Thread: Trading Ovechkin?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Trading Ovechkin?

Hi all,

I'm facing a dilemma I imagine many Ovi owners are... when/if to trade him? He turns 35 before the start of next season, so you have to wonder how many great seasons he still has left in him... or is he a guy who will score 40+ goals every year until he retires?

Right now, I have a two-week window in my league where I can trade Ovi for anything, including top round picks. After that, our league has a trade freeze until the end of the season, and then we have a rule whereby teams can't trade picks from the first three rounds in the off season. So if I want good picks back, I have to move him in season; if youth, I can do it any time. I've let my league know I'm considering moving Ovi, and so far have one offer that consists of all picks (1st, 3rd, 4th). That first should be a top 3 pick, and three extra picks in the top 35 should give me a shot at building a pretty strong team for next year (I hold all my original 2020 picks ATM).

As you can see from my roster below, my team is, I think, in need of transition. Two of my long term keepers, Karlsson and Tarasenko, have been non-factors for two consecutive years. Keeper wise, other than OV, my locks are Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, and probably Svechnikov and Barkov. After that, Guentzel, Teravainen, and Krug seem like surer bets at the moment in comparison to Karlsson and Tarasenko. Lehner and Murray are, I suppose, sort of X factors. So my options are 1) keep Ovi, go for it next year; 2) trade Ovi, using the extra picks to help me compete next year; or 3) trade Ovi for youth, which will likely me being less competitive next year.

Thoughts? How are other Ovi owners in keeper leagues handling the prospect of an 'elderly' Ovechkin?
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Trading Ovechkin?

In my keeper we keep 10 so I basically won't consider trading him because the players available there are mid tier at best.

For you though it's a lot more interesting. If you're not going to win this year I would consider it but it would have to be for a 1st and a stud young player who someone might not be keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    In my keeper we keep 10 so I basically won't consider trading him because the players available there are mid tier at best.

For you though it's a lot more interesting. If you're not going to win this year I would consider it but it would have to be for a 1st and a stud young player who someone might not be keeping.
    Only really interesting young player this one GM has on his roster is Pettersson. Don't think it's possible to to get him -- or if so, probably with little by way of additional picks. Next two best options are Binnington and Q. Hughes.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Only really interesting young player this one GM has on his roster is Pettersson. Don't think it's possible to to get him -- or if so, probably with little by way of additional picks. Next two best options are Binnington and Q. Hughes.
    One way to approach this is say that you appreciate the offer and think there’s something to build around, but a key piece you’d need is also a young stud coming back as part of any deal. Talk up how consistent Ovi is, that his type of goal scoring (firing shots from a specific spot on the ice on the PP) really ages well and that he’s showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Offers so far:

-- 3 draft picks (1st, 3rd, 4th), no significant player (might be able to add Landeskog if I drop one of those two later picks)
    -- M. Tkachuk + 1st and 3rd (that first will be top 3)
    -- Vrana + 2nd and 4th (this one is a non-starter for me)

My counter offer on #3 is B. Tkachuk + 2nd and 3rd (he has no first to give).

Nothing super overwhelming so far, although M. Tkachuk is not a bad piece coming back.

Thoughts?
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Getting a Tkachuk in a hits league is pretty good. Of course Ovechkin in a hits league is great.

Vasilevskiy, Svechnikov, Kucherov, Guentzel, (winger TBD: Ovechkin/Tkachuk), and one of your options for spot #6 is pretty strong.

Have you thought about shopping Barkov?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Without FOW I’d look at shopping Barkov instead keeping Ovechkin and adding Svechnikov to your keepers. Plus keeping Guentzel over Tarasenko.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Getting a Tkachuk in a hits league is pretty good. Of course Ovechkin in a hits league is great.

Vasilevskiy, Svechnikov, Kucherov, Guentzel, (winger TBD: Ovechkin/Tkachuk), and one of your options for spot #6 is pretty strong.

Have you thought about shopping Barkov?

On Ovechkin, I mean, right, but that's the thing I'm wondering about... how much longer will Ovi perform at Ovi levels? If he has 2-3 more good years, then I should stick with him. If not, then I need to move on and get what I can for him.

For Barkov, yes, but it's not an easy market to shop players in. Too many sellers at the moment.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Without FOW I’d look at shopping Barkov instead keeping Ovechkin and adding Svechnikov to your keepers. Plus keeping Guentzel over Tarasenko.
    So you think Ovi still has 2-3 or more Ovi-like seasons in him, eh? To me, that's the rub.

Dropping Karlsson and Tarasenko... man, two years ago, that would have been absolutely unthinkable to me.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've stopped betting against Ovy being awesome. I think he has at least 3 more 40+ goal seasons, combined with his usual high number of PPPs, SOG and HITs (even if his hits cut in half he's still above average for a star forward).

In short I would have no problem keeping him next season. You've had a tough year with Tarasenko injury, Vasi being down and Karlsson another bad year. However a keeper core of:
    Ovy, Barkov, Kucherov, Tank, Vasilevsky, and Svenchnikov is pretty studly.

With a good draft you should be able to compete for a title the next 2-3 years. The only way I'm trading Ovy is if I get a young, impact player who has already proven something. Ovy for Pettersson + something would be pretty balanced, maybe straight up but I would not add to Ovy to get Pettersson.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR