- - - Updated - - -

Round 11

My Pick - Michael Brantely – I wish I could have this one back. I went for the batting average when I probably didn’t need to. Not a sexy pick and will not do anything to help me win the league. He however shouldn’t be the reason I lose either as he seems to be ‘Mr. Boring’ when it comes to fantasy.
    Best Pick – Zach Wheeler

Round 12

My Pick - Brad Hand – Now I have 3 of the top 6 relivers… hopefully this strategy works.
    Best Pick - Andrew Benintendi – I think I picked him in the 4th round last year…

Round 13

My Pick – Taylor Rogers – Okay I may have overspent on Relief Pitchers….this is my 4th on and usually I only have 1 by round 13.
    Best Pick – Nothing sticks out to be in unlucky 13.

Round 14

My Pick- Rhys Hoskins – Adding some RBI and HRs hopefully from a bounce back Phillies Team
    Best Pick – Max Fried – I was eying him up to be my first Starting Pitcher… guess not!

Round 15

My Pick – Kyle Hendricks – Definitely not a sexy ‘Ace’ but he is competing for opening day start and he provides good peripherals and that’s what I need for this strategy!
    Best Pick – I really like the bookends to this round. I think Urquidy could break out and be a big winner this year, and Neris could be up there in total saves as I expect the Phillies to be much better.

Summary - After 15 rounds I have 10 batters, 4 relief pitchers and only 1 starter. I officially drank the Kool-Aid. And I was nervous as hockeyrobot, Axeman33 and horrorfan all eluded to strategies that might have been similar.

Round 16

My Pick – Shohei Ohtani (Pitcher) - He is not starting until Middle of May… well who knows when now with the COVID19, but when I drafted him I knew I could keep him on bench cause I am not looking to maximize starts… just minimize peripherals.. and hopefully that’s the kind of stats he brings when he is back pitching,
    Best Pick – Corey Seager – If I would have known Seager was going to be available 6 rounds after Correa, I would have waited longer to take my SS.

Round 17

My Pick – Sean Manaea – Another boring starting pitcher… but boring is what I want!
    Best Pick – A round full of pitchers, I think I have to pick Paxton as the winner of the bunch.. probably cause he plays for the Yankees.

Round 18

My Pick – Craig Kimbrel – A year of injuries… can he bounce back to being a top 10 reliever?
    Best Pick – Bryon Buxton – The upside is there if he is healthy!

Round 19

My Pick – Mike Minor – Just looking for decent peripheral stats.
    Best Pick – Wilson Contreras – great value for the catcher position. I spent my 7th round pick on a catcher.

Round 20

My Pick - Yonny Chirinos – I didn’t like this pick. I wish I had it back.
    Best Pick- Jo Adell – If he can play this year he could be ROY.

Round 21 –
    My pick - Shohei Ohtani (Batter) Might as well have him fully committed to my team. And with my strategy I can afford to have an extra bat on my bench to fill in. His per game stats are great… but if he pitches his full season stats are not the best.
    Best Pick – Dylan Bundy
    Round 22

My pick – Jon Gray – I can pick and choose when to start him.
    Best Pick – Garrett Hampson – Steals baby!

Round 23

My pick – Jorge Polanco – a bench bat that covers categories and can fill in if Correa is injured
    Best Pick – Aaron Civale – Supposedly a lot like Hendricks on a team that should win.

Round 24

My Pick – Nick Senzel – Hoping for breakout and to get some steals.
    Best pick – Throw a dart

Round 25

My Pick – Scott Oberg – One last RP so I can have 6 RPs playing every day.
    Best Pick – I really like the additions of Alex Wood and Steven Matz in this round. Both decent pitchers on teams that should get a fair amount of wins.

Summary – So I changed things up significantly this year. I usually never have any batters on my bench… usually it is filled with Starting Pitchers. This year I have two batters on my bench. And usually I am all about maximizing starts and getting as many Ks and Wins as possible and hope the peripherals fall into a decent range. I feel like I got super lucky with the Shohei Ohtani (Pitcher) pick as he is considered on the IL in Yahoo Fantasy. I thought that the Pitcher version would just be a bench hog until he actually pitched… so that will allow for some flexibility going forward. Wish I could say I planned that… but I never. So let’s patiently wait until the season starts and see how this strategy plays out!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I got 2 "best picks" of the round!

Snell and Stanton.

My team:
    C: Smith
    1B: Olson
    2B: Biggio (OF)
    3b: Guerrero
    SS: Turner
    OF: Betts, Stanton, Robles, Upton, BN: Alvarez, Myers (1B)
    Util: Chapman (3B), Andujar (Util)

SP: Flaherty, Snell, Soroka, Foltynewicz, Ryu, Pearson, Lamet, Tanaka
    RP: Urias (SP), Yarbrough (SP), May (SP)

What I like about my team...
    Steals - Projected for 116. Turner, Betts, Robles, and hopefully Biggio leading the way
    SP - Potential booms. Didn't buy Flaherty at a discount, but Snell, Soroka, and maybe Ryu at a discount
    OF - Stanton, Betts, and Alvarez potentially strong. But big red flags

What I don't like...
    RP - Punted saves
    2B - Biggio is REALLY unproven
    3B - Banking on Guerrero
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I got 2 "best picks" of the round!

I usually clarify that the 'best picks' are solely a personal opinion!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

I got four "best picks"

I'll get to doing this for my team at some point next week.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Thank you for including my picks in the later rounds of your "best picks" haha.

Love these. Will do mine tonight while I work and watch zero sports.

Dobber Sports Immortal

In the past I definitely been very hitter friendly because I find even though there are only a few truly elite pitchers per season, predicting them is almost a total crap shoot. But once again this year I fell into the trap of going for some SPs when maybe I should have waited hitter, especially in our format. I did know that I wanted to wait on Catcher unless JTR fell reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally late. So I at least stuck to that. I also wanted to put a premium on position eligibility. Last year I didn't have much and it was a nightmare because even my UTIL guys could only be moved to one spot.

1. Mike Trout - LAA OF
    I was assuming Trout would go 1 and I was ready to take Yelich #2 because I'm pretty sure he's been the #1 hitter when he's played the last two years. Either way couldn't really go wrong here. Never owned Trout so very happy and just hope he stays healthy.

2. Walker Buehler - LAD SP
    Buehler was the last SP in my top tier so I grabbed him assuming Ninety Punks would take a SP. With Wins as a category he should be truly elite.

3. Freddie Freeman - ATL 1B
    Hard to pass up some the steals here but he's the best player at the shallowest real position (not including C haha). Making this pick made me happier I didn't take Acuna just because I like to differentiate a bit.

4. Chris Sale - BOS SP
    Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggh. This was so incredibly painful to experience. Within 25 minutes of picking we heard he had triceps issues. And for me it was between him and Corbin so seeing him go next was tough.

5. Ketel Marte - ARI 2B/SS/OF
    The first of my 2019 breakout studs. It was down to one of the Martes for me but couldn't pass up his 5 tool potential. Really hoping it wasn't a one year fluke.

6. Aaron Nola - PHI SP
    In no way shape or form did I want to take a now injured Sale and then Blake Snell. But it would have been close if he had fallen to me. Glad he didn't. This was an adjustment pick since the Sale injury happened I wanted to make sure I had another elite one, and still seeing Ninety Punks had no SP I took Nola.

7. Whit Merrifield - KC 2B/OF
    I don't love this pick here because we just have no idea if he'll run. If he does this is great. If not, hopefully he is near the top in ABs and Runs again. Considered JT but thought he'd make it back.

8. DJ LeMahieu - NYY 1B/2B/3B
    #2 2019 breakout stud. Basically say the same thing as Ketel. Position eligibility is great and the Yankees' constant injuries should keep him as an every day guy.

9. Joey Gallo - Tex OF
    Wanted either Olson, Cruz, Soler or Gallo. So I took the last one and filled in another OF spot. With Trout, Freeman, Marte, DJ and Whit, I was ok taking this BA liability haha.

10. Marcus Semien - OAK SS
    #3 of my 2019 breakouts. I was ready to take my second 1B in Josh Bell but EB grabbed him right before. Also had Soroka, Robert and Correa on my radar but I had considered him when I took DJ and was shocked he was still here. It was between him and McNeil (NP grabbed next).

11. Corey Kluber - TEX SP
    Was starting to fill in my lineup and couldn't pass on the potential.

12. Kenley Jansen - LAD RP
    Needed one at this point and again he was the highest on my list. Going with the Dodger potential. Also did this with the hopes of grabbing Treinen later on in case there is a meltdown.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd we're back.

13. Carlos Santana - CLE 1B
    Wanted Danny Santana with a later pick but not surprised he went here. I remember last year I took Profar for his multi eligibility pretty early and it was a disaster. Almost went Grandal because couldn't believe he was still around but opted to hold out on C and go with another 1B for my Util. Hopefully still a beast since it's OPS. But....Im now realizing I have once again fallen into the trap of taking older guys who fall to me. Just like last year with Votto and some others I can't remember.

14. Max Fried - ATL SP
    Given what I just said, I needed a young arm to make myself feel better. I had Luzardo and Urias ahead of Fried, but now I am pretty happy to get the one I think will pitch more innings than those two.

15. Tommy Edman - STL 2B/3B/OF
    Missed out on too many Util guys to let him fall. Hoping he makes the roster and continues his hitting and running.

16. Will Smith - ATL RP
    Gah. Don't love this one but hoping he just dominates and takes over the closer role for an elite team. Didn't love any of the other closers so just went with it. Was lining up Seager but once again EB grabbed him. Probably for the best since I already have Freeman/Santana at only 1B and Semien at only SS.

17. James Paxton - NYY SP
    Hoping for good things here since he was supposed to be back in May. But I always do this and it never really works out haha. Im sure he'll have setbacks and then suck and then get re-injured. Or with this postponing he'll be ready for Opening Day haha

18. Gavin Lux - LAD 2B
    Upside pick. Tatis and Alonso did it last year. Hoping it's Lux's turn.

19. Wilison Contreas - CHC C
    He was my #4 catcher so I couldn't wait any longer. As I said on the board he is as consistent as you can get.

20. Jo Adell - LAA OF
    Filling my NA slot.

21. Sean Doolittle - WAS RP
    Injury prone and should have went Colome instead of Adell but oh well. More upside on a good team. I wanted Hudson later but someone snagged him.

22. Garrett Hampson - COL 2B/SS/OF
    Again with some upside and position eligibility mixed with tons of speed. Hoping he or Edman are a staple all season. Really wanted Solak but if Hampson makes the team I will just start him at home so I can't complain.

23. Mitch Keller - PIT SP
    Upside SP. Terrible last year but hoping potential comes through.

24. Blake Treinen - LAD RP
    Got my handcuff. I hope at least. Should hopefully be a great 1-2 punch with us having SV+HLD.

25. Shogo Akiyama - CIN OF
    Sorry EB. Again with upside. But I fell for in the past with Winker and wasted a month waiting for him so we will see.

All in all pretty happy with how it turned out.

Dobber Sports Deity

Love the analysis. Keep them coming. I'll sit down on Monday when I've got more time and do one up for my roster.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

So many value changes with this delay. Stanton. Snell. Paxton. Judge.

Dobber Sports Titan

Round 1:
    Pick #5 – Mookie Betts (OF)
    Pretty simple. After the top 4 went, Betts was prolly the last “don’t overthink this” pick.

Round 2:
    Pick #16 – Trea Turner (SS)
    If someone was to drop, it was Turner. He’s that perennial “this is his yr” guy. However, I picked him and with Mookie and Turner, I don’t have to worry about stolen bases.

Round 3:
    Pick #25 – Jack Flaherty (SP)
    I was pretty happy getting my ace with pick 25 and it was the a top young guy. He was ridiculous last half of the yr in 2019. The expectation is he’ll log innings, solid ERA, and Ks. Happy I got him

Round 4:
    Pick #36 – Yordan Alvarez (OF)
    I was happy I got him. Big power bat and a full yr coming up. But the fact he has bad knees already, makes me worrisome of this pick.

Round 5:
    Pick #45 – Vladimir Guerrero (3B)
    Idea was to pair Alvarez and Guerrero to have 2 big power bats. Starting to work on my infield at this pick. Personally the guys who went after VG, didn’t fit my plan so I have no regrets with this pick. Also made watching the Jays more fun.

Round 6:
    Pick #56 – Blake Snell (SP)
    The news of Sale and Snell hadn’t come out yet, but we knew there was questions with health. I took a chance at pick 56 for a potential top 5 arm. Risk/Reward pick.

Round 7:
    Pick #65 – Matt Olson (1B)
    Think he was ridiculous last yr when he was healthy. However, he wasn’t healthy.

Round 8:
    Pick #76 – Giancarlo Stanton (OF)
    Work stoppage could make this pick the best pick I’ve ever made.

Round 9:
    Pick #85 – Victor Robles (OF)
    Hoping for that Soto explosion. But if I just get good stats out of him I’m happy.

Round 10:
    Pick #96 – Mike Soroka (SP)
    Rounding out my starting pitching. Lots of potential in my staff, but Soroka seems to be that nice safe floor guy to help round out your staff.

Round 11:
    Pick #105 – Matt Chapman (3B)
    Picked to use as my util and if Vlad bums out again. Having 2 A’s wasn’t ideal, not really the team I like to load up with but whatever. Him as my backup 3B is a solid safety net.

Round 12:
    Pick #116 – Hyun-Jin Ryu (SP)
    He had a solid ST game I think which influenced my pick here. But I was thinking, “Hey, nice to have Ryu. He’ll be a crowd fave and I’ll enjoy watching him pitch”

Round 13:
    Pick #125 – Lance Lynn (SP)
    Here I leaned heavy into having no RPs. Took the high K guy in Lynn. Prolly end up being a FA 2 months into the season tho.

QUICK RECAP:
    - Urias, Yarbrough, and May were picked as starters with RP status.
    - Pearson and Biggio round out my “hey, it’s the Jays” thoughts
    - Tanaka, Foltyz, Andujar, Upton, and Lamet were all large reward guys. High ceiling in my eyes.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll