Thread: Deadline day tomorrow! What do I do? (REP)

Dobber Sports Ace

Question Deadline day tomorrow! What do I do? (REP)

Hey gang - I'm wondering how best to handle the team in my signature (team 1). It's deadline day tomorrow, and I'm hoping to hang on to #1 spot for the prize payout, while also setting myself up for the best long-term success.

*NOTE* My league pays the majority of prize money to the H2H regular season winner. My goal is to claim that prize (currently in #1 spot with a 14-point lead), but H2H playoffs are such a crapshoot and we have such a low amount of prize money for the H2H playoffs I don't really care about that. I'd rather set myself up best for long-term success.

I'm not sure who my most likely keepers are yet, but I'd really like to ship out Giroux for picks so I can get a little younger. Tentatively I think my ideal keepers would be Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stone, DeAngelo, Kuemper. Giroux is the odd man out.

I'm also going to try to bundle Malkin or Crosby with Giroux and Jarry to try to get somebody like Draisaitl, Kucherov, etc, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thoughts? What do you do to this squad if you're me?

Thanks in advance. I'll gladly rep all responses.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Deadline day tomorrow! What do I do? (REP)

One, I would not plan to keep a goalie (unless it's Jarry). They're too volatile.
    Sell high on Rust if you can, I like moving Giroux, and see if you can get a defenceman.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

The first thing I do with this team is go out and win the regular season. That means you can't blow up that team that has you in first. I agree that moving on from Giroux is a good move and perhaps a package with him for a younger asset is an option. I don't like your chances of moving Malkin or Sid with something else for one of the younger superstars but it can't hurt to try. But if I'm you, I'm looking for a smaller type of move based on what I need this year to win. The best advice I can give is to make sure you don't try and juggle to many balls at the same time and end up screwing yourself. One step at a time. Win the league, and then go from there.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    One, I would not plan to keep a goalie (unless it's Jarry). They're too volatile.
    Sell high on Rust if you can, I like moving Giroux, and see if you can get a defenceman.
    Thanks for the input!

I actually goofed up my signature, but just fixed it. I traded away Karlsson but forgot to add my replacement - Severson. I could use a blueline upgrade though. I'm going to shop around.

I like the idea of selling high on Rust, but at the same time I might be inclined to keep the guy if it looks like he's a lock for that lineup spot next year.

I also agree about goalies being volatile - I actually took that approach last year and didn't keep any goaltenders or draft any early. Ended up in great shape with Kuemper/Mrazek early, then nabbed Jarry quick once he got going. Given Kuemper's play again this year I'm really tempted to keep him though.

I'll see what I can do!

Dobber Sports Ace

*UPDATE* I was just offered Kakko, Gibson, and a 9th (third round essentially, 1-6 are keepers), for my Giroux, Jarry, and 17th. I’m tempted to take that deal, and immediately try to sell both pieces for modest picks. It frees up roster room for Kuemper and a streamer spot.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    *UPDATE* I was just offered Kakko, Gibson, and a 9th (third round essentially, 1-6 are keepers), for my Giroux, Jarry, and 17th. I’m tempted to take that deal, and immediately try to sell both pieces for modest picks. It frees up roster room for Kuemper and a streamer spot.
    I feel like you could do better for Giroux in a keep 6, but then again, if you feel you know the re-sell value on Kakko/Gibson, maybe it would turn out to be a decent deal.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I feel like you could do better for Giroux in a keep 6, but then again, if you feel you know the re-sell value on Kakko/Gibson, maybe it would turn out to be a decent deal.
    I thought that too, but literally nobody is biting on Jarry, lacking confidence in his keeper value. And it seems Giroux is viewed as over the hill by everyone. With neither guy in my keeper plans it feels like this is as good as it’s going to get.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd probably decide to keep Jarry/Giroux if that's that'd the return, unless Kakko nets you a guy as good as what you are sending out, plus a pick.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd take the pick upgrade deal, then try to trade those pieces away. If you don't do the trade, I'd keep Giroux.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk