Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: NHL Trade Deadline 2020

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NHL Trade Deadline 2020

On that note, is the floor like the cap ceiling at the deadline in that it would be harder to hit due to the distributive nature of the cap over the season, and the fact we're 75% of the way through to this point?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Guru

As players get injured and are sent to the minors, the amount of cap space available for the team changes. We look at it as an annual thing, but it fluctuates daily for teams depending on the moves.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    As players get injured and are sent to the minors, the amount of cap space available for the team changes. We look at it as an annual thing, but it fluctuates daily for teams depending on the moves.
    Right, but I'm wondering if the floor is a hard floor, or if the distance to it fluctuates as the season goes on. Never really heard anyone discuss it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Titan

The way Twitter is talking, they are only like 7-7.5mill over the cap. So there must be some adjusted cap min based on the date.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The way Twitter is talking, they are only like 7-7.5mill over the cap. So there must be some adjusted cap min based on the date.
    That doesn't make sense though, because they should be farther from it as the season goes on, not closer to. If they spend 75% of the season spending 70M, then to not hit an actual amount of 60M paid over a full season, they would have to pay less than 8M for the last quarter (I know that math sounds crazy).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    That doesn't make sense though, because they should be farther from it as the season goes on, not closer to. If they spend 75% of the season spending 70M, then to not hit an actual amount of 60M paid over a full season, they would have to pay less than 8M for the last quarter (I know that math sounds crazy).
    At first I thought you were talking crazy, but now I see your point. My understanding is that cap compliance has to be maintained daily during the season, with minor leeway given to make the necessary roster changes to be compliant should a team fall out of compliance. But what you're asking is does the team have to reach a sum total (hey, calculus!) dollar value over the course of a season to be within cap parameters? The short answer is no, otherwise you'd see a lot more teams outside of the cap floor/ceiling at the start of the season with the expectation that they'd shed or acquire salary at a later date.

So the floor is the floor, the cap is the cap, and you have to be within those two essentially at all times. Now, that doesn't mean that salaries+bonuses paid have to equal the cap hit. So theoretically if you acquired a bunch of signing-bonus laden, front-loaded contracts at the deadline your actual $ paid won't be anywhere near the cap hit but you'll still be compliant. Perversely, you'd be helping the players and the NHLPA as that behavior would help offset cap overages, thus reducing the escrow burden.

Dobber Sports Titan

I honestly don't know. I've tried thinking about it different ways, but nothing adds up in my head.

I'd be REALLY happy if someone explained it, but I can't. I've tried learning the CBA and the NHL Cap rules...And the deadline cap is something I can't fathom

Dobber Sports Titan

I honestly don't know. I've tried thinking about it different ways, but nothing adds up in my head.

I'd be REALLY happy if someone explained it, but I can't. I've tried learning the CBA and the NHL Cap rules...And the deadline cap is something I can't fathom
    The deadline cap is pretty straightforward I find, I just don't know if the floor is done using the same mechanics, or not.

Dobber Sports Titan

The deadline cap is pretty straightforward I find, I just don't know if the floor is done using the same mechanics, or not.
    Ya sorry, I mean like cap as in Upper and lower limit. I'm sure if Vatanen, Palmeiri or Simmonds gets moved, it'll become more news worthy and we'll learn.

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya sorry, I mean like cap as in Upper and lower limit. I'm sure if Vatanen, Palmeiri or Simmonds gets moved, it'll become more news worthy and we'll learn.
    That's the best time to learn cap related things is when one team is right in the middle of dealing with it (usually Toronto).

Dobber Sports Titan

That's the best time to learn cap related things is when one team is right in the middle of dealing with it (usually Toronto).
    I learned from the Marner sega that I will not waste my time trying to figure out what Toronto can do with the cap lol.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Devils could take back a bad contract or two when dealing these guys so I don't see the cap floor as a problem. Since the rumours surrounding Vancouver continue I will say names like Baertchi, Loui, heck maybe even Ferland (currently on LTIR so cap relieved). All those can be sent back with a prospect(s) or AHL guys the nucks have given up on - Goldobin - and maybe even a roster player to help NJ deal with the cap floor without retaining salary.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dreger just reported on TSN that Namestikov is a healthy scratch. Says he will be traded whether today or tomorrow, it will happen. Leafs inquired on him.

Leafs also taking calls on Barrie. Looking to possibly take what they could get for Barrie and package it for the R-shot D they've been seeking per Bob McKenzie.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Rangers finally make a goalie deal! (I didn't say it was a major goalie deal)

Rangers acquire J-F Berube from Flyers for future considerations. Gives Flyers room to move Ustimenko to Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL Flyers) from Reading (ECHL Flyers), gives Rangers some org depth once they deal a NHL roster goalie.

http://www.phantomshockey.com/flyers...way-ustimenko/

These are likely the future considerations, which are guys going from the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL Rangers) to the Phantoms (AHL Flyers):

http://www.phantomshockey.com/phanto...erter-gossage/
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    Dreger just reported on TSN that Namestikov is a healthy scratch. Says he will be traded whether today or tomorrow, it will happen. Leafs inquired on him.

Leafs also taking calls on Barrie. Looking to possibly take what they could get for Barrie and package it for the R-shot D they've been seeking per Bob McKenzie.
    It's really the only way they move him out. At it'll take a lot of work I think. Not impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it.