Thread: Criteria for Dropping Someone?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Criteria for Dropping Someone?

Everyone is different, but I'm interested in how you decide you're moving on from a player. How much rope do you give them before you make a move on them?

I'm partially asking this because of a player like Kubalik. Guy goes on an incredible heater that you know isn't lasting, and then goes cold posting zeroes in 4 straight games and gets less than 13 minutes TOI last night.

Have read that he's among the lowest in the league on secondary assists which is good and not good at same time. He has no NHL track record. TOI is fluctuating to dangerously low levels. To me, it feels like he's over. Yesterday's news kind of a thing.

Just taking him as an example. When do you cut the cord? No points in 4 games. Fluctuating TOI not great when at its peak and alarming when at its lows.

For me, he's on thin ice. I'm contemplating moving off him today. Is that a rash reaction? What would you be looking for in holding or dropping him and how are you calibrated for this generally speaking?
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Criteria for Dropping Someone?

Cold streaks happen. Especially for rookies.
    My criteria is pretty simple. There must be a better option on the waiver wire to meet your needs. Rest of week to get an extra game - rest of season someone that will be more productive.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Cold streaks happen. Especially for rookies.
    My criteria is pretty simple. There must be a better option on the waiver wire to meet your needs. Rest of week to get an extra game - rest of season someone that will be more productive.
    Do you consider things like this RE: Kubalik... When he was riding high he was pacing for 55 points. Now, he's pacing for 50. His SH% is high at 17.9% leading you to believe he's falling back further. I see 50-55 point guys like Palat on the waiver wire. He doesn't excite me but I think he's as good, or better than Kubalik ROS. SH% is a little high but getting more TOI and has played up with big boys on line 1 so that possibility exists.

I think I'm going to hold until we hit 5 or 6 games with no production and low ice and then moving on.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Unless you need hits... I don't make the swap for Palat.
    I prefer Kubalik ROS.
    Every 50-60pt player is going to give you multiple pointless streaks of 4-6 games in a season.
    that's just the nature of it.
    Only really Lehner played well vs. Bos. they just got dominated last night

If this is a keeper league. I hang onto Kubalik through thick and thin. He's got another level

No hits needed. Re-draft. Points-only. I'm in a battle for top seed. It's me right now but guy I'm playing this week takes that from me if he wins this week and he' up 10 but has had the advantage number of games wise so far, and better matchups. I need to make up that deficit and am spinning trying to figure out how to do it. I don't play goalies usually and am hoping Elvis is going vs. Red Wings. That should give me some extra there if he starts. I'd need to drop someone and Kubalik is the guy I have pegged as my most droppable right now. I'm also livid with Fantasy wrecking HC Quinn of the NYR. I wanted to stream Buchnevich for the Leafs game especially with Hutch in net last night but he benched him the previous game so I was concerned he was in the doghouse and the guy has a 3-point night that would've brought me right there with the guy I need to beat this week. Lost that so need to make it up. Thinking Elvis and possibility of shutout vs. Wings is real. That's 8 points in my league.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

Dobber Sports Veteran

Analysis Paralysis

lucafen4's first comment pretty much nails it.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    No hits needed. Re-draft. Points-only. I'm in a battle for top seed. It's me right now but guy I'm playing this week takes that from me if he wins this week and he' up 10 but has had the advantage number of games wise so far, and better matchups. I need to make up that deficit and am spinning trying to figure out how to do it. I don't play goalies usually and am hoping Elvis is going vs. Red Wings. That should give me some extra there if he starts. I'd need to drop someone and Kubalik is the guy I have pegged as my most droppable right now. I'm also livid with Fantasy wrecking HC Quinn of the NYR. I wanted to stream Buchnevich for the Leafs game especially with Hutch in net last night but he benched him the previous game so I was concerned he was in the doghouse and the guy has a 3-point night that would've brought me right there with the guy I need to beat this week. Lost that so need to make it up. Thinking Elvis and possibility of shutout vs. Wings is real. That's 8 points in my league.
    So you're looking Rest of Week effectively. That changes things vs. ROS.

Minn - Van, @CBJ, Col
    Buf, Det @NYR, Anh
    Col, - @Ott @CBJ, Minn
    Wpg - @Stl, Ott, Chi
    LA - @NYI, @NJ @NYR

all have 3 games remaining this week. Some great compressed value for a streamer.

There should be at least one solid streaming option from these teams on the wire.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Elvis is currently tied for the lead league in shutouts. In your settings, he's a must-start against the Red Wings, and I realize how brutal that goalie scoring is set up.

I only play in dynasty leagues, but I am looking for a better option on the wire, like others have said. Every offseason things change a ton. The shallow one is 330 players, the deep one is a 900 players and a cap league. When dealing with that level of depth, the bottom of the roster gets churned when a guy starts getting scratched if he a vet, or if he gets a new contract, and he's going to get pricey after the year, and he's just a guy I have for depth, and there are other options who will be cheaper. The 330 player league is in my sig, and that's only a few moves a year for me usually, unless I get injury decimated, as there's no IR.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Elvis is currently tied for the lead league in shutouts. In your settings, he's a must-start against the Red Wings, and I realize how brutal that goalie scoring is set up.

I only play in dynasty leagues, but I am looking for a better option on the wire, like others have said. Every offseason things change a ton. The shallow one is 330 players, the deep one is a 900 players and a cap league. When dealing with that level of depth, the bottom of the roster gets churned when a guy starts getting scratched if he a vet, or if he gets a new contract, and he's going to get pricey after the year, and he's just a guy I have for depth, and there are other options who will be cheaper. The 330 player league is in my sig, and that's only a few moves a year for me usually, unless I get injury decimated, as there's no IR.
    I've streamed Elvis before and I was waiting to see if Kivlenieks is going vs. Wings as they have back to back with Avs on the other side. Thought they might give the easier task to Kivlenieks and save Elvis for Colorado.

Also, looking to see who is in net for NYR vs. Sabres who are reeling. I may try and stream two goalies Friday night, which is something I've never done.

Can't imagine being in such a deep league and dynasty. I think about fantasy hockey constantly and if I was in a dynasty league I would be thinking about it 365. I probably need the mental break redraft affords as this has been all consuming as evidenced by the comments that come back to a lot of my posts about overthinking.

I appreciate the simplification in the answers back but how do you "know" who is going to be more productive than someone you're dropping? You don't. I agonize over those decisions hoping, like anyone, to be correct. Not sure how you eliminate overthinking as it feels necessary to make the best decision. I do try to play the extra game angle as much as possible without potentially losing a ROS option by placing him on the wire only to try and get him back later.

For now, I'm pondering making McCann, Dumba, Kubalik waiver fodder to stream other options. Dumba and Kubalik both have Sunday games so I might just drop McCann and use his spot for a stream of Elvis. May drop Kubalik, too, and stream Georgiev or the rook depending on who starts and then pick up another Hawk for Sunday.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3