Thread: Why is Fantasy Deadline before Actual Deadline?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Why is Fantasy Deadline before Actual Deadline?

I play in an ESPN league. Just wondering if there's some kind of reasoning that I'm not aware of for the fantasy deadline being today when the real deadline is Monday? That makes no sense to me at all. The fantasy deadline should be the day after the actual deadline so everyone knows who is where.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Why is Fantasy Deadline before Actual Deadline?

When does your playoffs start? It's probably so the deadline isnt right before the fantasy playoffs kick off to make it more like the NHL where theres a gap between the deadline and round 1. In custom private leagues that date should be movable.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Playoffs start 3/9.

Thanks for info. I may start my own league next year and make sure that setting is after the actual deadline.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Initiate

It's really just a date. Fantasy playoffs are before real NHL playoffs. That's probably the primary reason.
    In a 10 league where we start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 3 players (1 G max), are allowed a max of 2 keeps for each player. The number in brackets is the number of keeps I have left:

G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPG, PPA and Shots.
    C - Larkin, Couturier, Kopitar, Cirelli
    LW - OV, Panarin (1), Schenn (C), Ehlers (RW), Kreider
    RW - Kucherov (0), Seguin (C), Palmieri, Voracek, Yamamoto
    D - Yandle, DeAngelo

W, GAA, SV% and Saves.
    G - Rask, Varlamov, Hart, Mrazek
    IR+ - Tarasenko

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    When does your playoffs start? It's probably so the deadline isnt right before the fantasy playoffs kick off to make it more like the NHL where theres a gap between the deadline and round 1. In custom private leagues that date should be movable.
    Yep. To all of this.

Just bring it up to the commish and have a vote to change it next year.