Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 35 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 55 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 DobberBaseball League

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2020 DobberBaseball League

Might as well give a quick recap:

Firstly, given it's a 6x5 category split, and one of those pitching categories is for relievers only, my strategy was to focus more on hitting early. Didn't want to leave SP too late, and for relievers get high K guys who should (hope to) have good ratios with saves and/or holds. My comments are focused on my thought process at the time, rather than the current situation.

1. (8) Trevor Story (Col - SS) - power and steals - yes please

2. (13) José Ramírez (Cle - 3B) - power and steals again - yes please

3. (28) Fernando Tatis Jr. (SD - SS) - already have a SS but with two Util slots he could have similar production to my first two picks

4. (33) Gleyber Torres (NYY - 2B,SS) - will see if last year's breakout was for real (not buying into Baltimore bias yet) and gives me a top 2B

5. (48) Mike Clevinger (Cle - SP) - might as well get a SP and even being hurt I felt like I could survive in the early going.

6. (53) Max Muncy (LAD - 1B,2B,3B) - not sure if a bit early for a pure power bat but his positional eligibility gave him the edge over others I considered

7. (68) José Berríos (Min - SP) - hoping he'll jump up a level but if worst case is the same as last year I'll be happy.

8. (73) Jorge Soler (KC - OF) - another power bat to anchor my OF

9. (88) Tommy Pham (SD - OF) - some power and steals - hopefully he can stay healthy most of the year

10. (93) Michael Conforto (NYM - OF) - injury issues shortly after drafting but thought he could give me good power and maybe a few steals

11. (108) Carlos Carrasco (Cle - SP,RP) - a bit of risk/reward here given his health issues. like Clevinger hoping for improvement as season progresses

12. (113) Liam Hendriks (Oak - RP) - time for my first RP and thought he should be a safe/high end option. We'll see.

13. (128) Yasmani Grandal (CWS - C,1B) - normally wouldn't go for catcher this early but nobody else jumped out to choose here and thought if he improves he could give Sanchez-like numbers with a better average.

14. (133) Nick Anderson (TB - RP) - not sure if too early but high K guy who should be Tampa's top option for saves. But as long as high leverage it was worth a shot here.

15. (148) Carlos Martínez (StL - RP) - seemed to taking risks at SP but figure he'll get a good crack at sticking in the rotation and hopefully get back to solid production. Worst case - closer?

16. (153) Robbie Ray (Ari - SP) - high K guy that I hope bounces back to a reasonable level.

17. (168) José Leclerc (Tex - SP,RP) - bit of a risk after last year's inconsistencies but worth a shot to hold onto the closer's role. And SP eligibility is a bonus.

18. (173) Yasiel Puig (Cle - OF) - NA slot, why not at this stage?

19. (188) Edwin Encarnación (CWS - 1B) - a strong power guy this late? I still have a Util slot to fill so why not?

20. (193) Drew Pomeranz (SD - SP,RP) - high K, potentially high leverage so should get some holds. And SP eligibility.

21. (208) Dylan Bundy (LAA - SP) - low risk, breakout potential

22. (213) Brandon Lowe (TB - 1B,2B,OF) - positional flexibility

23. (228) David Peralta (Ari - OF) - With Puig not on a team yet and Conforto's injury, needed another OF just in case.

24. (233) Rafael Montero (Tex - RP) - Leclerc's handcuff

25. (248) Joe Musgrove (Pit - SP) - given earlier SP risks/injury situations this could be a short-term fill in or a breakout waiting to happen

Team in full:

C: Grandal (1)
    1B: Muncy (2,3)
    2B: Torres (S)
    3B: Ramirez
    SS: Story
    OF: Soler, Pham, Conforto, Lowe (1,2), Peralta
    SP: Clevinger, Berrios, Carrasco(RP), Martinez(RP), Ray, Bundy, Musgrove
    RP: Hendriks, Anderson, Leclerc(SP), Pomeranz(SP), Montero
    NA: Puig

Dobber Sports Titan

1.3 - Was really expecting Acuna and Yelich to go 1/2, so I had Bellinger lined up for pick 3 (I was picking him over Yelich too). Yes I was letting Trout slip. I find he gets hurt too much, I'm not big enough on the Angels, and I liked the same stats from 1B rather than the OF which I would get from Bellinger.
    Saw Acuna slip, and changed my mind as I thought his upside was higher. Who knows.

2.18 - I saw Scherzer and Buehler falling, and wanted one of them. They both ended up getting to me, so I went with the proven arm in Scherzer.

3.23 - I wanted an IF and I'm still not sold on this pick, but Rendon seemed like the best guy on the board.

4.38 - I'm okay with stacking Braves, and got a young 2B who can hit in Albies.

5.43 - Got my second OF (and backup third base) in a guy who could end up being second round value. The risk reward value for Bryant was too good here.

6.58 - I'm not enamored with the Bichette pick here, but it was a fun one to have one of the high end Blue Jays, and filled a position need for me. Obviously if I knew I was going to be getting Seager so late I might have picked someone else here. Alas, earwax.

7.63 - Needed another SP, and Thor was the best on the board.

8.78 - Generally happy with my position guys so far, though I was hoping to fill 1B earlier, so I started grabbing a few SP. Bauer was next.

9.83 - Frankie Montas. Bit of a riskier pick, but I like the upside he has. That A's rotation is going to be the best one in baseball this year.

10.98 - Didn't think I could leave Bell any longer and had been sitting on him for a few rounds now. The IF is complete.

11.103 - Sonny Grey. Not big on this, but he seemed like the best SP left on the board, and you can never have too many SP in this league.

12.118 - Filling out my 3rd OF slot with Max Kepler whose bat I really like, and I think he's set up for another step forward. Actually I know nothing, but I'm hoping!

13.123 - Grabbed my third 3B with Justin Turner, but I just couldn't pass him up there. First UTIL spot filled.

14.138 - Bryan Reynolds. I know zero things about this guy except Yahoo had him projected as the best OF left by a mile. What do I have to lose?

15.143 - Grabbed my first RP, because most of everything else was covered. Diaz seemed like the best on the board. Just targeting the most H+S with my relievers as their K and average numbers can fluctuate so much.

16.158 - Did not expect Seager to make it back here, and I couldn't pass him up at that point. He was my last bat in my lineup (aside from C which I wasn't sure I was going to bother filling in the draft).

17.163 - Zack Britton. More holds!

18.178 - Guy I have waiting on a healthy season from for forever: Lance McCullers Jr. I think I take him every year.

19.183 - Adam Ottavino. Might as well have half of the Yankees' bullpen.

20.198 - Hansel Robles. Saves?

21.203 - Tyler Duffey. I liked his last name...

22.218 - Brendan McKay. Why not grab a high risk/reward SP

23.223 - Danny Jansen. If I'm going to draft a C, might as well be a Blue Jay showing some pop.

24.238 - Ian Kennedy. Wanted one more RP.

25.243 - Steven Matz. Whatever, last round, he'll last me a few weeks anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Final Lineup:

..........Reynolds Acuna
    Bryant ......................Kepler

..........Bichette Albies …………………….. DH: Seager
    ...Rendon ............….Bell .......................Turner
    ...............Scherzer
    ................Jansen

SP: Thor, Grey, Montas, Bauer, McCullers Jr., Matz, McKay
    RP: Diaz, Britton, Ottavino, Robles, Kennedy
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Deity

Now that I have a bit of time, lets take a look at how my draft went through my eyes. I was drafting 9th out of 10 teams so I basically had B2B picks, only I had one guy picking two in front of my 2nd pick. Most times it wasnt an issue but there was a couple times I got sniped on a guy I wanted from Jx3H, who was picking 10th overall. I had a pre-ranked list that I did my best to stick to and tried not to reach out of position need, especially early on.

1st round - Francisco Lindor. I had Lindor ranked 6th overall in my early draft rankings so I was happy to get him 9th overall. Wasnt really looking to get a SS this early on, but IMO, he was the top ranked SS to own.

2nd round - Alex Bregman. Here's one of the times I got sniped. I really wanted Juan Soto and he went in one of the B2B picks in front of me. i didnt want to go infield/infield with my first two picks, but thats how my list rolled. I actually had Jose Ramirez ranked next, but I didnt want to go with B2B Cleveland Indians with my first two picks so the next guy on the list was Bregman.

3rd round - Pete Alonso. Once again, next on my list was another infielder. I dont know if I had Alonso ranked higher than others, but he was next. He was in my top 20 so this was a great spot for me to get him. I was hoping to get at least one of the high end SP's with this pick, but a lot of them went really early (my opinion) compared to batters and from what I could see from my list, the next SP was quite far down my rankings so I stuck with my list.

4th round - Aaron Judge. Well, it wasn't another infielder at this point. Seriously though, I would say I like Judge more than others and there was no way he was getting back to me again in another 20 picks. His injury could be the reason he came to me here for all I know. Either way, I'll take him to help me win a few weeks and I'll have to adjust for the weeks we all know he'll get hurt.

5th round Luis Castillo. Finally on the board with my first SP and was quite happy to get Castillo here. I had him in my top 50 so to get him at the end of the 5th round was solid value in my eyes. To me, I just got a top 10 pitcher and didn't have to reach for him early on.

6th round Lucas Giolito. See Castillo for a similar writeup. I had Castillo and Giolito one after the other in my rankings. When I read this about Giolito, I was happy to get him at this point.
    Giolito has the 2nd lowest contact made on pitches in the zone. Only one better is Cole.
    I'll take that.

7th round Jonathan Villar. The guy I really wanted in this round was JT Realmuto but we went a few picks before I could get him. I wont lie, I am not sure how to feel about this pick. First off, I hate drafting 2B this early as it normally is one of the deeper positions to draft. Secondly, he's coming off a career year and now in Miami, where he will surely see a decline in those numbers. The only thing that made me feel a little better is reading that the Marlins are looking at using Villar in CF. I also could really use some speed guys for stolen bases, and Villar certainly fits the bill there. Hopefully he gets OF designation early on and I have a nice multi-position player I can move around my lineup when needed.

8th round Gary Sanchez. I will be 100% honest and say this was my first real reach. I didnt have Sanchez next on my list, but after missing out on Realmuto last round, I was determined to grab one of the few quality hitting catchers. It wasn't a big reach but I strayed off my list. I think I had Sanchez something like 6 or 7 spots down my list at this point, so it wasn't too far off. He sucks for batting average but man he hits some bombs. Arguably the 2nd best Catcher to own.

9th round Ramon Laureano. I feel I got a bit of a sleeper in Laureano at this point. Not sure how many had him on their radar but I had him ranked higher than A LOT of other OFs who went before Laureano. I was really happy to snag him with this pick.

10th round Roberto Osuna. Relief pitchers were hard to guage as far as where to rank them when I was doing up a list. That being said, I did have Osuna as my 3rd best RP on my list, behind Hader and Yates. I started ranking them all after 90th overall so I wasnt too far off as far as where they started going.

11th round Eduardo Rodriguez. I dont think Boston is going to be as bad as many think and with Chris Sale's injury info, I bumped Rodriguez up my list a bit. Finding a SP who should get me 200+K's and 200+IP at this point, and is currently this teams top arm was too good to turn down.

12th round Andrew Benintendi. Benintendi really fell in this years draft because he had a crap year last year. His average dropped and his strikeouts went crazy. That being said, he's still young and I am hoping for a bounceback. If all goes well, I'll get 15-20HRs 75-90RBIs and somewhere close to 20SB from him.

13th round Oscar Mercado. Another guy I've read nothing but good things about heading into this season. Tons of speed so SBs should be plentiful, and the chance to find some pop in his bat. Everywhere I have read about this guy says "sleeper". I actually had him in my top 100 but kept passing on him for a couple rounds, hoping no one else was paying any attention to him. Looks like it paid off. I wasnt willing to wait any longer. Another guy I'm hoping for a 20-20 season from.

14th round Raisel Iglesias When I saw his name come up on my list next, I really wasnt too excited because I am not sure how much I trust him. Going 3-12 last year as a reliever doesnt instill confidence, but he did have 34saves last year too. I am hoping Cincy is an improved team and Iggy doesn't keep giving away wins.

15th round Scott Kingery. Really happy to get Kingery here, especially having to wait 20 picks since my last pick. It was at this point in the draft I really started focusing less on following a list and more on filling holes. Kingery fills A LOT of holes considering all the positions he is listed for. If Villar does get OF eligibility like I expect, Kingery is a nice addition to the 2B spot for me. Another solid candidate for a 20-20 season. I really wanted Biggio in this round, but Kingery will work too.

16th round Brandon Workman. I dont know if Workman is the closer in Boston or not, but worse case scenario, he's the setup guy so Im getting either saves or holds here. I really needed to start focusing on my pitfching going forward as I had a lot of holes to fill there.

17th round Marcus Stroman I reached a bit here only because I like Stroman and I think the Mets are going to be a good team this year. That and most of the other SPs I saw available weren't really considered much better or worse. I missed out on the other Blue Jays who I felt were even worth drafting, so this was a close 2nd there.

18th round JD Davis Another multiposition guy who offers a backup option for 3B and OF. He's also another guy I am reading about thats labeled as a possible sleeper for this year. Meh, at this point, I'll gamble on anyone. LOL!

19th round Jake Odorizzi I have been passing on Odorizzi for a few rounds now, and clearly so has everyone else. At this point in the draft, I couldnt pass anymore and I still needed SP options. Odorizzi was the best I could find at this point.

20th round Ryan McMahon Chaulk up another multi-position guy with good pop in his bat. He's versatile and that's desirable at this point for me.

21st round Joc Pederson To be honest, I had Pederson ranked a lot higher than this but injury concerns kept me away from him. It got to the point where I couldnt look past him anymore. Ya, he's a 0.250 hitter but he still had 36 HRs last year. Getting someone with that type of pop this late in the draft is something I just couldnt pass up anymore. Even if he gets half that amount this year(which I think he'll get more than half), he's still a bargain at this point.

22nd round Mark Melancon Not really a big Melancon fan, but he's still the expected closer on a very good Braves team. If he loses that spot, I'll drop him for holds.

23rd round Aaron Civale I wont lie and say I know much about him. I googled "sleeper picks" and his name kept popping up and at this point, everyone seemed to be reaching for home run picks. Evertying I read about him sounds promising so hopefully this is the best sleeper pick I made from all the other sleeper picks I made earlier on LOL!

24th round Austin Hays Another "sleeper pick" from the lists I had in front of me. It was down to Hays or Grisham and seeing as Grisham went right before my pick, it made this one easy. Another guy with 20-20 potential on a crappy team, so the opportunities will be there for him.

25th round Christian Vazquez As I type this, I am just starting to realize how many damn BoSox I drafted. Geez. I really dont like the idea of owning a backup catcher, but knowing Sanchez and his injury past, I didnt think it was a bad idea at this point.

My final roster:

C: Gary Sanchez
    1B: Pete Alonso
    2B: Jonathan Villar
    SS: Franciso Lindor
    3B: Alex Bregman

OF: Aaron Judge, Ramon Laureano, Oscar Mercado, Andrew Benintendi, JD Davis

UTL: Scott Kingery, Ryan McMahon

BN: Joc Pederson, Austin Hays, Christian Vazquez

SP:Lucas Giolito, Luis Castillo
    RP: Roberto Osuna, Raisel Iglesias
    P: Eduardo Rodriguez, Brandon Workman, Marcus Stroman, Mark Melancon

Bn: Jake Odorizzi, Aaron Civale

I took some flyers on some kids and some sleepers so god knows how well this team will perform. I dont own big name SP so I am hoping the guys I drafted will perform to their expectations. I've got lots of power and speed but the pitching will make or break my season. Thats my take on my roster.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Sale is throwing. Best news I've gotten in weeks.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tempted to share with you all my best of the rest ...but then again there would go my backups hahaha hmmmmm still tempted if anyone else is game for doing the same/ comparing notes (the vampire league concept would have been fun )

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick060283 View Post
    Tempted to share with you all my best of the rest ...but then again there would go my backups hahaha hmmmmm still tempted if anyone else is game for doing the same/ comparing notes (the vampire league concept would have been fun )
    I am definitely suggesting it for a NFL pool on here.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Sale is throwing. Best news I've gotten in weeks.
    TJS!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dobber Sports Deity

He done. Well, for this year anyway.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He done. Well, for this year anyway.
    The way the world is going, he might only really miss 1 start.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The way the world is going, he might only really miss 1 start.
    Haha very true.

Dobber Sports Titan

Syndergaard to get TJS. Torn UCL, so it's not a maybe, it's a "he's getting it"

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Syndergaard to get TJS. Torn UCL, so it's not a maybe, it's a "he's getting it"
    You have to wonder how many SPs may just opt for it given the uncertain state of the league this year.

Dobber Sports Titan

Well, that's one SP down for me.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    You have to wonder how many SPs may just opt for it given the uncertain state of the league this year.
    Ya I'm starting to wonder this. If I see anymore major surgeries, I'm going to assume teams know something we don't with the start date.