Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me please, unfair trade in my league

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Help me please, unfair trade in my league

My league is a keeper money league and the commissioner, who is 16-2 and in first place just traded with a team at the bottom.

Commissioner got Kucherov and Bergeron

For Rust and Getzlaf.

There was a ton of backlash but he won’t give in and let the trade go through.

This was his reasoning :

So I made a trade. A blockbuster one.

And just remember it's a keeper league, not real life. SenkMyBattlship realizes this and knows the keeper rules. So I'll explain it before I announce it.

Brian Rust has been the 4th best fantasy RW all season long. His price tag to keep us a 17th rounder which might be the best value in the entire setup.

Brian Rust 19-20 stats

44 games
    23 G - 25 A - 48 P
    82 games pace
    42 G - 46 A - 88 P

The next guy I'm trading away is Ryan Getzlaf. He's the 77th ranked player overall this year. His keeper value is a 13th rounder which could be up to pick 183. Def good value for Getzlaf.

So the trade is Rust and Getzlaf for Bergeron and Kucherov. I'm involved in this trade so if anybody has any disagreements with it, then let me know. But it's definitely a fair trade based off of all the things you have to take into account here. Let me know your thoughts if you have any objections. Just keep it respectful.

—end—

This trade is nonsense and is unfair.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Help me please, unfair trade in my league

Welcome to the forums!

What are the settings and what are the keeper rules?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your league is rotten to the core if the rest of the owners are not speaking up about this.
    This trade clearly does not pass the reasonableness test and considering a commissioner is one of the parties involved, the league itself is on the verge of crumbling.

Dobber Sports Star

The argument laid out by the commissioner is wonderfully bad. No discussion of Kucherov or Bergeron at all; the trade could be for the resurrection rights to Gordie Howe and Toe Blake and the commissioner's argument wouldn't be any different. No discussion of age, despite trumpeting that it is a keeper. No discussion of Rust's production prior to this year.

If this goes on without complaint, except by you, then it is time to look elsewhere for a league, if you can.

Dobber Sports Veteran

League setting would help, then Ill run it through FHG and see if he is BS or not.

However, its probably as stated by the previous posts - a bad deal led by the corrupt commissioner likely colluding with the OGM for some other transaction. Is it a money league?

Dobber Sports Recruit

It is a money league I’m trying to get the league rules right now

- - - Updated - - -

Keeper rules (reminder for trade deadline)
    Tony (Crysby Tears &#128546
    3 days ago
    Keeper player costs:

*To keep a player you must give up a draft pick. Which round that pick is depends on where that player was drafted the previous year. The cost of keeping a player will be a draft pick a round higher than he was drafted in. So for example: Let's say Matt Duchene gets drafted in the 7th round this year and you want to keep him. You would have to forfeit your 6th round pick in order to keep him. If you want to keep him the following year, it would cost a 5th rounder.

* You can only keep the same player two times.

*You can also only keep ONE player that was drafted in the top 28 (the first two rounds). And you can only keep a first or second round pick for one year. If you picked a player in the 3rd round and want to keep him, you'd obviously have to give up a 2nd round pick to keep him and a 1st round pick to keep him the following year. Once you keep a player for a first round "penalty" you cannot keep him again.

* You cannot keep a player that has played less than 20 NHL games. For example; you cannot add Byram from Colorado off of waivers at the end of the season and keep him next year. Or an easier example for Flyers fans; you couldn't add Cam York at the end of the year in hopes that he makes the team next year. Even if a team like Montreal calls up Cole Caufield at the end of the season and he plays the last couple of games, he cannot be kept For next year because he hasn't played enough games to be kept.

Dobber Sports Star

Can Kucherov and/or Bergeron be kept by the Commissioner? If so, at what cost? That will affect the analysis of the trade. If both Kucherov and Bergeron can't be kept this summer, and Rust and Getzlaf can, that could shift the balance.

Dobber Sports Recruit

In my mind you’re justifying tactical player dumping for someone who’s already in first place

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm out. Too complicated. If the last place team cant keep those guys then why not trade them for something? Where/when were they drafted and how are the rules applied when player are traded to a new team? Does the first place team get the pick penalty if he does/can keep them? Scoring categories hardly seem to matter right now which is a shame.

rant:
    I get why these rules are there but I personally wouldn't call this a keeper league, I'd call it an unnecessary mess.

The fact that its a money league and the Commish is completely dominating and trade raping (on the outside anyway) then Id get out. He says its a keeper league and not real life but guess what the money is real. His response is completely one sided in his favour - not at all unbiased like a Commish should be. The league is outraged and should be, they should all leave. Screw him, he has no interest in the health or duration of the league, only his wallet and ego.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Screw him, he has no interest in the health or duration of the league, only his wallet and ego.
    Hear, hear! I enjoyed the reasoning for why Rust and Getzlaf were worthy additions but total silence on Kuch and Bergeron. This guy is a sham. Seduced by money and winning to the point of not seeing objectively.

The person who made the deal with the commish should be panned as hard as the commish himself. Equal culpability.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Titan

There's not one party at fault here, but the bottom line is yes it's a bad trade, but not "completely unfair". If those are the league rules, then moving keeper eligible guys for reinforcements for a single year should be commonplace. It's partially the fault of the bottom GM for not doing a better job of advertising Kuch/Bergeron for a better return, but also the fault of the rest of the league for not inquiring.
    On the flip side, a commissioner who comes out with that kind of justification in a money league knows he's doing something wrong but wants to be paid for it anyways. He should be held accountable in some way or another.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First, an assumption that Kucherov went in round 1 or 2. If he didn't, it's a terrible trade. Given that, I'm leaning towards "This trade is not unfair." I expect to get roasted for this, but I really don't care.

If Bergeron was drafted in the top 2 rounds, and is not keepable, I'm going to say that it's completely fair. Rust has great value as a keeper. Getzlaf has value, but I'm not a huge fan. I might even do that exact trade if I was a bottom feeder team in your league, although I'd shop Kucherov & Bergeron hard first. While you'd think it would be a bad trade, you might be wrong.

If enough people complain, one thing that could be done is force everyone else in the league to make the guy trading Kucherov & Bergeron an offer within 48 hours.

I do think the commissioner should've laid out the scenario better, including covering Bergeron & Kucherov not being keepable.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Terrible trade and not fair not matter what he says...he knows this thats why he explained it ahead of time.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First, an assumption that Kucherov went in round 1 or 2. If he didn't, it's a terrible trade. Given that, I'm leaning towards "This trade is not unfair." I expect to get roasted for this, but I really don't care.

If Bergeron was drafted in the top 2 rounds, and is not keepable, I'm going to say that it's completely fair. Rust has great value as a keeper. Getzlaf has value, but I'm not a huge fan. I might even do that exact trade if I was a bottom feeder team in your league, although I'd shop Kucherov & Bergeron hard first. While you'd think it would be a bad trade, you might be wrong.

If enough people complain, one thing that could be done is force everyone else in the league to make the guy trading Kucherov & Bergeron an offer within 48 hours.

I do think the commissioner should've laid out the scenario better, including covering Bergeron & Kucherov not being keepable.

Agree with a lot of this.

In leagues where keepers cost the draft round they were previously drafted in and with limited contract terms the higher up players were drafted can lead to some weird trades as bottom teams try to extract some value from players they can't keep any more.

I recently gave up this season and traded Ovie and Wheeler for pick upgrades next year. I couldn't keep Ovie after this season and Wheeler wasn't living up to his 2nd round value. I shopped them (and J. Carlson) to everyone in a playoff position and got less than I hoped, but better than nothing. I actually got no counter offers for Carlson.

However I also think that if the Kuch/Berg owner wasn't shopping these guys hard to every other GM and only got a "good keeper value" Rust in return (Getz isn't really valuable as a keeper is he?) then it's definitely suspicious and I'd like to hear his thinking.

Personally, I'd be looking for a different league just based on the complicated keeper rules described.
    12 Team H2H, keep up to 4 with max total contract years <=10. Keepers replace the draft round in which they were originally selected.

3C, 3R, 3L, 4D, 2G, 6Bench
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK, FW,
    W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

C: Karlsson, Trochek, Haula (C/LW)
    LW: Guentzel (LW/RW), Connor, Vrana, Teravainen (LW/RW), Forsberg,
    RW: Konecny, Gallagher (R13), Voracek, Toffoli (LW/RW), Namestnikov (LW/RW)
    D: Carlson, Graves, DeAngelo, Werenski, Myers
    G: Andersen (R3), Samsonov, Merzlikins

* Andersen (R3) is signed for 2 more years, Gallagher (R13) signed for 1 more year. Carlson is termed out, can't keep.

The Great One

You've joined the forums to rant about a terrible trade in your league?