Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Toffoli to Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [TRADE] Toffoli to Vancouver Canucks

The Pacific is wide open for the taking and if this trade works out half as well as the Miller one I won’t be surprised to see Vancouver making it to the 3rd round this spring which would more than justify this move.

I’ll admit that I don’t know a ton about Madden but something with the disappointment I hear with him being traded eerily seems like Cody Hodgson 2.0. It is still difficult for most super scrawny players to truely make an impact at the NHL level, Pettersson has absolutely defied those concerns but it’s still not all that common. Most modern “small” players who make it are still fairly thick like Suzuki or Domi.

Ultimately I don’t see too much to be concerned about.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    The Pacific is wide open for the taking and if this trade works out half as well as the Miller one I won’t be surprised to see Vancouver making it to the 3rd round this spring which would more than justify this move.

I’ll admit that I don’t know a ton about Madden but something with the disappointment I hear with him being traded eerily seems like Cody Hodgson 2.0. It is still difficult for most super scrawny players to truely make an impact at the NHL level, Pettersson has absolutely defied those concerns but it’s still not all that common. Most modern “small” players who make it are still fairly thick like Suzuki or Domi.

Ultimately I don’t see too much to be concerned about.

I think the only thing Hodgson & Madden have in common is size.

The stories about Hodgson in Van and then Buffalo were insane. His parents would rip the GM on his nightly ice time. He was a spoiled brat who wasn't happy with the silver spoon he was born with. He was shipped out of Van due to a self-entitled attitude that was like vitriol.

Madden is the opposite. Hard working team guy. He's a prospect you want to own.

Hodgson couldn't remove his head to see the ice. His arrogance ran him out of the league.

Remember Hodgson was traded for Kassian - a problem player Van thought they could work with while getting rid of one they knew they couldn't.

Madden was traded for a playoff run. Not self-knocks.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Hurts to see Madden move on, hopefully he gets a better opp in LA.

I see TT on the top line with BB out - Loui clicking to well with Bo and Pearson - but will have to wait and see.

Seems crazy to make this move, can't be the only one Benning makes.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Boeser likely isn't coming back this season, per their GM. So, if you're waiting on Toffoli because of Boeser hanging over his head, he isn't.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow...8 weeks. This all makes sense now. They actually NEED Toffoli.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

I’m very hard on JB and always have been (tbf at the time I was irate at the JT Miller trade as was majority of the fan base but man has Miller ever proven everyone wrong and JB right). But even I have to admit this trade is well done on his part.

For people concerned about this being a rental, there’s no need to be. The re-signing condition is a 4th meaning the Canucks basically already paid the value in full outside of that AKA very high likelihood both player-team already have spoken and have an idea that they’ll put pen to paper since the conditional pick is so low...in most true rental cases, conditional pick is usually high therefore a lesser prospect but that’s not the case here which should be pretty telling.

Good on JB to get this deal done before announcing the injuries which would have made the price even higher. I love that this rounds off our top6 when healthy. EP-Bo down the middle. Boeser, JT, Toffoli, Pearson/Virtanen instead of just having to rely on both the latter.

...and with regards to Madden, who cares. Centre is an organizational surplus and it means we didn’t have to give up a Hoglander or Juolevi or DiPietro etc. College players in their draft+whatever years rarely/never turn into studs. Effective NHLers if lucky. And we already got lucky with Gaudette who has a much more suited NHL body for the 3rd line than Madden would. In essence Madden never had a future with us except the 4th line with our logjam down the middle but that’s the beauty of JB and the scouts drafting so well. Turning a 3rd round pick in Madden into a perceived mid 2nd round value at the moment to be able to get a deal like this done.
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Toffoli getting PP1 per: Thomas Drance @ThomasDrance

Toffoli joining Horvat, Miller, Pettersson and Hughes on #Canucks
    PP1. In the bumper spot, with J.T. Miller sliding over to his downhill side on the left flank.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Veteran

Urgh. Benning likely new that Boeser was "done for the year". Now that I know it, I do not like this trade at all. Booooo. They didnt need to make the playoffs this year, funny how expectations change when a team starts seeing light. They still might not make the playoffs and if that happens this deal look very bad for Jim *unless they can sign TT to a longer term deal, and that should depend on what he shows us here.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    They didnt need to make the playoffs this year, funny how expectations change when a team starts seeing light.
    Hello?!?

- I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

Im not gonna watch that, no idea who that is and I dont really care. There is a difference between doing your best with what you have vs adding something to try and stay the same. The latter makes little sense to me.

Dobber Sports Genius

It's comedy gold!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    It's comedy gold!
    Right?
    It's up there with "Playoffs!?" and "Practice" Not quite as epic. Herm's not as animated but it's a classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Im not gonna watch that, no idea who that is and I dont really care. There is a difference between doing your best with what you have vs adding something to try and stay the same. The latter makes little sense to me.
    They added to stay the same so they wouldn't get worse. Staying the same = making playoffs. Not staying the same - means missing the playoffs.
    Boeser comes back for playoffs - they become better
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry for the attitude today folks. Not a good one.

I guess Benning feels he needs to make the playoffs this year to keep his job-maybe ownership has directed him.

At the start of the season expectation were “if we make the playoffs that would be great!”. But no one really thought it would happen. Now that weve had a stint near the top of a weak ass Pacific somehow its become expectation. Dangerous game they are playing. Benning likely isnt done and Id bet he goes all in at the expense of the future he stands not to be a part of. Its a year or two early for these types of deals.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

"You play to win the game." Herm is absolutely right in that clip.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Canucks core is already so young and Madden wasn't going to be a key piece more like another Gaudette. The only prospect I wouldn't of added in this deal would of been Podkolzin. Making the playoffs even just to give our youngsters a taste is worth it IMO. Also with how weak the Pacific is looking we might even be able to win a round.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram