Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re-launched DobberHockey Look

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Re-launched DobberHockey Look

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    2. The menu disappears at less than a 17" window width, and is replaced by the mobile drop down look. In my opinion, this would be better if it went away at a much narrower width. Ideally, resize the words on the menu so they shrink a bit before going away. I like the way teh forum header behaves much better.
    Yup. I have a 16" laptop screen and I tend to have a split screen thing going on with Chrome, so the top banner will always be collapsed for me in this setup. I would imagine there are lots and lots of fantasy people with laptops (ie students) with screens of 15" or even 13" which are the common macbook (or otherwise) screen sizes.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    This is still a thing. May 8, 2018, every time.
    Great picture of Brind'Amour on that ramblings but I'd much rather quick link to the most recent ramblings (like it used to). My browser is pre loaded to the forum page, generally I check that out then like to link to the ramblings. I'll be honest I haven't been reading the ramblings consistently since that changed back in January/February.
    Fixed now!
    Shit, sorry about that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    The new header doesn't stay dark on most pages:
    https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/b/0K1U6
    Attachment 4759

The new website is almost ready, some of the things we're doing in the background are leaking onto the main site. But it will be awesome when we launch, very soon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Yup. I have a 16" laptop screen and I tend to have a split screen thing going on with Chrome, so the top banner will always be collapsed for me in this setup. I would imagine there are lots and lots of fantasy people with laptops (ie students) with screens of 15" or even 13" which are the common macbook (or otherwise) screen sizes.
    Proper menu coming with launch, very soon
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Fixed now!
    Shit, sorry about that

- - - Updated - - -

The new website is almost ready, some of the things we're doing in the background are leaking onto the main site. But it will be awesome when we launch, very soon

- - - Updated - - -

Proper menu coming with launch, very soon
    Great to hear it thanks

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Wolverine

Thanks for the ongoing work.

I know it's not final yet and I can see changes being made, but wanted to give some interim feedback:

'Next set of posts' at bottom

The functionality that keeps loading posts is really annoying if you were at the bottom of the page. The bottom information bar doesn't stay still as posts above try to keep loading and keeps pushing it down. You need to have an end point. Keep the main articles on the main page and then have a link/sub-section that goes to an archive (i.e. the sub-sections listed in the menu bar). This functionality puts me off other websites and don't want it to put me off this one.

Articles' images on homepage

There are far too many, and for me it looks like the graphics are more of the focus than the content. Personally, I don't care that much seeing a photo of a player who is mentioned in the article. As mentioned in earlier feedback, you can focus on a few recent/higher profile articles but then list the rest without photos below. This website is about content, not graphics, and feel it would be more professional looking that way.

Snippet content

I don't see the point of showing a snippet of the article content on the main page when users can just click the title. Surely that's enough?

Too much scrolling

Because of the images and the snippet content, users have to scroll more down the page. I assume for those on smartphones (I don't have one) that it would be even less user friendly given the screen size.

Duplicate links into article

You have a link on the photo (with an unnecessary 'slide in' graphic), the article title link, and a 'read more' at the bottom of the snippet. Are all three links necessary? It's overkill.

Article archive sections

These should be in simple lists, rather than showing a large photo with a snippet again for each article. As above, more scrolling makes it less user friendly.

These are my suggestions so far after a quick look. I'm sure you're still working on it and appreciate the work to make it better.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks for the ongoing work.

I know it's not final yet and I can see changes being made, but wanted to give some interim feedback:

'Next set of posts' at bottom

The functionality that keeps loading posts is really annoying if you were at the bottom of the page. The bottom information bar doesn't stay still as posts above try to keep loading and keeps pushing it down. You need to have an end point. Keep the main articles on the main page and then have a link/sub-section that goes to an archive (i.e. the sub-sections listed in the menu bar). This functionality puts me off other websites and don't want it to put me off this one.
    Thank you for your feedback, I love that you care enough to provide it - most people don't. And that doesn't help me
    The add more posts works properly on the new site. That is ready even now. You'll see, and approve.

Articles' images on homepage

There are far too many, and for me it looks like the graphics are more of the focus than the content. Personally, I don't care that much seeing a photo of a player who is mentioned in the article. As mentioned in earlier feedback, you can focus on a few recent/higher profile articles but then list the rest without photos below. This website is about content, not graphics, and feel it would be more professional looking that way.
    We're going to have two aside, and helpful widgets down the right side. Images will be smaller on home page, and article intro boxes look nice. This is mostly done right now, for when we launch.

Snippet content

I don't see the point of showing a snippet of the article content on the main page when users can just click the title. Surely that's enough?
    Well, we need to hook you and reel you in!

Too much scrolling

Because of the images and the snippet content, users have to scroll more down the page. I assume for those on smartphones (I don't have one) that it would be even less user friendly given the screen size.
    The new site I see on my phone, and you'll see when I launch, seems to be much better for this

Duplicate links into article

You have a link on the photo (with an unnecessary 'slide in' graphic), the article title link, and a 'read more' at the bottom of the snippet. Are all three links necessary? It's overkill.
    I'll think about this one for when we do the final testing before launch, and do our final tweaks

Article archive sections

These should be in simple lists, rather than showing a large photo with a snippet again for each article. As above, more scrolling makes it less user friendly.

These are my suggestions so far after a quick look. I'm sure you're still working on it and appreciate the work to make it better.
    I'll look into this too

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, I love that you care enough to provide it - most people don't. And that doesn't help me
    Happy to help. I just see loads of modern websites too focused on bells and whistles and less on the content, which it makes it less likely I would re-visit. I don't want yours to go the same way.

The add more posts works properly on the new site. That is ready even now. You'll see, and approve.
    Ok I'll have another look when it's ready. For me, though, if you stick with the new posts, I don't like that it automatically loads them. That is really annoying - I can't emphasise that enough. I'd rather you put a button saying 'load more' or something, rather than scrolling down and then it loads again, and scrolling more, and then it loads again, etc. There needs to be an end point and the choice should be on the user if they want to see more. Or add links to see more in an archive. etc.

Also, will the top bar/menu be frozen so it remains visible when you scroll down?

We're going to have two aside, and helpful widgets down the right side. Images will be smaller on home page, and article intro boxes look nice. This is mostly done right now, for when we launch.
    Ok will look out for this, thanks.

Well, we need to hook you and reel you in!
    Have no idea about others but if the title doesn't hook me in then the first couple sentences won't either. I still feel it's unnecessary, and just adds additional space to the page leading to more scrolling.

The new site I see on my phone, and you'll see when I launch, seems to be much better for this
    How much difference will there be for those using a smartphone, a tablet/kindle and/or a laptop/PC?

I'll think about this one for when we do the final testing before launch, and do our final tweaks
    Ok thanks. I still feel the 'slide in' graphic unnecessary. It doesn't add anything. There's a button to make the photo bigger, which is done when we click into the article anyway. It's focused too much on graphics. Keep it simple.

I'll look into this too
    Ok thanks.

Look forward to the finished product!

I...am your father.

Was hoping to launch today, ran into a few dozen minor errors that are being picked off one at a time, but is causing a delay that I hope won't be longer than another day or two...

The top bar/menu remains visible on desktop. Not on mobile, but there is an arrow that shoots you back up to the top.

Mobile: Scrolling down gives you the four articles same as current. Then four widgets/features (one is schedule, one is line combos, one is starting goalies, one is current hot players). Then back to articles for a couple more. Then the footer. You have the option to load more articles.
    Desktop: widgets are on the right side

The Wolverine

Thanks for the update. Should a kindle fall under the mobile look?

I...am your father.

It's pretty responsive, and adjusts for any screen size. I suspect Kindle is small enough to show mobile look

Dobber Sports Monster

The new look is awesome! Really slick.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry