Thread: Trade Options for my team that's out of contention? Trading Carlson?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trade Options for my team that's out of contention? Trading Carlson?

dynasty points only league (details in signature) - everyone is tripping over themselves to acquire John Carlson from me. Two offers on the table:

My Carlson and Ovechkin for his Rantanen, Werenski, Galchenyuk, Toffoli and 1st round pick

or

My Carlson and Yandle for his Giroux, Theodore, Giordano, Parayko and 1st round pick

Do I accept offer 1 or offer 2 or neither?

Thanks to many years at the top of the standings, my prospect pipeline is non-existent and I dont have much depth - especially on defense. My team is old, but I have the stars to contend again next year if I stand pat. The first deal in particular is intriguing in the sense that it will net me two high end young guys for my roster and the second offer seems to address my need to build blue line depth while keeping me in/near contention

I'd love dobber nation's help on this one
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Trade Options for my team that's out of contention? Trading Carlson?

Generally I don't like either deal. Galchenyuk and Toffoli don't move the needle at all in the first deal, while getting Giroux as the main piece in the second deal just exacerbates your issue (unless you can flip him for more).

What is the value of those firsts?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trade Options for my team that's out of contention? Trading Carlson?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Generally I don't like either deal. Galchenyuk and Toffoli don't move the needle at all in the first deal, while getting Giroux as the main piece in the second deal just exacerbates your issue (unless you can flip him for more).

What is the value of those firsts?
    Not a lot... its full dynasty and those picks will be near the end of the first round 10-14 overall... I'm in agreement that neither of these offers really thrills me, but want to make sure I am not passing up any opportunity to a) sell high where possible and b) start to get younger without "rebuilding" - I'd rather stay in contention every year while slowly flipping old for young when possible
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by pensfan View Post
    Not a lot... its full dynasty and those picks will be near the end of the first round 10-14 overall... I'm in agreement that neither of these offers really thrills me, but want to make sure I am not passing up any opportunity to a) sell high where possible and b) start to get younger without "rebuilding" - I'd rather stay in contention every year while slowly flipping old for young when possible
    I'm definitely on board with the philosophy, but I don't think these are the best ways to do it. The secondary guys you're getting back are the guys who have overrated name value, or are just unwanted.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Not against moving those two guys (I just moved Carlson in a massive package to get McDavid), but those two returns are NOT enough. Gotta shop them around more, or just keep them. What you've already got is great.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pensfan View Post
    My Carlson and Ovechkin for his Rantanen, Werenski, Galchenyuk, Toffoli and 1st round pick
    Carlson and Ovechkin for Rantanen and __________ gets my attention. I want something better than 'Werenski, Galchenyuk, Toffoli and 1st round pick'. What else to they have?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Carlson and Ovechkin for Rantanen and __________ gets my attention. I want something better than 'Werenski, Galchenyuk, Toffoli and 1st round pick'. What else to they have?
    I'd second this with a change to "Carlson and Ovechkin for Rantanen, Werenski, and __________ gets my attention. I want something better than 'Galchenyuk, Toffoli and 1st round pick'."

The first rounder is fine as a piece, but I'd want something more than Galchenyuk for sure. Toffoli is an okay depth piece, I'd guess.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'd second this with a change to "Carlson and Ovechkin for Rantanen, Werenski, and __________ gets my attention. I want something better than 'Galchenyuk, Toffoli and 1st round pick'."
    Yup! Make that ___________ a star player and I'd have to listen.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"