Thread: How Do You Keep Up on Your Team?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How Do You Keep Up on Your Team?

When there's multiple games in any given night, how do you know how your guys are really performing short of just looking at stats?

IE: I just picked up Fiala last week. Last night he was pointless and had I not seen any of the game I may have drawn conclusions that weren't accurate. I could look at his TOI and his SOG, etc. but that doesn't really tell me the things I really want to know. I happened to catch OT last night and Fiala was flying. Simply the best player on the ice for either team but how would I know that if I hadn't actually seen it with my own eyes? Now, I wonder if I'm drawing wrong conclusions on how a particular players night went by not actually seeing them play which is next to impossible when the game slate is heavy.

NHL.tv has been an incredible resource for me. Catching as many games as I can much to the chagrin of my sports hating wife.

Do you watch the 6-8 min game recaps or just rely on box scores, advanced stats, etc.?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How Do You Keep Up on Your Team?

It is way too much effort to keep up with every game for every player, especially once you have 5+ leagues going. I just follow twitter, look at the stats, and watch a game or two when I can. If someone's numbers seem really out of wack, I'll look into it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It is way too much effort to keep up with every game for every player, especially once you have 5+ leagues going. I just follow twitter, look at the stats, and watch a game or two when I can. If someone's numbers seem really out of wack, I'll look into it.
    For me, I have a group of players that are kind of in the Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" mode like McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Stone, Pettersson, etc. I don't need to see those guys to know I want to keep them around.

This site, and especially Dobber's paid materials, have been a tremendous resource for bringing guys to my attention who I may have missed while combing through lists of stats here or at NHL.com. Like you, I rely a lot on Twitter, too. It's pretty hard for someone to fall through the cracks if you're monitoring these great resources. You want the guys others are talking about. If they ain't talking about them, you probably don't want them.

I do think, for me, it's important to allocate time to recent pickups to see how they actually look. I try to do that before I pick someone up. I might have a thing for someone based on things I'm reading but until I see them it could go either way. I may see and decide they're everything and more that I've heard, or watch and wonder how they ever got talked about in the first place. Usually, it's the former.

Frozen Tools is really fun. Plugging up to 10 guys you're thinking of potentially adding into the comparison tool and looking at the comparison and then trying to get a glimpse of them in action is a hoot. Really makes this fun. If I couldn't see the guys play, this wouldn't be half the fun that it is.

The reason I posted this is without seeing someone you really don't know how they actually look and you may or not want them based on what you see. Always discouraging when you're on the fence about adding someone new to your roster and then they post a donut for you. It makes you antsy and ready to move on to someone else. Seeing Fiala in action last night and recalling the recent Guerin quote where he called him "driven" matched up with what I saw. He was digging in OT. I missed the rest of the game but man he looked good in OT giving me comfort that I have a guy who even if he goes pointless for me over a few games is hard charging and things will come.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I may be in the minority, but I don't watch games (except for leafs games, but that's not for fantasy, it's just cause they're my team). I may occasionally turn on a random game while I'm giving the kid a bottle or something, but I just use stats, articles and podcasts, all of which I enjoy (plus some forum advice). Seems to be working for me, I'm first overall in my main league and second overall in my work league. I want this to be fun, not another job. I get the 'eye test' argument for evaluating players, but there's something to be said for letting the numbers speak for themselves.
    Also, maybe it's the engineer in me, but I enjoy the statistics and numbers almost as much as the hockey.
    Yahoo 10 team H2H league (1 year)
    Positions: 2C, 4W, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN
    Forward Categories: G, A, P,+/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW
    Goalie Categories: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: A. Matthews, A. Kopitar, V. Trochek
    W: P. Kane, B. Tkachuk, J. Guentzel, E. Kane, T. Hall, T. Hertl, T. Teravainen
    D: D. Hamilton, V. Hedman, A. Pietrangelo, Mike Reilly
    G: S. Varlamov, R. Lehner, P. Grubauer
    IR: J. Eichel

Dobber Sports Monster

I rely pretty heavily on the stats. If a player has gone cold I usually first look at their last 10 or so games and see if theyre providing anything. How much ice time are they getting, are they demoted onto a lower line, etc. If there's nothing out of the ordinary I usually just assume theyll bounce back. Generally speaking I have in my head what my expectations are for each player and how long the leash should be for them. If a player who doesnt have a track record goes cold Ill probably just drop them outright. If a proven player goes cold, I'll google their name and see if theres any articles about their slump, or check on twitter to see if any beat reporters have a scoop - playing injured, in coaches dog house, etc. The odd time youll see 'player x is really flying tonight, has hit multiple posts' which helps paint a clearer picture than a blank stats sheet. But for the most part, it's just a matter of trusting what I already know about the player and what their recent stats say.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry