Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New design missing non-mobile styles

I...am your father.

Default Re: New design missing non-mobile styles

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Good to hear that the new layout is a work in progress.
    Not impressed so far.
    Dobbers article day 1 ended abruptly with paragraph about Fabbri’s injury. It would appear the rest of The a Ramblings were missing.
    Finicky to navigate on home computer and iPad. I do not use my phone.
    No comment section on Ramblings.

Awaiting final product before rendering opinion on changes. Cheers
    This one I didn't know about until later today. I fixed.

As I've been saying, you can pretty much refresh DobberHockey every half hour and there will be a change/fix/adjustment/tweak that has been done. It looks adequate now, but these fixes will continue throughout the week and then hopefully next week I can add fun new things.

Not impressed so far.
    I should hope not. I said in advance you wouldn't be, but to give me until Friday for the fixes - and then next week to get you impressed.

Today we - fixed the font size and style, added a fun new hyperlink look but I don't like it on mobile so we'll fix that font. Fixed the menu. There was an issue with mobile via the main page and that was a complicated one in that it didn't put the picture on until you hovered, and it was just a paragraph of words. Couldn't be fixed quickly so we 'temporarily' set the look to "grid". This makes it look bad on PC now. Well, not "bad", but...plain. Boring. But adequate for now. Mobile is now usable this way. When the fix is done, we'll set it back and both looks will be better.

Comments section is coming. I am switching to Facebook for commenting because Disqus was getting stupider with their ugly ads and frankly I suspect they were responsible for some redirects. Facebook is just easier.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    ThAttachment 4716

This is my homepage on mobile... Help?
    Hope this is no longer the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I have to applaud the Dobber Crew for trying to make this site more workable and usable. We all know to expect some hiccups along the way.

Thank you. Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Much much better now than this morning. Keep up the great work guys. Cheers
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Today, it's better. I can get clicking to work to get to all the articles, whether I left or right click.

I do miss having a "menu bar" where I can just go to forum, starting goalies, etc. I'm not a fan of the drop-down menu only. I may end up bookmarking the forums only, and then use that to navigate to the articles.
    I miss that too. Will try to get that on there somewhere, I love that thing.

The good news is that all these hiccups can be applied to the DobberProspect relaunch in advance, making that one easier.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Glad to see you guys are responding to feedback. I'm interested to see how it goes. Are you guys doing the layout & stuff yourselves, and if so, how are you teaching yourself whatever package you are using?

I'm the president of a social organization that is redesigning our website with WordPress, and look forward to seeing how yours goes. We had a webmaster a number of years ago, but the position went vacant, then somebody took over the task, went inactive after changing things up a bit, so it was dormant and half-assed, then stagnant. I used to be sort of okay at rudimentary html, but our guy who will host us for free needs it be WordPress, so WordPress it is.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Wolverine

Thanks for the updates and responding to feedback.

It does look better than before, including the font improvement, but there are still a few things I don't like. Not sure if this will change but hope you consider the feedback.

Loading next set of posts - at the bottom of the page. Too much this constant loading as you go down the page. There needs to be an end point. Like my above suggestions, limit the number of articles on the main page and then for the rest provide links to the categories/author/archive (however you do it).

Too many photos - you don't need a photo for every article. It's overkill. I come here for information, not for photos. If you want photos for the main/recent articles, fine, but then just list the others below with the aforementioned links to various sections to find the rest. Also, when you go into the article, the photo is huge. It's unnecessary.

Blue 'cover' when you hover over article - don't see the point of that at all. The summary is already there so that is redundant as well. Just link the article.

I haven't looked in more detail yet but I know you'll be continuing to make improvements.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Good improvement this morning guys. The font size fix is a relief. Now it's perfectly readable.

I also like the new article display on the front page. You can get a better view in a flash of what is there to read today. Being able to see just one banner on a whole screen and having to scroll non-stop to browse articles is frustrating. Especially since hoovering over a banner makes it blue. It kinda masks the whole screen.

Keep it up, folks. We know programming is harder to predict than it seems.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks for the updates and responding to feedback.

It does look better than before, including the font improvement, but there are still a few things I don't like. Not sure if this will change but hope you consider the feedback.

Loading next set of posts - at the bottom of the page. Too much this constant loading as you go down the page. There needs to be an end point. Like my above suggestions, limit the number of articles on the main page and then for the rest provide links to the categories/author/archive (however you do it).
    I think this is pretty standard now for all new websites. But I may do this and add a 'show more' link

Too many photos - you don't need a photo for every article. It's overkill. I come here for information, not for photos. If you want photos for the main/recent articles, fine, but then just list the others below with the aforementioned links to various sections to find the rest. Also, when you go into the article, the photo is huge. It's unnecessary.
    The photo fits the screen. Tiny on mobile, massive on my 32-inch monitor. I'll check in with my programmer.

Blue 'cover' when you hover over article - don't see the point of that at all. The summary is already there so that is redundant as well. Just link the article.
    I haven't looked in more detail yet but I know you'll be continuing to make improvements.
    Another good thought

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

The photo fits the screen. Tiny on mobile, massive on my 32-inch monitor. I'll check in with my programmer
    I think what was meant, is that it may work well having only the first 3-4 showing a photo, and then listing the next 10 or so in a clean panel on the side. Provides the ability to scan quickly if someone missed an article they want to read from the last few days. The photos are fun, but they don't add anything productive past the first couple that give the visual appeal. After the first few links, readers start to scan, and will be more likely to click to read something in the next 10 seconds if they can see a title (in my opinion).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I think this is pretty standard now for all new websites. But I may do this and add a 'show more' link

The photo fits the screen. Tiny on mobile, massive on my 32-inch monitor. I'll check in with my programmer.

Another good thought
    Thanks for your reply. For the 'load more' part, yeah I appreciate it may be more common on newer websites, but in my opinion it doesn't make it more user friendly. After awhile people will get fed up after scrolling down the page. But even with the 'show more' suggestion, it will result in more scrolling. Why not cut the number of articles to highlight and then list/link to the others? We don't need endless scrolling. I don't feel it will necessarily add clicks, rather people will get tired of it. I know I would. But if you wanted more articles shown quickly and easy to find, just list them by date/category. Perhaps even have a 'recent by category/author' section and then if they want to see more, then can go to the menu or a link below takes them there.

For the photo issue, there are two issues. One is the size, which you addressed, and the other is the amount (EB also clarified below)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think what was meant, is that it may work well having only the first 3-4 showing a photo, and then listing the next 10 or so in a clean panel on the side. Provides the ability to scan quickly if someone missed an article they want to read from the last few days. The photos are fun, but they don't add anything productive past the first couple that give the visual appeal. After the first few links, readers start to scan, and will be more likely to click to read something in the next 10 seconds if they can see a title (in my opinion).
    Yeah all these photos don't add anything. It just add space and results in more scrolling. And on the articles themselves, really don't need a photo at all. But if you insist on including one, make it much smaller.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like it. All of it.

I'm sure you'll tweak it here and there, but it looks fine to me.

Regardless of what you do there will be opinions for and against.

Lay down a framework that is easy to maintain with as much ability to incorporate new features when the time comes.

Web development is difficult and your audience is picky.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Really miss the quick navigation bar.
    IMO, base it on screen size dynamically.
    Have the nav bar for wider screens (desktops, large tablets) and the dropdown nav for smaller mobile devices.
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Expert

Been many years since I posted in the forum. I love this site, but the redesign is borderline unusable on desktop. Text for each post fills the entire screen from edge-to-edge, which is a chore to read. Changing font size doesn't help - I either end up with very tiny text, or very large text, that still goes edge-to-edge. I work with wordpress/website development too, and I know each post can be formatted to display in a specific size, with the ability to make it edge-to-edge if you want to by way of size increases on the user side.

That's my strongest take-away from the redesign. The parts of the site I use most are Ramblings, injury posts, and trade breakdowns.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I like it. All of it.

I'm sure you'll tweak it here and there, but it looks fine to me.

Regardless of what you do there will be opinions for and against.

Lay down a framework that is easy to maintain with as much ability to incorporate new features when the time comes.

Web development is difficult and your audience is picky.
    Thank you. This has been done, and was the real key here - framework in place is now (finally) easy to maintain with much ability to incorporate new features. Changes will be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by valec View Post
    Really miss the quick navigation bar.
    IMO, base it on screen size dynamically.
    Have the nav bar for wider screens (desktops, large tablets) and the dropdown nav for smaller mobile devices.
    This is how it is.
    Quick navigation bar I hope to put back on. Give it a week.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    Been many years since I posted in the forum. I love this site, but the redesign is borderline unusable on desktop. Text for each post fills the entire screen from edge-to-edge, which is a chore to read. Changing font size doesn't help - I either end up with very tiny text, or very large text, that still goes edge-to-edge. I work with wordpress/website development too, and I know each post can be formatted to display in a specific size, with the ability to make it edge-to-edge if you want to by way of size increases on the user side.

That's my strongest take-away from the redesign. The parts of the site I use most are Ramblings, injury posts, and trade breakdowns.
    This will be fixed. 'Chore' seems a strong word, but I get that it's not currently optimal. I appreciate the feedback